Disc Cannot Be Read...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Melee54, Nov 2, 2008.

Nov 2, 2008

Disc Cannot Be Read... by Melee54 at 7:41 PM (1,681 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Melee54
    OP

Member Melee54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This question has probably been asked a lot, but I've read the responses and they haven't been particularly helpful.

I've burnt a copy of Mario Kart two times, each different speeds and both using Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs.

First copy was 2x. It ran ONCE, then it gave me the Disc Can Not Be Read error next time I tried to load it. It never worked again. (Burnt with Nero)

Second copy was an 8x. This one runs every now and then, but today it seems to not even want to start. Tried loading it about 6 times, and I got nowhere with each try. (Burnt with IMGBURN)

Sometimes I get to the "How to hold the wii remote" page, then disc read error. Other times it doesn't even reach the wiimote page...Just goes directly into the error message.

So what could be up? I'm using the correct cIOS along with v.3 of the loader. I'm in the US, so I never bothered switching regions or anything, since I've got the US version of the game.

Both bad burns? Hard to believe... I actually sat and watched the 2nd burn to make sure the buffer levels stayed consistent.

I tried to burn a 3rd copy at 16x on my friends laptop, but it failed for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. samagon

Newcomer samagon Advanced Member

United States
    You said you are using the correct cIOS. Just to make sure; are you using the one that came with the v0.3 loader or the cIOS with the read retry fix that WiiGator released the next day?

3. Photokon

Newcomer Photokon Member

United States
    I can verify mario kart works as I just did it yesterday. PM me.

4. Melee54
    OP

United States
    I am using the cIOS that was packaged with the loader when he first released it. I was completely unaware that there was a later released version. Would that file happen to be in his blog, or on another website?

If I install it, I'm assuming I will have to uninstall the loader, then reinstall, correct?

Thank you for your help.

5. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
  6. Photokon

Newcomer Photokon Member

United States
    FIFA 09 works for me. NTSC console, PAL game.

7. kremmy

Newcomer kremmy Member

United States
    Have you tried forcing NTSC? I've had that fix game issues a few times, even though it was already an ntsc game on an ntsc wii and an ntsc tv.

Also, there's always the possibility that you got a bad ISO in the first place. Can you post the file size?

8. Melee54
    OP

United States
    Hi all, just wanted to let you know that I downloaded the updated read retry cIOS and now everything *seems* to be working fine now. I'll post back if I keep on getting the error still.

Thanks for all of your help!

9. hardcopi

Newcomer hardcopi Newbie

United States
    I just want to say that I had nothing but troubles before I stumbled across the "read retry fix" and now with that everything I have tried works brilliantly.

Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum
    w/o retry it would crash after the title screen every time
    w retry it has only done that one out of 20 or so loads

The others I tried after I had already installed the "read retry fix" so I don't know if they were "fixed" or not, but they all work with the .3b version with no problems.

Mario Kart, Hell's Kitchen and Wii Play (all NTSC, unpatched, burned with imgburn on generic media).