Gaming Do I need to upgrade cfw?

unpaidassassin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a psp that I never really used but a friend put cfw on it. It currently has 4.01 M33-2 version of custom firmware.

I'm getting some games now but not sure if they'll all play with the current cfw. All the games are just psp games so no roms or playstation1 converts.

I'm looking for a memory stick pro duo so can't transfer the games over and check just yet.

Also is this all I have to do to play the iso files (so far no other format):
1. Format memory stick pro duo when put into psp
2. Plug memory stick into pc using adapter
3. Create a new folder labeled "Iso" in the main directory of the mem stick
4. Transfer the iso file (which appears as an archived file that winrar can open) to the "Iso" folder
5. Put the mem stick back into psp and load the game from there?

so how's that? and if I need to upgrade can someone walk me through it? I only have 1 mem stick 9that I'm looking for) so no magicmemstick or any of that stuff my friend used to get cfw on my psp

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Where are you getting them from? Are they labelled as patched?

Many of the games you'll get, if patched, should work on 4.01 but some may not requiring elements from the 5.xx firmwares. I'd probably suggest updating to 5.00M33-6 if you have a good source or 5.50 Prometheus if you don't (until you learn a little bit more about the pro's and con's yourself and can make a more informed decision).

When you format the MS in the PSP it'll create all the folders so you just need to connect up the PSP to the PC via the USB connection and drag and drop into that ISO folder.

unpaidassassin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm searching some release lists for group and filename if mentioned. Then check torrents or whatever file hosting site a Google search shows.

So far I have four .iso files (guessing it's safe that it's listed as a winrar archive). these as well as the current downloads make no mention of any patch (either in name or any description/comments).

I guess the only way to tell if a game iso works is to transfer it to mem stick and put in psp. If it doesn't work I'm guessing it just won't open (NOT open and work partially only to crash/freeze).

It'll probably take more work for me just to update now. want to get some games since I have to go on some stupid trip for this program

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
xist said:
Where are you getting them from?
Woah, careful how you ask that.
rolleyes.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't mean specifically....i was thinking torrents/forums/dumps, although looking at the way i wrote that i can see the problem. Whoops!

unpaidassassin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
I didn't mean specifically....i was thinking torrents/forums/dumps, although looking at the way i wrote that i can see the problem. Whoops!

like I said some torrents and links to file hosting/sharing sites (in parts). what are "dumps"? if you mean a rip of the game, I have no idea since people who tag the torrents do bad jobs!

also can anyone else help?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Given you're probably getting scene releases most of the newer games won't work for you. At this point in your PSP career i'd suggest that you update to 5.50 Prometheus and then once you learn a little more consider 5.00M33-6.

unpaidassassin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might just try getting 5.50 Prometheus . how long will that take doing? remember I didn't get cfw on my psp in the first place
closedeyes.gif

well I did a quick test of the few games I put on (finally found my old mem stick used for camera!).

For the most part, the games ran fine without any noticeable problems. I just loaded the game and browsed the games' main menu and started a few games.

So far I found two problems. Half Minute Hero would not load (though the picture of the game is visible when I select from my games). Also like Half Minute Hero, the Prinny game does not have any audio when highlighting the game (not selecting it but when browsing the games). However, the Prinny game does play (audio works) as I quickly went through the tutorial level.

Now I guess HMH doesn't work since it was released in Q4 of 2009. Still not sure about Prinny which was released in Q1 of 2009 (though no audio when highlighting this game while browsing my games like others such as FF2). Another weird thing is that the iso for HMH has a modified date of 4/2/2007 (April 2nd 2007) which is before the game released anywhere. I checked the contents of the iso (in winrar) and all those seem to have correct dates; maybe someone's computer had the wrong date and i happened to have gotten that copy.

unpaidassassin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay I actually got my firmware to the CFW version 5.50 Prometheus! I used the sticky thread "How to softmod your PSP". it was a bit confusing and could have been written more clearly, but with that and some other forum tutorials found via Google, I was able to do it.

Now the one game that did not work for cfw 4.02 M33-2, Half Minute Hero, seems to work (at least get to main menu). Though right after selecting the game and the PSP loading occurred, the screen changed to a fuchsia like color (pink/purple) before the game started.

Also, the Prinny game and Half Minute Hero still do not have audio right while selecting it (not running). This is just a minor curious thing though.

Now to look for other games and some nice homebrew apps. want to find a nice text reader so I can bring some faqs/guides I got for some games!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
unpaidassassin said:
want to find a nice text reader so I can bring some faqs/guides I got for some games!

Bookr, or if you want to read .txt guides/faq's whilst playing use CWCheat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE