Homebrew [Discussion] Next Smea release looks like it's gonna be a big one!

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God damn, my mind is going through all the 3DS games i played since launch day. SO MANY would potentially benefit from that N3DS mode, it's crazy that Nintendo didn't allow this from the start.

From Pokemon to Ridge Racer 3D. This is going to be HUGE.

i'm really hoping stuff like Snake Eater 3D will actually be playable now

Reactions: teampleb

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Really? I'm not at all dissatisfied with PJ64 1.7 on my PC. There are very very few games that have enough problems to ruin the experience for me.

N64 emulation is miles behind PSOne, Wii or even PS2 emulation. Stagnant for a VER long time, is an unoptimized mess that shits the bed whenever you get it out of the comfort zone that are the games developed with the standard microcode. Even with GlideN64, it can put a powerful CPU on its knees easily.

N64 emulation it's still on a early stage in my opinion. Before porting it to any other machines the people involved should get their shit together and stop the curse they started.

Last edited by Osakasan,

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 emulation is miles behind PSOne, Wii or even PS2 emulation. Stagnant for a VER long time, is an unoptimized mess that shits the bed whenever you get it out of the comfort zone that are the games developed with the standard microcode. Even with GlideN64, it can put a powerful CPU on its knees easily.

N64 emulation it's still on a early stage in my opinion. Before porting it to any other machines the people involved should get their shit together and stop the curse they started.

i'm with you, just because games are "playable" on Project 64 doesn't mean it's running it in a way that's actually accurate to how a real n64 would run a game, like a lot of emulators of it's era it's doing the barest minimum to run a game with so many speed hacks and shortcuts involved in order to run just "smooth enough" that accuracy didn't matter

though the n64's architecture was so obtuse that no one really bothered to have it properly emulated so can you really blame them? lol

Last edited by UltraHurricane,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
though the n64's architecture was so obtuse that no one really bothered to have it properly emulated, can you really blame them?

Well, obviously not, but that's why i said even PS2 emulation, PS2 and PS3 were also very obtuse machines, but even so my discrete rig can still run PS2 games with relative ease. while the poor thing sweats bullets with non standard microcode games.

N64 emulation suffers from 4 curses:

1.- Its development has been paralyzed for years

2.- The developers doesn't want to let go the plugin structure, wich can be overcomplicated (this game runs on this plugin, but those need another one)

3.- The retake of it development was driven by greed and its community actually justifies it. Do yourself a favor: If you ever jump to 2.2 never and i repeat: NEVER use the official installer.

4.- It's competitive in a bad way, wich drove away developers of lesser N64 emulators.

PCSX2 managed to get away from a similar situation, but it's too late now for Pj64 and Mupen64 developers.

And now let's keep on topic. Sorry for almost derailing the thread.

Last edited by Osakasan,

uberpubert69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk why everyone is so focused on the n3ds' performance. I'm pretty sure most people have o3ds(XLs)' or 2ds'. Indeed most Devs do. Sure the N3DS is a bit more powerful, but power isn't everything. If developers can fully optimize their emulators o3ds users shouldn't have any problem playing nearly any emulator the N3DS can. Right now the N3DS just has extra power for free speed. My DSL outperforms my 3DS in terms of emulation, not because it's more powerful, but because it's got mature optimized emulators.

I fully expect the o3ds to surpass the PSP in terms of emulation power. Sure the architecture is different, but I've seen what devs can do when they put their minds to it. By the time 3DS homebrew reaches maturity the o3ds should be able to keep up with the n3ds. Undoubtedly there will still be better performance with the n3ds regardless. Just spread the love to all 3ds users.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk why everyone is so focused on the n3ds' performance. I'm pretty sure most people have o3ds(XLs)' or 2ds'. Indeed most Devs do. Sure the N3DS is a bit more powerful, but power isn't everything. If developers can fully optimize their emulators o3ds users shouldn't have any problem playing nearly any emulator the N3DS can. Right now the N3DS just has extra power for free speed. My DSL outperforms my 3DS in terms of emulation, not because it's more powerful, but because it's got mature optimized emulators.

I fully expect the o3ds to surpass the PSP in terms of emulation power. Sure the architecture is different, but I've seen what devs can do when they put their minds to it. By the time 3DS homebrew reaches maturity the o3ds should be able to keep up with the n3ds. Undoubtedly there will still be better performance with the n3ds regardless. Just spread the love to all 3ds users.
BS. I have a fully functional GBA emulator (gpSP) on my n3DS that runs at 60fps in Yoshi's Island. I also have an SNES emulator that emulates SuperFX. The n3DS is already better then the NDS for emulation.

Last edited by teampleb,

uberpubert69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BS. I have a fully functional GBA emulator (gpSP) on my n3DS that runs at 60fps in Yoshi's Island. I also have an SNES emulator that emulates SuperFX. The n3DS is already better then the NDS for emulation.
You're missing what I'm getting at. That's only because the N3DS has slightly better hardware than the o3ds. Purely because of its power only. Not because the emulators are better. And I said that the N3DS is better. Your post makes no sense. All I was saying is that when the emulators are developed more (and someone allows kernel access) the O3DS won't suck as hard.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're missing what I'm getting at. That's only because the N3DS has slightly better hardware than the o3ds. Purely because of its power only. Not because the emulators are better. And I said that the N3DS is better. Your post makes no sense. All I was saying is that when the emulators are developed more (and someone allows kernel access) the O3DS won't suck as hard.
I meant the 3DS scene is miles ahead of what the DS scene was back then around the same time. Better hardware or not.

Lord Socky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy a Sky3DS almost exclusively for Cubic Ninja (and to future-proof for other games with possible exploits) and Smea goes and releases Ironhax before it arrives.

I crack and order a 9.0 n3DS off Ebay almost exclusively for the NTR clockspeed plugin, and Smea goes and makes that just a normal feature before it arrives.

I'm convinced Smea is intent on making me waste my money at this point. Good news guys, I bought a Gateway too so emuNAND should be announced for HBL 3.0 pretty soon!

Real talk: Sleep mode, launching games from HBL and exit-to-HBL are huge for me. I dream of a day we can replace the home menu entirely with homebrew, and it seems like we're mere inches from that goal now! If we can launch from and exit to homebrew, I can see very little reason, if any at all, to keep the home menu around. Auto-boot themehax straight to HBL and we're good to go!

I'm curious though, does anybody know if streetpass would function under Homebrew Channel? I'm not exactly up to snuff on the deep system functions of the 3DS. Streetpass could be tied directly to the home menu, which if HBL unloads the home menu when opened, could block street pass from functioning. It could also be managed entirely separately from some area we don't even have access to. HBL could also be leaving home menu entirely alone for all I know. Or perhaps the 3DS sleep mode has a special function just for streetpass, and Smea has figured out how to call the native sleep mode. Or perhaps he wrote his own sleep mode from scratch! Too many questions, and twitter is a horrible place for char 141 and on.

Edit: I should have googled. First response says streetpass (and all OS functions, effectively) continue working during homebrew. Neat! Goodbye, Home Menu!

Last edited by Lord Socky,
Reactions: fmkid

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I meant the 3DS scene is miles ahead of what the DS scene was back then around the same time. Better hardware or not.

If i'm reading right, he has a point. Actually, that was my original point after seeing how things were here. O3DS, being the original and the model that sold the most, it's not getting enough attention and we O3DS users that for some reason didn't jump in are afraid that N3DS could be good enough.

Well, i already am in peace with that idea and i'm working on it by giving feedback, at least of the emulators that are almost there in terms of performance, but i understand his point very, very well.

I don't like to repeat myself and sure as hell i dont want to have a battle over here again, but O3DS has not enough exposure. We need more people testing and giving feeback about it.

Last edited by Osakasan,

uberpubert69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i'm reading right, he has a point. Actually, that was my original point after seeing how things were here. O3DS, being the original and the model that sold the most, it's not getting enough attention and we O3DS users that for some reason didn't jump in are afraid that N3DS could be good enough.

Well, i already am in peace with that idea and i'm working on it by giving feedback, at least of the emulators that are almost there in terms of performance, but i understand his point very, very well.

I don't like to repeat myself and sure as hell i dont want to have a battle over here again, but O3DS has not enough exposure. We need more people testing and giving feeback about it.
My point exactly. For the moment the n3ds is getting all the attention because of the speed it produces in emulators. But in the future when kernel access is available for all, I really don't think people are going to care about the N3ds as much because the o3ds has way more users. Already those with kernel access on their o3ds can keep up with the n3ds in user mode. Sure once N3ds gets kernel access it will also be better. But there are more o3ds consoles out there. And don't forget about future optimizations.

For me kernel access is already a reality and very possible. We just need someone other than Smea without a moral compass to develop it. And thanks to all the work smea (and others) have done already, I don't see it taking very long. The demand is there. So for now we should help document and test as much as we can; hopefully with more of an emphasis on the o3ds' capabilities and performance.

In a couple years this will all be irrelevant. Much like how tethering is irrelevant nowadays with iOS jailbreaking. Or the PS3's hyperprocessor (or whatever it was called) that was deemed unaccessible.

Last edited by uberpubert69,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point exactly. For the moment the n3ds is getting all the attention because of the speed it produces in emulators. But in the future when kernel access is available for all, I really don't think people are going to care about the N3ds as much because the o3ds has way more users. Already those with kernel access on their o3ds can keep up with the n3ds in user mode. Sure once N3ds gets kernel access it will also be better. But there are more o3ds consoles out there. And don't forget about future optimizations.

For me kernel access is already a reality and very possible. We just need someone other than Smea without a moral compass to develop it. And thanks to all the work smea (and others) have done already, I don't see it taking very long. The demand is there. So for now we should help document and test as much as we can; hopefully with more of an emphasis on the o3ds' capabilities and performance.

In a couple years this will all be irrelevant. Much like how tethering is irrelevant nowadays with iOS jailbreaking. Or the PS3's hyperprocessor (or whatever it was called) that was deemed unaccessible.

Oh God I remember tethered jailbreaks... Whenever my battery died, I couldn't use my iPod until I got home for the day. iOS4 I believe?

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, obviously not, but that's why i said even PS2 emulation, PS2 and PS3 were also very obtuse machines, but even so my discrete rig can still run PS2 games with relative ease. while the poor thing sweats bullets with non standard microcode games.

N64 emulation suffers from 4 curses:

1.- Its development has been paralyzed for years

2.- The developers doesn't want to let go the plugin structure, wich can be overcomplicated (this game runs on this plugin, but those need another one)

3.- The retake of it development was driven by greed and its community actually justifies it. Do yourself a favor: If you ever jump to 2.2 never and i repeat: NEVER use the official installer.

4.- It's competitive in a bad way, wich drove away developers of lesser N64 emulators.

PCSX2 managed to get away from a similar situation, but it's too late now for Pj64 and Mupen64 developers.

And now let's keep on topic. Sorry for almost derailing the thread.
You forgot to mention it was built entirely from stolen documents from the oman archive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil: