Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if the AK2 or AKAIO firmware had a feature similar to Moonshell's ability to directly boot a ROM in the emulator, like nes.nesDS.nds in the \extlink\ folder

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure what you mean, but there is a option to bypass the AKAIO menu and launch a preselected game. There is no option in AKAIO that lets you skip the warning screen when first turning on the DS. You can have the DS skip the "slot selection" screen using a DS option setting.

You can PM me if you have other questions.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Masked Ranger said:
Not sure what you mean, but there is a option to bypass the AKAIO menu and launch a preselected game. There is no option in AKAIO that lets you skip the warning screen when first turning on the DS. You can have the DS skip the "slot selection" screen using a DS option setting.

You can PM me if you have other questions.
In Moonshell2 there is a folder called extlink that holds specially made version homebrew apps to launch files of a certain type, for example "nes.nesDS.nds" launches any NDS file with the nesDS.nds emulator. It also skips over the emulators file select screen and boots the ROM directly, so say you launch "Super Mario Bros.nes" the game will start up automatically instead of loading nesDS's normal file select screen.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What problem with nds.akaio.nds?

[Oops] So you want extlink feature in /__aio? Possibly won't be implemented.
Anyway nowadays I don't use akmenu nor akaio... Only YSMenu/MoonShell.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
fearofshorts said:
I think what you are talking about are plugins...
They used to be in AKAIO, but the team removed them and are refusing to re-implement them.
A way round this is to get Moonshell to boot up automatically when you switch on (also you need to 'fix' it to run commercial ROMs), add appropriate nds files to EXTLINK folder, then use moonshell to open whatever files you'd like (music,picture,GBC roms etc) - & use AKAIO to run the ROMS.

It's not perfect (you will still need to browse once the appropriate program has started) but at least it's a start

Unfortunately - The best setup of this you can currently get is Moonshell 2.09 & AKAIO 1.5.1, as there are currently no 'fixes' for moonshell 2.1 final for commercial rom running with AKAIO 1.6RC1 (Yet!!!)

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xenon++ said:
Anyway nowadays I don't use akmenu nor akaio... Only YSMenu/MoonShell
Well YSMenu is fine for you, with all the 'messing' around you are doing with running through various carts etc., but AKAIO on my AK2i will do me just fine, thank you very much.
I'll keep YSMenu for my shitty old R4!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
Xenon++ said:
Anyway nowadays I don't use akmenu nor akaio... Only YSMenu/MoonShell
Well YSMenu is fine for you, with all the 'messing' around you are doing with running through various carts etc., but AKAIO on my AK2i will do me just fine, thank you very much.
I'll keep YSMenu for my shitty old R4!
Actually I've been told using YSMenu on an acekard can 'brick it' (never had it myself actually) but since YSMenu was developed for DSTT and AKAIO was developed for Acekards - I'll stick to the one that's developed for the card I'm using (which is currently the acekard)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
I think what you are talking about are plugins...
They used to be in AKAIO, but the team removed them and are refusing to re-implement them.That sucks... any idea why?

CannonFoddr said:
A way round this is to get Moonshell to boot up automatically when you switch on (also you need to 'fix' it to run commercial ROMs), add appropriate nds files to EXTLINK folder, then use moonshell to open whatever files you'd like (music,picture,GBC roms etc) - & use AKAIO to run the ROMS.Is it possible to get Moonshell2 to boot right from the start, i.e. 'firmware replacement'?
If not, how long is the load time from Health and Safety to when Moonshell starts to boot?

CannonFoddr said:
It's not perfect (you will still need to browse once the appropriate program has started) but at least it's a start
What do you mean by this?
Run a .NDS -> Loads nesDS -> Manually select game?
If so, that defeats the purpose of using Moonshell2 for the extlink
tongue.gif

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Mar 18 2010, 04:43 AM)
Unfortunately - The best setup of this you can currently get is Moonshell 2.09 & AKAIO 1.5.1, as there are currently no 'fixes' for moonshell 2.1 final for commercial rom running with AKAIO 1.6RC1 (Yet!!!)
What about Moonshell 2.09 with AKAIO 1.6RC1?

Also, if I launch a NDS game through Moonshell 2, and have AKAIO 1.51 or 1.6RC1, will it load any cheats I have previously selected?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
What a lot of questions......OK I'll try & explain a bit more detail
QUOTE said:
Is it possible to get Moonshell2 to boot right from the start, i.e. 'firmware replacement'?
If not, how long is the load time from Health and Safety to when Moonshell starts to boot?
AFAIK there is NO way to bypass the Health & safety screen 'automatically' without flashing your DS
What you will need to do is:
  • Start your DS(Lite/Phat/DSi)
    Press [A] to get pass the Heatlh & safety screen
    Highlight the flashcard (if not already selected),
    Press [A] to start the boot process
    Then during the boot process Moonshell will AUTOMATICALLY be loaded in, so you start in Moonshell straight away
Depending on your setup this will mean that AKAIO will load in - then autorun moonshell
OR
It will load in Moonshell directly without having to load in AKAIO first

As for the time it takes - I've never timed it but I would guess it's about the same as if you were using the normal flashcard own firmware + 1 or 2 seconds

QUOTE said:
What do you mean by this?
Run a .NDS -> Loads nesDS -> Manually select game?
If so, that defeats the purpose of using Moonshell2 for the extlinkWell sort of.. what I mean is that in Moonshell it will display all the file types of the programs you've stuck in ExtLink
For example If you had Lameboy in the the ExtLink folder then all Gameboy/Gameboy Color ROMS will show in Moonshell
When you highlight & select a Gameboy/color ROM then Moonshell will start up Lameboy Emulator automatically
THEN you will need to use Lameboys OWN file selector to browse & select the ROM again

SOME programs allow automatic loading of selected files (one is IPK files, another I think is TunaVid)
- so that when you select a IPK (or AVI) file then it will start up the IPK/TunavVid program AND load in the file you selected automatically
without you having to re-browse & select, but such programs are few & far between

QUOTE said:
No... Unfortunately there's been no 'fixes' for Moonshell commercial ROM loading made for AKAIO 1.6RC1 (YET!! - we will have to wait & see),
the same goes for there's no fix for 'MS 2.1 Final' either.
It's because each developer (the AKAIO team and moonlight) keep re-encrypting their programs/loader to prevent hacking attempts

Also, if I launch a NDS game through Moonshell 2, and have AKAIO 1.51 or 1.6RC1, will it load any cheats I have previously selected?
It's possible.. It depends on the cheat itself I believe... I don't really use Cheats (that often) so don't really know.
What I do know is IF you wish to ADD cheats or alter them you will need to boot into AKAIO & select them from within that

Hope that clears up some of your questions

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
AFAIK there is NO way to bypass the Health & safety screen 'automatically' without flashing your DSI know it won't skip the Health and Safety screen... I was just wondering about what it does after that.

CannonFoddr said:
It will load in Moonshell directly without having to load in AKAIO first

As for the time it takes - I've never timed it but I would guess it's about the same as if you were using the normal flashcard own firmware + 1 or 2 secondsTHIS is how I would like it ideally.
On my R4, I have a DLDI patched, R4 encrypted Moonshl2.nds file as _DS_MENU.DAT so after the H&S screen, Moonshell boots directly so there is 0 delay between the H&SS and when Moonshell2 -starts- to load.

CannonFoddr said:
SOME programs allow automatic loading of selected files (one is IPK files, another I think is TunaVid)
- so that when you select a IPK (or AVI) file then it will start up the IPK/TunavVid program AND load in the file you selected automatically
without you having to re-browse & select, but such programs are few & far betweenI know
frown.gif
That's why I used nesDS.nds as an example, because I know it works.
But the answer to my question would be 'Yes, Moonshell2 on AK2 will use extlink'd apps', that's great.

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Mar 18 2010, 11:49 AM) QUOTE
No... Unfortunately there's been no 'fixes' for Moonshell commercial ROM loading made for AKAIO 1.6RC1 (YET!! - we will have to wait & see),
the same goes for there's no fix for 'MS 2.1 Final' either.
It's because each developer (the AKAIO team and moonlight) keep re-encrypting their programs/loader to prevent hacking attempts
There isn't a loader like Xenon++'s for Moonshell2/YSmenu?
I've seen a "nds.akaio.nds" in a few places and had hoped/assumed it would just load the game selected through your current version of AKAIO.
I didn't think it would need to be updated for every version of AKAIO
frown.gif
That sucks...

Thanks a ton!!
biggrin.gif

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, that file doesn't need to be updated for EVERY akaio update. Just the major versions (ie: 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 etc.)
It's because of the different encryption used for each version.

And when you think about it, after the recent R4 debacle, you can hardly blame them for trying to up the security.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
I know it won't skip the Health and Safety screen... I was just wondering about what it does after that.

There isn't a loader like Xenon++'s for Moonshell2/YSmenu?
I've seen a "nds.akaio.nds" in a few places and had hoped/assumed it would just load the game selected through your current version of AKAIO.
I didn't think it would need to be updated for every version of AKAIO
frown.gif
That sucks...
1. my moonshl2alt.nds can be akmenu4.nds if dldi-patched.
2. new encryption is introduced so nds.akaio.nds won't work. Of course you can modify yslaunch slightly for akaio.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker