OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick set-up story:

Running Win7.
Computer is plugged into an outlet that is connected to a lightswitch (great idea, yea? it's how the house was set up before we moved in. the whole outlet (top and bottom) are set up to a switch on the wall... none of the other outlets in the room are, but it's the only one that is close to where a computer would fit *grumble*).

We just don't hit that switch.
Unless it's an accident.

Anyhoo, the switch was hit yesterday, whilst i was using the 'puter.
It reboots, and won't connect to the net.

I start fiddling around with things, and come to realize that i'm missing the drive for my network adapter (built in cat5 jack).
I tried the Win7 install cd... couldn't "find" the driver there. Tried a quick scan of my system, nothing there. (ps, i can't search online from said computer... because of it being the network adapter driver thats borked
tongue.gif
)

Wtf? Really? A power outage could cause a driver to disappear? Is there a way i can find a replacement driver? Does it have to be specific? Is there anything i need to know directly? Or should i just say eff it, and do a wipe/reinstall of 7? (i JUST got this computer up and running about a week ago, so i'm not deleting anything major... i just don't want to spend time doing it
tongue.gif
)

Any thoughts?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
When I reinstalled XP and it couldn't find my network driver I think I ended up using a Linux Bootdisk to get it from the internet (by searching the motherboard model number).

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
When I reinstalled XP and it couldn't find my network driver I think I ended up using a Linux Bootdisk to get it from the internet (by searching the motherboard model number).

I was working w/ Ubuntu LiveCD for a while, and i can do that. I also have a secondary pc hooked up and running, so i can do that too.

It's just irritating as fuck that i FINALLY get my pc up and running again (had a borked HDD to which i CANNOT install any Windows OS, however linux goes on it fine, and i can access everything on it... WTFx2?!) and now i have a magically disappearing network driver... JUST the network driver.

Methinks i'll check for about 30 minutes, and if i find nothing... BAM- reinstall
wink.gif

Erm, can i find the motherboard model number in some way other than opening up the case? i can do that if need be... i'm just hoping it's either listed somewhere in the OS, or if i can grab zcpu or something. Just check the Zcpu site, and apparently that WILL list it. Well there i go.

Thanks
smile.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you can't find the driver, maybe a system restore will work also. Windows 7 tends to make one quite often, so you shouldn't lose much. Still strange that a power outage would cause that. I'd do a chkdsk also, just to be sure nothing else vanishes.
ohmy.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i'll run a chkdisk as well. That's the odd thing to me too. I have NO idea why my network driver, of all things, would be the only thing to poof... especially since everything else appears go be working fine. But by an illegal shutdown?

Never heard of it before, but then again, i've never had a hard drive that wouldn't let me install any M$ os on it, but still functions as a normal HDD should otherwise.

I have odd luck with technology.

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Here's the Report, note I removed the License Keys from my Windows 7 Pro Installation. It is an HTML file, and will open in your internet browser if it handles HTML files (as it does by default)

View attachment _Rickpalomino_pc_.html

If you're trying to check your motherboard or other computer information and don't want to look at the integrated system properties in Windows, I recommend Belarc Advisor, which runs a program in the background called Belarc, and will then create an HTML file of your computer profile, including a security profile and list of licenses on your computer. I'll make a computer profile and upload to show you how handy it can be.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks like my network card is fried.

I reinstalled 7. No luck. I threw in my Ubuntu LiveCD. No internet.

Luckily, i have a wireless card installed... and i don't do TOO much online gaming via my PC, so i just hope i can get the linksys drivers working proper on 7. Going to try it tonight.

Yes, i tried another cable (one that's confirmed working on another home PC), and other ports (on the router).

I *just* got this computer working, and now... another problem.

Hopefully soon, i can get a working 'puter that i don't eff up
tongue.gif

Thanks for the input guys
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello