Hacking Disc Read Errors...

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have a modchip and I get DRE's sometimes. I find the wii to be finicky about clean discs.
biggrin.gif

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if the type of wire you used in the installation has any effect on the likeliness of DREs...

Nope, the tiny ohmage difference won't make any difference to the current. Getting loads of DRE's on my Wiinja v1 to the point it's unusable - continunually getting up to eject/insert disks isn't fun, just using originals til things get sorted out. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and using it I'd definitely be waiting a month of two to see what happens
smile.gif

I don't care about functionality like region free Wii games/Wii homebrew, I'd be happy to play GC and Wii region locked backups but my Wii with Wiinja (which is installed perfect, got a mate to do it who's an uber electronics geek) isn't even doing that for me - basically just a useless hunk of plastoc siliconed inside my Wii.

On the bright side, when I do get a v2 I'll just need to desolder the wires from the old chip, solder in the new one and put a dollop of silicon on its back.

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if the type of wire you used in the installation has any effect on the likeliness of DREs...

Nope, the tiny ohmage difference won't make any difference to the current. Getting loads of DRE's on my Wiinja v1 to the point it's unusable - continunually getting up to eject/insert disks isn't fun, just using originals til things get sorted out. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and using it I'd definitely be waiting a month of two to see what happens
smile.gif

I don't care about functionality like region free Wii games/Wii homebrew, I'd be happy to play GC and Wii region locked backups but my Wii with Wiinja (which is installed perfect, got a mate to do it who's an uber electronics geek) isn't even doing that for me - basically just a useless hunk of plastoc siliconed inside my Wii.

On the bright side, when I do get a v2 I'll just need to desolder the wires from the old chip, solder in the new one and put a dollop of silicon on its back.

I've been thinking the best recommendation for everyone is to grab a new (cheap) dvd burner ( Lite-ONs are my personal fav ) and to make sure that their burn buffer never drops below 100%.

Everything I've burned with my new DVD drive at 6x runs perfectly with no DRE...

But anything I try to burn with my old DVD drive throws an error message at the screen.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im just waiting for my V2 to arrive and hopefully fingers crossed i won't have to worry about DRE's ever again LOL.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a modchip and I get DRE's sometimes. I find the wii to be finicky about clean discs.Â
biggrin.gif

Now that's an interesting statement.

I was going to ask if people got DREs with original disks and/or without modchips. If people get DREs with original disks with modchips then something's up. If people get DREs with original disks and no modchip.... There's nothing we can do.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dumb question. How do you know if you are getting DREs? Does a screen/error come up? Or does it just stop responding?

-Matthew

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dumb question. How do you know if you are getting DREs? Does a screen/error come up? Or does it just stop responding?

-Matthew

Could be either. Most likely it'd be an error screen though.

I finally got some DREs with Pikmin 1 :/ Every time it wants to load something I have to take the disc out and put it back in. I burned it multiple times with multiple settings but it hasn't helped (which has helped in the past.)

Is there any likelihood that games prepatched for the old bootup methods (audiofix, etc) could present problems on the Wii?

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-Matthew

Could be either. Most likely it'd be an error screen though.

I finally got some DREs with Pikmin 1 :/ Every time it wants to load something I have to take the disc out and put it back in. I burned it multiple times with multiple settings but it hasn't helped (which has helped in the past.)

Is there any likelihood that games prepatched for the old bootup methods (audiofix, etc) could present problems on the Wii?

I finally gave in. I got 200 4x Verbatim DVD-Rs from meritline.com for 60 bucks.

Pikmin better work now without my constant attention
mad.gif

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave in again :/ I shouldn't have ordered all those DVDs because enough internet sleuthing led me to believe that the DRE issue is a product of some buggy Wiinja code that kicks in whenever the disc motor idles out.

This means, for the most part, there is no help with different media in this case.

I bought a Wiinja V2 and I hate the idea of opening up the wii again, after finally getting all those screws back in and all the pads back where they're supposed to be and whatnot...

But there's nothing inherently wrong with the wiinja v1 except for the inconvenience of taking out the disc and putting it back in during parts where the disc spins back up after idling out.

I'm going to hang onto my old chip, in case I ever get a chance to sucker a friend into letting me put it into their Wii
tongue.gif

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I received my 2 V2 replacements from Wiinja.com today and ive just fitted one into my own machine. I played Wario Ware for over an hour without a single DRE
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Needless to say im a very very happy bunny
grog.gif
bow.gif
. Feels like 2 weeks of stress has just been lifted off my shoulders LOL.

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all my DREs come from gamecube games and it's beyond frustrating
frown.gif
I get a DRE every time anything triggers a cutscene in Pikmin
mad.gif

I ordered another Wiinja, but I"m also going tos end in the one I have to be replaced. Maybe I'll find someone locally to sell the replacement to (it probably won't come back a full week or two after I've installed the new one)

And I hate to do that, because I'm spending more money in the longrun, but I don't want to lose the functionality the Wiinja v1 has afforded me.

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and order a v2 as well
smile.gif
Seems like it will solve my DRE's from what I've read. I'm basing this on the evidence I've not seen rather than the evidence that I have, to wit there doesn't seem to be a slew of postings along the lines of "I've just installed v2 Wiinja and getting loads of DRE's" while there are tons of these about the v1.

That's my reasoning anyway, let's hope I don't need to install v3 in a month
rofl2.gif

Same as poster above, the Wii games I can get more or less to work but GC titles out of about 30 only 3 don't DRE.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol