ROM Hack DLC, how does it work?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would like to know how the DLC system works. Does different DLC come in different CIAs? Can it patch the executable? Can it replace files?
All DLC for one game shares the same ID. So, different DLC for the same game has to be packed into one CIA, since you can only have one DLC CIA installed at a time. It can't to my knowledge patch the executable -- the game has to already be aware of the DLC and check for it. What happens after that is up to the game I suppose. Whether it imports game data directly from the DLC (so it works more like an update), or it simply checks for a flag to enable DLC that already exists either in the ROM or in an update. Whether it can replace files or not is probably down to how the game handles it.

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
All DLC for one game shares the same ID. So, different DLC for the same game has to be packed into one CIA, since you can only have one DLC CIA installed at a time. It can't to my knowledge patch the executable -- the game has to already be aware of the DLC and check for it. What happens after that is up to the game I suppose. Whether it imports game data directly from the DLC (so it works more like an update), or it simply checks for a flag to enable DLC that already exists either in the ROM or in an update. Whether it can replace files or not is probably down to how the game handles it.
So, to add a theme I would need to dump my theme cia then add to it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended