Hardware Do I have an ips-panel screen?

Ampersound

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've recently purchased a New 3DS and i am really loving the console so far.
The screen on it looks really nice so i'd really like to know what kind of panel i got, especially since normal sized N3DS with IPS panels are very rare.
All pics where taken with maximum brightness and different lighting conditions.
Thanks for your time :)

Here are the pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/w9CYmkR

Ampersound

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I kinda forgot about 3DSident, thanks for the replies.
The homebrew says both screens are TN panels, i am still a bit surprised about the viewing angles though.
Now i am curious about what other screens look like, since everybody keeps mentioning the screen lottery.

Do you guys wanna post pictures of your console screens too? Preferably the smaller new 3ds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Black N3DS are all TN screens.
how do you know?

I've only heard of Pokemon anniversary edition 3ds to have ips panels so far. But that doesn't exclude other possibilities.

Last edited by Ampersound,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda forgot about 3DSident, thanks for the replies.
The homebrew says both screens are TN panels, i am still a bit surprised about the viewing angles though.
Now i am curious about what other screens look like, since everybody keeps mentioning the screen lottery.

Do you guys wanna post pictures of your console screens too? Preferably the smaller new 3ds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how do you know?

I've only heard of Pokemon anniversary edition 3ds to have ips panels so far. But that doesn't exclude other possibilities.

As far as I know in the United States, the black one that came out for the holiday season back then for 99 dollars was all TN, due to lower amount of sale price. Might be different for other region like Europe or Japan.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know in the United States, the black one that came out for the holiday season back then for 99 dollars was all TN, due to lower amount of sale price. Might be different for other region like Europe or Japan.
Is that the only time the black ones released here?

Not posting a picture, but the best TN screen is better than the worst IPS

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that the only time the black ones released here?

Not posting a picture, but the best TN screen is better than the worst IPS

Yes there was like one time release for the black N3DS here in the United States priced at 99.99, it was a holiday special deal.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They don't bother you? IPS is the better screen.
At what viewing angles do you use it? I have a full-TN model and the color shift is something I don't find objectionable until much after the face tracking is out of range (which could be considered the intended viewing angle)... therefore I personally don't consider IPS models any better

Reactions: Madridi

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At what viewing angles do you use it? I have a full-TN model and the color shift is something I don't find objectionable until much after the face tracking is out of range (which could be considered the intended viewing angle)... therefore I personally don't consider IPS models any better
Viewing angles aren't the only benefit, it's also better quality color.

I've heard about that as well.
Do you know if somebody has tested it out how big of a difference it makes?
2-10% depending on screen.

Reactions: wormdood

jaap123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Why would nintendo care about excluding the IPS models from that 100 buck price solution? They will just make those handhelds and ship them no matter what from the same production line, it probably costs them more to specifically exclude IPS versions. If it's IPS or LCD shouldn't really matter for them like at all. It's not like you can specifically order any of them for more money or the LCD versions sell for lesser in other country's. There is no indicater to know you get so there is no reason to even remotely exclude specifically those screens.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would nintendo care about excluding the IPS models from that 100 buck price solution? They will just make those handhelds and ship them no matter what from the same production line, it probably costs them more to specifically exclude IPS versions. If it's IPS or LCD shouldn't really matter for them like at all. It's not like you can specifically order any of them for more money or the LCD versions sell for lesser in other country's. There is no indicater to know you get so there is no reason to even remotely exclude specifically those screens.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

TN Screen cost less, so it cost less for Nintendo to buy them for manufacturers that are part of the reason the $99.99 + Tax Special Black N3DS that came out for holiday in the US. Since Nintendo sold it for a lower price than the typical price of 149.99 plus tax.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.