Hacking Diskwriter 2.0 released , break limit 31 games in one microsd card?

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After I got the prompt to backup and restore my SD card cause it was using an old format, I backed up the card. But after restoring, none of my games are loading.. Is this happening to anyone else?
Have you read and followed what's already been posted on the matter?

About the process:
When you first load up DiskWriter 2.0, it recognizes that your MSD is the old format and offers to convert it. Don't do it if you intend to play shortly after, as the process can take multiple hours depending on how many games you have on your MSD. Also, don't be as stupid as me, switch your game (red/blue button) before you remove the MSD. Otherwise you'll lose your game progress.

After it finished, and you inserted the MSD back into your 3DS, there's the great "OMG, DISKWRITER BROKE MY SKY3DS!!!11111" moment. Expect various threads of that kind to pop up soon. What you need to do to 'fix' your SKY3DS is the following (keep the MSD in the SKY3DS and the 3DS on throughout):
  1. Insert the SKY3DS and keep the button pressed during the process (yeah, that's uncomfortable, find your own technique)
  2. Regularly insert the SKY3DS. It will spring back to life and the LED will blink. Still no game visible on the 3DS though.
  3. Insert it a third time -> everything back to normal.

illumina0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I thought I'm the longest time active member here :).

Alright, I tried it. Sent some of my games to the reserve, and it works as I intended. Lost some game progress in the process, but that's just my own stupidity.

About the process:
When you first load up DiskWriter 2.0, it recognizes that your MSD is the old format and offers to convert it. Don't do it if you intend to play shortly after, as the process can take multiple hours depending on how many games you have on your MSD. Also, don't be as stupid as me, switch your game (red/blue button) before you remove the MSD. Otherwise you'll lose your game progress.

After it finished, and you inserted the MSD back into your 3DS, there's the great "OMG, DISKWRITER BROKE MY SKY3DS!!!11111" moment. Expect various threads of that kind to pop up soon. What you need to do to 'fix' your SKY3DS is the following (keep the MSD in the SKY3DS and the 3DS on throughout):
  1. Insert the SKY3DS and keep the button pressed during the process (yeah, that's uncomfortable, find your own technique)
  2. Regularly insert the SKY3DS. It will spring back to life and the LED will blink. Still no game visible on the 3DS though.
  3. Insert it a third time -> everything back to normal.
You will get a popup window with the above instruction in Engrish, too, after each game put into reserve.

BTW, pressing STRG you can even select multiple games at once and put them in / out of reserve.

Not entirely sure what you meant by "switch your game before you remove the MSD".. Could you help clarify? Thanks!

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely sure what you meant by "switch your game before you remove the MSD".. Could you help clarify? Thanks!

Switching away from the game is what actually saves properly. Until then, it's in the temp area on the Sky itself, which if you don't switch out properly will be lost.

smasbros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
* Sky3DS DiskWriter V2.02b1 [04/17/2015]

http://sky3ds.com/download.html

Note: You have to convert your old saved data on microSD card(DW1.06)
if any to the new DW2.02 format by the pop up window "Save backup file".
After the convert process completed, there will be message window forwards to you,
and then please follow as the instructions did to avoid damage or lost upon game save data.

congzing

Trophies
XP
Country
Today, sky released DW2.0b8 for public.
Change logs:
1. Tiny bugs fixed.
2. Added microSD card space management feature.
Note:You need to convert your old saved data on microSD card(DW1.06)
if any to the new DW2.0 format by the pop up window "Save backup file".

http://sky3ds.com/download.html

Through 2.0 user guide , it wrote like that
DW2.0 added two sections in main menu, the available games listed in the top section(section#1),and the bottom section(section#2) is for saving(all savers of the games listed in this section will be saved here).

Break over 31 games in one microsd card.

Section#1 can list 31 games , and section#2 64 games, 95 in total.
Simply, you can list the games you want to play in section#1, otherwise list them to section#2, never worry for losing game savers.

Move game(s) to section#2 by selecting the game(s) to right-click with option "Down to Reserve" in section#1;
Move game(s) to section#1 by selecting the game(s) to right-click with option "Up to Positive" in section#2.
Sorry I don't get it?
Section#1 for game I want to play
Section#2 for ...??? If those game don't/can't play why I must list it to here? And the saves? I don't play --> I don't have saves --> What are saves for saving???

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.00b8 = bad mSD formatting

If you have read all of this and just saw this post, don't use 2.00b8.

Go get 2.02b1. They pulled 2.0 real fast and brought out 2.02. For a good reason.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to create a profile because I really need some help, even though this is my 1st post I have searched online and haven't been able to find a single person with the same error is me so I am really hoping someone here will be able to help.

I today upgraded to diskwriter v2.02 and it asked me to convert so I looked online and made sure I followed all the instructions so nothing went wrong. It took ages easily 30-40 minutes and backed up every game (I know I was watching each game slowly backing up). Once it had all finished and the card was formatted etc. I clicked to restore games. Now the 1st 3 games you can see them restoring fine and then it goes on to the 4th and says reading game data just as it had done for the 1st 3 but then never copied it across same goes for every game after that.

When all had finished I had the 3 games on the card and I thought it may just be playing up a little and I put the card in my 3ds and low and behold there's only 3 games on there I have my saves and everything and those 3 work great. So my question is what on earth has happened to the other games. When it tries to restore it knows the other games are there because it reads them but it doesn't actually transfer them to the card.

Please please please help I have A LOT of hours put into these games.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to create a profile because I really need some help, even though this is my 1st post I have searched online and haven't been able to find a single person with the same error is me so I am really hoping someone here will be able to help.

I today upgraded to diskwriter v2.02 and it asked me to convert so I looked online and made sure I followed all the instructions so nothing went wrong. It took ages easily 30-40 minutes and backed up every game (I know I was watching each game slowly backing up). Once it had all finished and the card was formatted etc. I clicked to restore games. Now the 1st 3 games you can see them restoring fine and then it goes on to the 4th and says reading game data just as it had done for the 1st 3 but then never copied it across same goes for every game after that.

When all had finished I had the 3 games on the card and I thought it may just be playing up a little and I put the card in my 3ds and low and behold there's only 3 games on there I have my saves and everything and those 3 work great. So my question is what on earth has happened to the other games. When it tries to restore it knows the other games are there because it reads them but it doesn't actually transfer them to the card.

Please please please help I have A LOT of hours put into these games.

Did you make backups using Diskwriter 1.06 before you went 2.0? If so, you need to start there. Basically 2.0 was writing corrupted formatting to mSDs and you need to reformat back to 1.06. THEN skip 2.0 and go directly to 2.02b1.

Follow instructions on this post:
DO NOT USE DISKWRITER 2.00B8!!!!

I too tried using backup in 2.0 and it simply did not work. Made the backup, but would not restore any games. It simply does not work and you're lucky it even managed to save 3-4 games.

If you made the backups in 1.06, just follow the format instructions (link above) and start fresh in 2.02. Backups of games and savedata work from 1.06 to 2.02. Everything you did in 2.0 is lost.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually never used V2.00 I jumped straight to v2.02. I can't seem to find any of my 1.06 backups either which is really annoying. Are you saying all is lost apart from those 3 games even though it seems to be reading them?

Just to make it clear I have already seen that link provided that's why I actually did skip to 2.02.. I'm guessing the 20 hours gone into Pokemon Y is lost, that's a pity I was enjoying it, actually got me back into a pokemon game after 15 years or so.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh yes... the infamous Pokemon Savedata Corrupt problem.

Let me guess, you didn't backup the game and savedata before updating to 2.02? Or did you try playing it and save since you backed it up? Then the savedata won't match.

The forced backup doesn't really work. It is always good to backup your savedata for each individual game before re-writing.

Basically the "updating" that occurs from 1.06 to 2.02 is the formatting of the mSD card so it can make the RESERVE list. The savedata and games should be compatible whether made in 1.06 or 2.02. You just need to update the formatting to 2.02 and then re-write and restore everything from 1.06 while in 2.02.

This means:

BACKUP EVERYTHING IN 1.06!!!!

Do an update to 2.02.

Restore using old 1.06 backups if needed (most likely will).

Again, this means that the transfer from 1.06 to 2.02 requires a clean wipe/format of the mSD. Follow the instructions linked above.

My experience with Pokemon ORASXY is that anytime you delete it from the mSD while in Diskwriter and then re-write it will result in a "corrupt savedata". The reason for this is that it breaks the savedata saved to the 3DS SD card. Only way to fix those savedata is to edit them with GW.

Best bet is to always make sure to backup the GAME and the SAVEDATA and restore those exact backups. If you change the headers in template, it will read like a new cart and savedata will be lost. If the savedata of ROM doesn't match, corrupt savedata. Last resort is to try a backup of savedata if the ROM file doesn't work. Probably will result in "corrupt savedata" anyhow, but worth a shot.

Don't feel bad. I lost all my savedata when I tried 2.0 + 2.02. Doesn't really phase me since I'm still on 9.5.0-22U and still have pokeinjection. But I understand your pain.

The only other thing I can think of is pulling the 3DS' SD card out and trying to find the savedata file and editing it to match the ROM. Not sure how to do this. I think there's a post about it somewhere... but it probably requires GW or hex editing.

I noticed this when we first tried pulling headers using Powersaves. There's a coupe blocks of extra data which I think is the savedata info. So you might be able to pull them but I have no idea how.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh yes... the infamous Pokemon Savedata Corrupt problem.

Let me guess, you didn't backup the game and savedata before updating to 2.02? Or did you try playing it and save since you backed it up? Then the savedata won't match.

The forced backup doesn't really work. It is always good to backup your savedata for each individual game before re-writing.

Basically the "updating" that occurs from 1.06 to 2.02 is the formatting of the mSD card so it can make the RESERVE list. The savedata and games should be compatible whether made in 1.06 or 2.02. You just need to update the formatting to 2.02 and then re-write and restore everything from 1.06 while in 2.02.

This means:

BACKUP EVERYTHING IN 1.06!!!!

Do an update to 2.02.

Restore using old 1.06 backups if needed (most likely will).

Again, this means that the transfer from 1.06 to 2.02 requires a clean wipe/format of the mSD. Follow the instructions linked above.

My experience with Pokemon ORASXY is that anytime you delete it from the mSD while in Diskwriter and then re-write it will result in a "corrupt savedata". The reason for this is that it breaks the savedata saved to the 3DS SD card. Only way to fix those savedata is to edit them with GW.

Best bet is to always make sure to backup the GAME and the SAVEDATA and restore those exact backups. If you change the headers in template, it will read like a new cart and savedata will be lost. If the savedata of ROM doesn't match, corrupt savedata. Last resort is to try a backup of savedata if the ROM file doesn't work. Probably will result in "corrupt savedata" anyhow, but worth a shot.

Don't feel bad. I lost all my savedata when I tried 2.0 + 2.02. Doesn't really phase me since I'm still on 9.5.0-22U and still have pokeinjection. But I understand your pain.

The only other thing I can think of is pulling the 3DS' SD card out and trying to find the savedata file and editing it to match the ROM. Not sure how to do this. I think there's a post about it somewhere... but it probably requires GW or hex editing.

I noticed this when we first tried pulling headers using Powersaves. There's a coupe blocks of extra data which I think is the savedata info. So you might be able to pull them but I have no idea how.

Well it's not just pokemon there's around 6 other but I have actually lost the games themselves as well not just the save nothings showing up other than the 3 games and one of thems Kirby (while not a bad game I would have prefered it save a better game). I did back up while on 1.06 but I cant find that backup I may have even been stupid and overwritten it with the 2.02 backup file. Looks like those games and they're respective saves are gone. It's so annoying to see diskwriter actually read there's other games there and then ignore them.

Quick question, I think I know the answer but the .bkg file is 11.9gb and has all my games and saves inside is there a way to open that file and extract each game out manually or try and salvage the save, or if diskwriter doesn't read it correctly that's it out of luck?

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's not just pokemon there's around 6 other but I have actually lost the games themselves as well not just the save nothings showing up other than the 3 games and one of thems Kirby (while not a bad game I would have prefered it save a better game). I did back up while on 1.06 but I cant find that backup I may have even been stupid and overwritten it with the 2.02 backup file. Looks like those games and they're respective saves are gone. It's so annoying to see diskwriter actually read there's other games there and then ignore them.

My lesson learned is that you should never rely upon the forced backups.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Then try doing something...

Sorry for the loss. Happened to me too.

Did you get a crash prompt while backing up? Did it mention something about JIT? When I used 2.0 it did it to me right off the bat and it made a backup but none of my games would show upon restoring.

I think there might be an issue with Diskwriter's compatibility. Not sure why they haven't figured this out yet.

What they should really do is make an individual BACKUP GAME(S) instead of writing a master backup. Just like their BACKUP SAVEDATA.

Basically they're trying to make things easier but in the process, making it harder. We need a better option. Same goes for OPTIMISE. It's nice, but it really doesn't work too well. Better to just trim and backup individually.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or it could be the FAT12 format itself.

I know FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, and when you try to move or copy any file larger than 4GB in size it just fails.

This might be the issue since most users try to fill up their mSD with more than 4GB of data, and when Diskwriter tried to back them up, if the ROM is larger than 4GB it can't copy them.

The FAT12 is the type of formatting a floppy disk would use. This is also the type of formatting Diskwriter uses when it formats the mSD. The bad thing about FAT12 is the transfer file size limit. Why they must use FAT12 instead of NTFS or FAT32 is beyond me.

In case you're wondering:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partSizes-c.html
FAT Sizes: FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
Throughout my discussion of file systems, I have referred to the FAT family of file systems. This includes several different FAT-related file systems, as described here. The file allocation table or FAT stores information about the clusters on the disk in a table. There are three different varieties of this file allocation table, which vary based on the maximize size of the table. The system utility that you use to partition the disk will normally choose the correct type of FAT for the volume you are using, but sometimes you will be given a choice of which you want to use.
Since each cluster has one entry in the FAT, and these entries are used to hold the cluster number of the next cluster used by the file, the size of the FAT is the limiting factor on how many clusters any disk volume can contain. The following are the three different FAT versions now in use:
  • FAT12: The oldest type of FAT uses a 12-bit binary number to hold the cluster number. A volume formatted using FAT12 can hold a maximum of 4,086 clusters, which is 2^12 minus a few values (to allow for reserved values to be used in the FAT). FAT12 is therefore most suitable for very small volumes, and is used on floppy disks and hard disk partitions smaller than about 16 MB (the latter being rare today.)
  • FAT16: The FAT used for most older systems, and for small partitions on modern systems, uses a 16-bit binary number to hold cluster numbers. When you see someone refer to a "FAT" volume generically, they are usually referring to FAT16, because it is the de facto standard for hard disks, even with FAT32 now more popular than FAT16. A volume using FAT16 can hold a maximum of 65,526 clusters, which is 2^16 less a few values (again for reserved values in the FAT). FAT16 is used for hard disk volumes ranging in size from 16 MB to 2,048 MB. VFAT is a variant of FAT16.
  • FAT32: The newest FAT type, FAT32 is supported by newer versions of Windows, including Windows 95's OEM SR2 release, as well as Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows 2000. FAT32 uses a 28-bit binary cluster number--not 32, because 4 of the 32 bits are "reserved". 28 bits is still enough to permit ridiculously huge volumes--FAT32 can theoretically handle volumes with over 268 million clusters, and will support (theoretically) drives up to 2 TB in size. However to do this the size of the FAT grows very large; see here for details on FAT32's limitations.

When I had to fix my mSD formatting I ran across the EaseUS and Diskwriter fighting over what format the mSD was. The only way to properly break it is to use REFOMAT in Diskwriter to get to revert back to FAT32 or NTFS. Otherwise, I came across EaseUS reading the formatting as (Floppy Disk) instead of (MBR). Very important it reads MBR.

When you use FORMAT in Diskwriter it formats the mSD with two partitions under a FAT12 filesystem. One is used for savedata and the other to store game ROMs. They also slipped some programming into the smaller partition to handle the RESERVE listing.

So all this time I was telling people to have at least 1GB of free space was wrong. It should already make a partition for that. But again, just to be safe, try to leave extra space.

Otherwise, the folks at Sky3DS need to find a better way to format the mSD. unless it has something to do with the emulation of a cart for 3DS. I dunno... depends on their "secret code" bult into chip.

dewbus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you read and followed what's already been posted on the matter?

Umm I dont mean to bother but is there a way to Completely Format the card to its factory setting (nothing on the card). I bought mine and it had quite a full storage. Now when I try to run the DW it asks me to backup all the data. 32GB mSD= 25GB of stuff.

The only problem is once it finishes that process ( @ 1hr ~13min) it pretends the card is still fill and it gives me the same solution that is to backup the data.

I tried what you posted about pressing the blue button ( good thing to note is the games still show up on the N3DS) but I Dont Want Those Games/saves. After trying this i tried to go through with DW and no avail.

If I close the Backup Prompt window, DW just closes on me. Wat do?

dewbus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm I dont mean to bother but is there a way to Completely Format the card to its factory setting (nothing on the card). I bought mine and it had quite a full storage. Now when I try to run the DW it asks me to backup all the data. 32GB mSD= 25GB of stuff.

The only problem is once it finishes that process ( @ 1hr ~13min) it pretends the card is still fill and it gives me the same solution that is to backup the data.

I tried what you posted about pressing the blue button ( good thing to note is the games still show up on the N3DS) but I Dont Want Those Games/saves. After trying this i tried to go through with DW and no avail.

If I close the Backup Prompt window, DW just closes on me. Wat do?

I found a solution. Use program SD Formatter (its free). NOTE: THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE CARD

It worked for me because I didnt care about what was on the card. Now I can Format it with DiskWrite and actually use the app

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a solution. Use program SD Formatter (its free). NOTE: THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE CARD

It worked for me because I didnt care about what was on the card. Now I can Format it with DiskWrite and actually use the app
Diskwriter has a reformat option, but that works fine too. It's what I do (albeit with a different program, but that's irrelevant)

dewbus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diskwriter has a reformat option, but that works fine too. It's what I do (albeit with a different program, but that's irrelevant)

This new disk writer will fail to a "Save Backup" loop and wont even allow you the option to reformat. I think thats what the other peepz were talking about as well. With SD Formatter you can bypass the infinite loop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: also the game drops oct 25, so does call of duty black ops 6, i guess barbenheimer is happening...