Disney finalizes their $71.3 billion acquisition of Fox

NrZFDBe.png

In December, there were talks of the Walt Disney Corporation looking into buying 21st Century Fox. It was later revealed that Disney offered up $52.4 billion for Fox's repertoire. Afterwards, Comcast tried to throw their hat into the ring by bidding $65 billion, but were outbid by Disney's second offer of $71.3 billion. It took seven months for things to level out and get through without issue, and as of now, Disney has announced that they have purchased 21st Century Fox. Both Fox's Rupert Murdoch and Disney's Robert Iger were positive about the buyout, stating that they're excited the future.

Fox itself will keep Fox News, Business, and Sports, alongside any of their local TV stations. It will take until the first half of 2019 for the deal to be completed, in terms of transactions and stocks. Disney now owns majority stock in Hulu, as well.

“We’re incredibly pleased that shareholders of both companies have granted approval for us to move forward, and are confident in our ability to create significant long-term value through this acquisition of Fox’s premier assets,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “We remain grateful to Rupert Murdoch and to the rest of the 21st Century Fox board for entrusting us with the future of these extraordinary businesses, and look forward to welcoming 21st Century Fox’s stellar talent to Disney and ultimately integrating our businesses to provide consumers around the world with more appealing content and entertainment options.”

:arrow: Source

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully Disney will abandon their streaming app and just make use of their majority share of Hulu.
Wonder if they'll start removing Netflix's most popular TV shows and movies now that they own most of them now. It's going to be an interesting next few years for streaming services.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
2005:

"Hey, Windows XP has Windows Media Player installed by default! LET'S RAID MICROSOFT AND FINE THEM MILLIONS ACCUSING THEM OF MONOPOLY!"

2018:

"I see nothing wrong with Disney purchasing everything"

RPG_Lover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reminded of the Epic Rap Battle of History, Stan Lee vs Jim Henson, in which Walt Disney comes in and in part of his verse states:

"You belong to Disney and so you stay busy, cranking out magic and assembly-line whimsy."

Expect all series beloved by fans to be exploited much more than ever..

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2005:

"Hey, Windows XP has Windows Media Player installed by default! LET'S RAID MICROSOFT AND FINE THEM MILLIONS ACCUSING THEM OF MONOPOLY!"

2018:

The EU has stayed pretty strict about that, actually, as far as I can tell. There was an antitrust filing against Google recently for having its own suite of apps and app store installed by default, even on non-Google devices running Android

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The EU has stayed pretty strict about that, actually, as far as I can tell. There was an antitrust filing against Google recently for having its own suite of apps and app store installed by default, even on non-Google devices running Android
Yep, it's usually Brussel that is REALLY on the back of every microsoft moves when they want to buy/do something.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest, I started hating Disney once I realized they won't publish 2d animation movies again. I could be careless of the franchise they screwed up already

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They were ordered to pay a fine of $4.3 billion dollars but they protested it so it's very likely that they won't pay it. Seriously, it's ridiculous how badly they treated Microsoft just because their shitty media player was built into the software when Google is able to pull this shit and dodge fines.

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp, considering Disney is a liberal propaganda mill now, I guess I won't be making James Cameron's Avatar and Battle Angel Alita films my movie theater exceptions any more. Disney owns them now and those rats aren't getting any of my money ever again.

Any film I might watch in a movie theater from now on are likely just those rare anime movies that come stateside, like the new Dragon Ball Super Broly movie... I may watch that depending on which studios get the profit.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were ordered to pay a fine of $4.3 billion dollars but they protested it so it's very likely that they won't pay it. Seriously, it's ridiculous how badly they treated Microsoft just because their shitty media player was built into the software when Google is able to pull this shit and dodge fines.
You mean the Microsoft that throttled competing web browsers (netscape navigator) and spread FUD campaigns against OpenGL to make sure their proprietary Direct3D won out awarding them developer lock-in which in turn made porting games to other platforms cost-prohibitive? Let me play a tiny violin for the poor mistreated Microsoft.

Last edited by grossaffe,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, how many years will corporate copyright be now?

2005:

2018:
Perhaps the funniest aftermath of the Microsoft cases is that in ~2005 they were busted for bundling a web browser/email client and a media player; while since 2015, they bundle two web browsers, an email client, a calendar software, one media player (which hasn't changed much since then) and two halves, and a Microsoft-censored preferred (or mandatory, in certain versions) source of software...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, how many years will corporate copyright be now?

Perhaps the funniest aftermath of the Microsoft cases is that in ~2005 they were busted for bundling a web browser/email client and a media player; while since 2015, they bundle two web browsers, an email client, a calendar software, one media player (which hasn't changed much since then) and two halves, and a Microsoft-censored preferred (or mandatory, in certain versions) source of software...
And then there's Apple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-