Hacking DIOS MIOS (Lite)

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
(Curiosity killed the cat so maybe I should just leave this alone but ... )
That number looks to be half the clock speed of the processor (number of cycles in half a second)
Just a stab that the 243000000LL / 128 is just a convenient way to calculate a second then the 2 * 60 could mean every 2 minutes it's being read.

Anyone with a problematic drive know exactly how long their drive takes to go to sleep?

First I wanna ask you what does "curiosity killed the cat" means? I hear it a lot but where I come from we're not familiar with this story!

Anyway back on topic and to answer your question, I believe my hard drive goes to sleep mode if it doesn't read any data for like 30 seconds or so "the time needed to beat level 2-1 Crazy Drift in Crazy Taxi because I always use it for testing"!

This one:

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Recently got a response back from Crediar and confirmed that streaming audio is in the works!
I may not be as interested for Audio Streaming as much as you do because I care more to fix my hard drive, but this is indeed good news, especially that if audio streaming worked it'll at least fix "to some extent" some games being unplayable from my hard drive due to sleep mode!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may not be as interested for Audio Streaming as much as you do because I care more to fix my hard drive, but this is indeed good news, especially that if audio streaming worked it'll at least fix "to some extent" some games being unplayable from my hard drive due to sleep mode!

As for sleeping hard drives that's a tricky area right there. In many cases, HDDs have firmware from the manufacturers that allow you force-disable sleep or idle mode. What brand is it? If it's Western Digital, they have a program where you force it off. If not, you'll probably need to contact the company.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
As for sleeping hard drives that's a tricky area right there. In many cases, HDDs have firmware from the manufacturers that allow you force-disable sleep or idle mode. What brand is it? If it's Western Digital, they have a program where you force it off. If not, you'll probably need to contact the company.

LG and already did, at first they didn't reply but after a couple of months I sent them another email and said that I sent them an email before and didn't get a response, next morning I recieved an email with the phone number and an apology!

They said they can't do it, though it was very obvious they didn't know nor care to know how to do it, in my country such companies only care to sell, they have workers who even don't know what they're selling just wanna sell and make up excuses to get you to buy more like "your HDD may be faulty, buy another may fix your problem" well guess what I already bought 3 and they all did the same, I saved up for another HDD, got a Toshiba and it didn't even run DM at all, it would help me a lot if others can list HDD brands they know they work so if I can find one of them at the mall I'd get it, I can't afford buying several ones just to see which one works!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LG and already did, at first they didn't reply but after a couple of months I sent them another email and said that I sent them an email before and didn't get a response, next morning I recieved an email with the phone number and an apology!

They said they can't do it, though it was very obvious they didn't know nor care to know how to do it, in my country such companies only care to sell, they have workers who even don't know what they're selling just wanna sell and make up excuses to get you to buy more like "your HDD may be faulty, buy another may fix your problem" well guess what I already bought 3 and they all did the same, I saved up for another HDD, got a Toshiba and it didn't even run DM at all, it would help me a lot if others can list HDD brands they know they work so if I can find one of them at the mall I'd get it, I can't afford buying several ones just to see which one works!

Western Digital, MyPassport 500GB is the one I have and never once did it give me issues; it's a very reliable brand. Avoid Seagate and Toshiba if you can.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Weird I was told that Seagate is good, but this is the third confirmation for WD I'll look for that one first, is the software to disable sleep mode available online? And do I use it before or after I format to FAT32?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird I was told that Seagate is good, but this is the third confirmation for WD I'll look for that one first, is the software to disable sleep mode available online? And do I use it before or after I format to FAT32?

The program is called Smartware http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=214&lang=en This is for the MyPassport and MyPassport Essential line of hard drives. This lets you disable the sleep/idle modes; why HDDs have this feature in the first place I'll never know. It's pretty much a useless feature anyway. As for Seagate, they're not the most reliable brand, and Toshiba can be hit or miss. Even though WD mostly uses USB 3.0 connections, it's irrelevant for the Wii, as it will make no difference in stability.

Reactions: sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
The program is called Smartware http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=214&lang=en This is for the MyPassport and MyPassport Essential line of hard drives. This lets you disable the sleep/idle modes; why HDDs have this feature in the first place I'll never know. It's pretty much a useless feature anyway. As for Seagate, they're not the most reliable brand, and Toshiba can be hit or miss. Even though WD mostly uses USB 3.0 connections, it's irrelevant for the Wii, as it will make no difference in stability.

Thanks for the help man ^_^

my seagate works, but not 100% of the time.
I didn't try 2.4 yet, from the changelog I think it fixed my problem of USB detection/reset loop.

I see... So do you suggest I go for Seagate? :o

Uh... My LG Mini HXD5 never gave my any problems, i never noticed that "sleep mode". It works perfectly.

Interesting... Do you have games with audio streaming? I'd like to know if yours doesn't go to sleep mode with them!

Lord Coolman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have 106 GC games. 6 of them have audio streaming. I was playing Crazy Taxi for an hour, and i didn't noticed any "sleep". DM 2.4. BTW, CT have crap gameplay. Oh, and i tested 2 games that aren't in crediar's compatibility list:
-Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO: works.
-Knockout Kings 2003: works.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I think by now I have about the same number of GC games, CT woorks fine for me with DML and from SD but with my HDD I can't even beat the shorter levels without it going to sleep mode, did you use some kind of a software to disable it or something? Do you remember when did you buy it? If it's a new model maybe I can add it to my list to see which one I could find next time I go to the mall!

Crediar's list is way too outdated, there are many Audio Streaming games out of the list, he just refuses to add any, I can confirm Namco Musuem, Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex, and Looney Tunes Back In Action all have audio streaming!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediar's list is way too outdated, there are many Audio Streaming games out of the list, he just refuses to add any, I can confirm Namco Musuem, Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex, and Looney Tunes Back In Action all have audio streaming!

Has anyone tested Star Fox Adventures (NTSC-U)? That uses audio streaming as well. I don't have it on my HDD yet, but I wanted to know if someone can confirm whether or not it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk