Hacking Do I need to convert R4/R4Wood saves to work on AK2i?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using my AK2i that I just got and it works fine. Transfered over all the games and saves from my R4 which I had running R4 Wood 1.05. Renamed all my saves back to the old gamename.sav format. But when I run the game it doesn't boot my save? Do my saves need to be converted? I thought since Wood is based of RPG which is AK firmware it'd be compatible. Do I need to use the shunyweb converter here?

http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

I ask because it lumps the R4 and AK2 under one save format, so its like they should just work after being renamed...?

Thanks for any help!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Double check the save filenames are identical to their ROM counterparts.

Instead of manually renaming them, I have a batch file which will back them up and then rename them and in all sub-directories. Extract to the root directory of your MicroSD card and double click on renamesav. You can download it here

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really strange the save files are EXACTLY the same, but are NOT being picked up by the AK2i...

Here is a screenshot for example, I ran Sonic Rush 2, which had a save file ready, started the game, it created a new sav, not loading the current one. When I look on the microsd, there are two EXACTLY the same named files on the microsd (which I didn't know was possible), and when I copy them over onto my PC HDD the PC tells me they need to be renamed because they are exactly the same name!

So the save files are exactly the same name and the .sav extension, the AK2i is just ignoring the save files...

Pictures:

(microsd after starting a game with a save already named right)

sav1.jpg

(message that pops up after I try to copy over the two sav files)

sav2.jpg

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Those screenshots tell you nothing, you will need to go into explorer and change "hide extensions for known file types" to disabled, then repost fresh images.

have you tried the batch file I posted in the post above?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! I figured it out by showing file extensions. The original .savs made with the R4 are capitalized, and therefore .SAV, the AK2i ones are lowercase .sav, I didn't think the capitalization of the extension made a difference, but I guess so but I got all my saves loading again including Soul Silver, so thanks for the help guys! (tk_saturn especially)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's why I posted the batch file above. It will go through all the .SAV files in all directories and rename them to .sav

While you can do it manually, because you have each ROM in it's own directory it will take you a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later