Hacking DIOS MIOS (Lite)

Lord Coolman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think by now I have about the same number of GC games, CT woorks fine for me with DML and from SD but with my HDD I can't even beat the shorter levels without it going to sleep mode, did you use some kind of a software to disable it or something? Do you remember when did you buy it? If it's a new model maybe I can add it to my list to see which one I could find next time I go to the mall!

I didn't use nothing. I bought it one year ago. 500GB and USB 2.0.

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Very Important information for some games and DiosMios 2.4:
Animal Crossing PAL needs a valid gamecube disc in the drive in order to start.
Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins needs only a Memory Card in the slot A. If you insert a Memory Card in Slot B both games will freeze or not load.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
First I wanna ask you what does "curiosity killed the cat" means? I hear it a lot but where I come from we're not familiar with this story!
The full phrase that's never used is "curiosity killed the cat on the hot tin roof" (imagine a cat unknowingly jumping on to one hot enough to kill it just to see what's up there.) The idea is that sometimes you can get into trouble just for being curious.

ANYWAY
Anyway back on topic and to answer your question, I believe my hard drive goes to sleep mode if it doesn't read any data for like 30 seconds or so "the time needed to beat level 2-1 Crazy Drift in Crazy Taxi because I always use it for testing"!
Okay, so if I'm right about the thing about it doing it every 2 minutes, it might just be that DM's not checking the hard drive frequently enough.
I may not be as interested for Audio Streaming as much as you do because I care more to fix my hard drive, but this is indeed good news, especially that if audio streaming worked it'll at least fix "to some extent" some games being unplayable from my hard drive due to sleep mode!
One reason audio streaming games are particularly a problem is that a lot of other games constantly read music off the disk and so they keep the HDD awake because of that. Audio streaming is currently ignored so games that use it have long periods of time where it should be playing music but since it's not, there's no HDD activity and the drive goes to sleep.

When audio streaming eventually get's fixed, at least those games will now have music and in order to "stream" that music, it will constantly be reading from the HDD. It will probably at least partially fix the HDD sleep issue for a lot of those games.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't use nothing. I bought it one year ago. 500GB and USB 2.0.
Interesting, I bought mine about 3 years ago, maybe they made an improved model? They did say they stopped making the model I got!

The full phrase that's never used is "curiosity killed the cat on the hot tin roof" (imagine a cat unknowingly jumping on to one hot enough to kill it just to see what's up there.) The idea is that sometimes you can get into trouble just for being curious.
Well thank you for explaining the saying for me, I thought there was a story associated with it, where I come from sayings always are associated with stories!

Okay, so if I'm right about the thing about it doing it every 2 minutes, it might just be that DM's not checking the hard drive frequently enough.
One reason audio streaming games are particularly a problem is that a lot of other games constantly read music off the disk and so they keep the HDD awake because of that. Audio streaming is currently ignored so games that use it have long periods of time where it should be playing music but since it's not, there's no HDD activity and the drive goes to sleep.

When audio streaming eventually get's fixed, at least those games will now have music and in order to "stream" that music, it will constantly be reading from the HDD. It will probably at least partially fix the HDD sleep issue for a lot of those games.
This is what I was saying from the very beginning, from my testing it seems DM doesn't check for data fast enough so some hard drives still go to sleep mode, had audio streaming been fixed (which I still don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon because it's a very complicated issue and with the very small space left in Mios I don't think it'll be fixed anytime soon) it would at least make games like Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball playable on my hard drive, still games like Resident Evil (especially CV) and Tomb Raider will still go to sleep mode, I really hope when I get a new hard drive it'll work fine and disable sleep mode!

Wanderlei777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having even more trouble with 2.4 and drive detection and it shutting down or locking up with a black screen (seagate freeagent) If it does boot it plays no problem.

To install, you just install new wad, correct? You dont have to go back to stock mios first or such?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@Wanderlei777 Just install the wad file and it should be written over it!

On another note, am I the only one having troubles with Megaman X Command Mission? I'm replaying this game, after many years, and it's crashing on me a lot, there was this area with a mini fight that would always crash on me, the only way I got past it is by walking really slow hoping not to encounter a fight which I did, most of the times it crashes a simple reboot for the console get it working again but it's still annoying having to replay from the last save everytime!

tbh I never really played it all the way through on Dios Mios before so I don't know if this issue is related to 2.4 or Dios Mios in general, or could it be that my dump is just corrupt, I ripped it using Clean Rip then converted it to DiskEx format!

sunypraystation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, i am having a problem.
i can run all of my games at full speed games on dios mios, except for super smash brothers melee.
it will run, but it is slow and does not load any stages.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
First I wanna ask you what does "curiosity killed the cat" means? I hear it a lot but where I come from we're not familiar with this story!
I'm pretty sure it's not referred to that story and it's not the cat which is curious, but referred to quantum mechanics with the Schrödinger's cat. The cat is alive AND dead at the same time, until you open the box to check inside, and if it is effectively dead, your (human) curiosity killed it because it was still "half" alive before that. (the curiosity forced one state)
Maybe your explanation is valid, but I never heard it before.

I just wanted to clarify, don't make this topic a Schrödinger subject ;)

Edit:
Seems I was wrong, but it was nice to me to think it was.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hi guys, i am having a problem.
i can run all of my games at full speed games on dios mios, except for super smash brothers melee.
it will run, but it is slow and does not load any stages.

Can you provide more info on the setup you use? for me, I use DIOS MIOS 2.4 in real nand, loading Melee (PAL) from USB and it runs fine and at full speed. My HDD is a 1 TB 3,5" model, partitioned half FAT32 (cluster size 32kb, set as active and primary) and half NTFS. Maybe the version of DIOS MIOS you have installed is outdated, or, if your loading from SD Card, this might be the problem. Try using another SD Card (for best results one that is larger than 4GB). If you provide more options on your setup, we might be able to give you better answers.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help a noob?
Whoever said 'don't fix it if it's not broken' was right.
I was using my sd card to play GC games which i launched from USB Loader GX. So i updated DML to 2.4.
Now i am getting incorrect config version, please update your loader!
Does anyone know what this means?

Thank you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
old DML used an old config file.
New DML (since 2.2) use new settings, which old loader didn't know yet.
To use new DML you also need newer loader which understand the newer config.

the solution is displayed in bold in your post above.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
old DML used an old config file.
New DML (since 2.2) use new settings, which old loader didn't know yet.
To use new DML you also need newer loader which understand the newer config.

the solution is displayed in bold in your post above.

Thank you very much. Just a few minutes ago i downloaded a modified version (boot.dol) of USB Loader Gx and in this new version there are much more options including setting the new dml version.
At this point i can either play all my games from SD or USB. Works perfectly. I prefer USB Loader because it has a nice gui so that's why i'd like to use it.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone help a noob?
I was using my sd card to play GC games which i launched from USB Loader GX. So i updated DML to 2.4.

Thank you.
True, don't fix it if it's not broken, something I should learn to follow myself for I have broke stuff trying to improve what's already working so many times before!

Anyway for your issue it seems you're using an old loader, get the newest build for your loader, whichever you prefer to use, personally I use USB Lader GX, and make sure nodisk is set to "off" to load games!

sunypraystation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry about that, i am using a 4gb sandisk with dios mios 2.4 real nand. my usb is FAT32 with 32k clusters.
small games like dragonball and donkey kong work ok, but bigger games like melee and sonic adventure run real slow.
cheers.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found a bug. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has problems with crashing when a memory card is inserted in Slot B. As long as MemCard B is not present, these crashes won't happen. Thats a little bit weird. Not sure what the problem is there either. But there you have it.

-Random Freezes, extremely uncommon
-Crashes when exiting a Chao Race
-Crashes on booting when Ocarina is enabled

marck

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heyy guys its me n im just wondering is there a new dios mios that can work with my hard drive if so give me the link please .

AngryGreek766

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone help a noob?

Thank you.
This shits hilarious. it says right there in BOLD what you should do.

Reactions: TerryG

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
This shits hilarious. it says right there in BOLD what you should do.
Yes Einsten it also says can anyone help a noob.
Here's another question probably for cyan because he doesn't sound like an elitist.
Is there any version of dios mios that supports sd card and usb hard drive simultaneously?
And another question. Can i have two 32gb partitions on my external usb hard drive and dios mios will see them and operate normally?
I have too many gc games that dont fit on 32 gb. My hard drive is 1tb but i dont want to format the whole thing in fat32. I have two partitions; fat32, which is 32gb and the rest is ntfs for wii games.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes Einsten it also says can anyone help a noob.
Here's another question probably for cyan because he doesn't sound like an elitist.
Is there any version of dios mios that supports sd card and usb hard drive simultaneously?
And another question. Can i have two 32gb partitions on my external usb hard drive and dios mios will see them and operate normally?
I have too many gc games that dont fit on 32 gb. My hard drive is 1tb but i dont want to format the whole thing in fat32. I have two partitions; fat32, which is 32gb and the rest is ntfs for wii games.

As of DM2.3, you need to be running a newer loader with support for 2.3+
USB Loader GX r1203 supports that as of now, i'm not familiar with CFG-Loader of WiiFlow, so i couldn't tell you if either of those work with it.

As for the first question: No there isn't. Dios Mios is limited by a certain size requirement on the system. With Dios Mios and Dios Mios Lite, it's one or the other. If you have retail copies of your games, you could use Devolution for one media, and use DM/DML for the other.

As for the second question: Dios Mios only sees the first partition on the drive, i.e. The leftmost one in your partition manager. I assume you already have dios mios working, but for the record, The partition must be FAT32, 32KB Cluster Size, Primary Type, and it must be Set Active. You can use EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition to do all that on your own. Honestly though, FAT32 works fine for Wii Games, so i recommend using only one partition. You could probably just re-size your FAT32 partition to about 150gb. I couldn't imagine any collection of GCN games taking up more space than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1