Direct boot ROM in Emulator?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by twiztidsinz, Mar 17, 2010.

Mar 17, 2010
  1. twiztidsinz
    OP

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I was wondering if the AK2 or AKAIO firmware had a feature similar to Moonshell's ability to directly boot a ROM in the emulator, like nes.nesDS.nds in the \extlink\ folder

2. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Not sure what you mean, but there is a option to bypass the AKAIO menu and launch a preselected game. There is no option in AKAIO that lets you skip the warning screen when first turning on the DS. You can have the DS skip the "slot selection" screen using a DS option setting.

You can PM me if you have other questions.

3. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    In Moonshell2 there is a folder called extlink that holds specially made version homebrew apps to launch files of a certain type, for example "nes.nesDS.nds" launches any NDS file with the nesDS.nds emulator. It also skips over the emulators file select screen and boots the ROM directly, so say you launch "Super Mario Bros.nes" the game will start up automatically instead of loading nesDS's normal file select screen.

4. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    What problem with nds.akaio.nds?

[Oops] So you want extlink feature in /__aio? Possibly won't be implemented.
    Anyway nowadays I don't use akmenu nor akaio... Only YSMenu/MoonShell.

5. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I think what you are talking about are plugins...
    They used to be in AKAIO, but the team removed them and are refusing to re-implement them.

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    A way round this is to get Moonshell to boot up automatically when you switch on (also you need to 'fix' it to run commercial ROMs), add appropriate nds files to EXTLINK folder, then use moonshell to open whatever files you'd like (music,picture,GBC roms etc) - & use AKAIO to run the ROMS.

It's not perfect (you will still need to browse once the appropriate program has started) but at least it's a start

Unfortunately - The best setup of this you can currently get is Moonshell 2.09 & AKAIO 1.5.1, as there are currently no 'fixes' for moonshell 2.1 final for commercial rom running with AKAIO 1.6RC1 (Yet!!!)

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Well YSMenu is fine for you, with all the 'messing' around you are doing with running through various carts etc., but AKAIO on my AK2i will do me just fine, thank you very much.
    I'll keep YSMenu for my shitty old R4!

8. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Actually I've been told using YSMenu on an acekard can 'brick it' (never had it myself actually) but since YSMenu was developed for DSTT and AKAIO was developed for Acekards - I'll stick to the one that's developed for the card I'm using (which is currently the acekard)

9. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    What about Moonshell 2.09 with AKAIO 1.6RC1?

Also, if I launch a NDS game through Moonshell 2, and have AKAIO 1.51 or 1.6RC1, will it load any cheats I have previously selected?

10. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    What a lot of questions......OK I'll try & explain a bit more detail
    It's possible.. It depends on the cheat itself I believe... I don't really use Cheats (that often) so don't really know.
    What I do know is IF you wish to ADD cheats or alter them you will need to boot into AKAIO & select them from within that

Hope that clears up some of your questions

11. twiztidsinz
    OP

United States
    There isn't a loader like Xenon++'s for Moonshell2/YSmenu?
    I've seen a "nds.akaio.nds" in a few places and had hoped/assumed it would just load the game selected through your current version of AKAIO.
    I didn't think it would need to be updated for every version of AKAIO [​IMG] That sucks...

Thanks a ton!! [​IMG]

12. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Well, that file doesn't need to be updated for EVERY akaio update. Just the major versions (ie: 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 etc.)
    It's because of the different encryption used for each version.

And when you think about it, after the recent R4 debacle, you can hardly blame them for trying to up the security.

13. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    1. my moonshl2alt.nds can be akmenu4.nds if dldi-patched.
    2. new encryption is introduced so nds.akaio.nds won't work. Of course you can modify yslaunch slightly for akaio.