"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, to sum up:
- You think this project is dead because there's no longer screenshots of work
To that I say:
It is quite useless (to me) to give people what they want in this situation, what will you gain from that ? Nothing but gaining faith again, I don't see the point, we ARE working on it because we want to, not because we want to make YOUR life better by translating this awesome game (personal opinion).

- You think progress isn't made because we don't really spoke that much often

To me I'd say yes, I've been quite inactive because of life (yeah, we do have lives) jobs etc has been quite crazy so I really didn't have any time for myself.
Even with that, Romsstar is translating the text, we just can't insert it right now and we thought it would be "BETTER" to find a solution and THEN just copy everything Romsstar did instead of just using txt msg lik dis to fit the text limit we are having. It's just about time, we can't give screenshots because there isn't any, but once this problem will be solved, the game would be nearly done, nothing more than that.

- PSP is just an easy win, easy to hack, you are noobs, etc etc

PSP's emulation is far from perfect, the fact that we are able to make a quality translation patch is mostly because the game let us do it.
Most of the time you end up with an horrible Fixed-Width font which is caracterize by horrible spacing between each letters because Japanese doesn't really need that.
And you'll end up with something like this, that's why I condamn everyone claiming to do a translation patch too early, without knowing the upside and the downside of the hacking process
To fix most of those troubles we can have, we use debuggers (or disassembler), to analyze the code of the game and change it accordingly and if you want an example, that's what I did to change the inner function of the PSP to make this. By finding the parameters of the sceUtilityOskInitStart function call of the PSP and changing them, I was able to simply modify the language of those menus (which I think is mandatory, it's just weird to leave japanese in those menu if the game is fully translated) and I wanted to help CrashManX with that for example but at that time, Danball Senki didn't worked with PPSSPP so I couldn't. (I'll have to try now btw) and since I was in a fury I did it for other people's project too.
Another good example would be to take my main project Tales of Rebirth (I'll use some PSP screenshots since I only have those with me now)
Compare this and this (and don't mind the remaining japanese that's just an old compiled Iso I'm using to run test code, everything in those menus are translated so far)
Notice the "Auto-Cooking" originally オート料理 which is only 5 characters long so it's short, but Auto-Cooking is far bigger than that, so it's a bit overlapping on the other text.
Now it's the same Digimon problem, do you really want us to leave it like this ? Or should we do what I did and move it to the left a little bit ? Yeah, it does look better, but it took me years of waiting for a GOOD debugger to come, because JPCSP wasn't really up to the task. I can play a little bit with PPSSPP even if it's far from a perfect debugger, it does help a lot.
To everyone thinking it's just about changing text, I dare you to complete a big project like this one just "like that". It's far from easy on every side and if it were the case, don't you think a lot of games would have been translated ? Especially on the PSP Scene ? We merely have "Menu" patches, why ? Because people can't go through all the difficulties beyond that.
It's quite common for programmer to get some of the most used text on the .data section of the elf (Eboot.bin if you were wondering) so basically you have Eboot patches, that's all. It's really sad I might add, people just want to do something quick when seriously, EVERYONE can play with a japanese menu, but I think the Story is the key in EVERY project. You just miss everything but you're playing a partially translated game (while "I" take this opportunity to learn the Kana which are not hard at all when you take more than 20min to try)

Now, I want to end this by saying:
I don't care about everyone wanting this patch, seriously, I mean it.
I do not do it for any kind of personal satisfaction, but merely trying to convince a few people to help me (or me to help them) going through this all mess of what we call
the Romhacking world.
To "finaly" enjoy a game we want to play in a language we all understand.
And since we're at it, giving it for free and never be remembered because people remember patch, not patch makers.

tl;dr : too bad, you're gonna have to read.

Malubaby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As always. I give you my gratitude even if you don't care for it. I hope at some point the right debugger comes along and will wait patiently till then. Also, I totally agree with you regarding the story being important. I can't enjoy a game without knowing the story, it feels hollow and pointless.

Classicassassin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No one said it was dead because of lack of screenshots they said it was dead because the text limit has halted any advance in finishing the patch. Regardless of whether you care or not I'm very much behind this project I think what you guys are doing is outstanding.

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys, we don't care if you don't like our work.
Anyways, i'll show you this.
Since i'm one of thge programmer, and i'm exploring the data of this game, i found some useful things like images editor, text editor and the most recent editor for the digimon's data(the results are shown some pages above...).
I was attracted by the idea of making a model editor too. But i'm new at 3d graphics... :(
I searched a bit and i found out how the model data works in some minutes, then i wrote an OBJ exporter. Now it perfectly works with all models of this game, even the most complex ones!
PS: I cannot get the meshes for now, so no colours, but the models are good!
models.png

What do you think about this? It's a new world for me, but i'm enjoying learning! :)

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Say, would it be possible to create entirely new digimons with it? As in, include Digimons that aren't in the game?

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is one of my goals! ;)
But it would be boring and difficult to do... I need to decode the meshes and the animations.
For now exporting is enough!

Reactions: hs101

axisovert

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To the team ::lol:
I've been a long time stalker of this project since last year :ph34r: , and I just wanted to let you know, that you shouldn't care about the haters, I still support and am waiting patiently I know you guys have lives and are busy and I understand that, after all I have a life too.( Not sure about all these haters though ....) But anyways keep on going and I'm sure when this project is finished it will be amazing. Great job guys. I'm so excited... ( though I do wish I knew something technical or whatever to be able to help you guys).
SO like my friend says "keep on keepin' on!"
It's her way of say good luck and keep up the great work.
Well, bye now...I'm going back to stalking.

Jadentheman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the relaunch of Digimon Adventure is succesful, are there ANY chances that they'll do an official translation of the Digimon Adventure game for PSP or maybe launch it in the Playstation Store (for PSP and Vita)?

I doubt it since it's Namco....

E3 is just around the corner. What surprises do some companies have in store for us? Hoping here

Jadentheman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the relaunch of Digimon Adventure is succesful, are there ANY chances that they'll do an official translation of the Digimon Adventure game for PSP or maybe launch it in the Playstation Store (for PSP and Vita)?

I doubt it since it's Namco....

E3 is just around the corner. What surprises do some companies have in store for us? Hoping here

Carsonator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there, I'll try not to make this too long, but i have a habit of rambling so forgive me on that, and also my spelling is truly terrible so again sorry in advance.

I've watched this this forum for a long, long time, since it had about 20 pages of comments i think, and I've never commented till now. quite why i don't know but anyway.

Firstly I just wanted to say that I know a lot about video game, even did a BTEC National Dip. around games design, but I'd never be able to do the work being put in by this team, I'm simply too thick to be able to, so I'd like to say i truly admire the team behind this project and I'd like to say like so many others that I deeply appreciate the work your doing around your own lives that's making this such a big thing around the internet.

Secondly i wanted to comment on StorMyu's earlier, and very long and descriptive, comment around all the work involved with the text and so forth. Although I have no problem with the text your planning or anything, I actually appreciate the explanation, even though it was at the expense of your time and towards someones bad choice of comment, because I had no idea how all this worked in terms of time and the programs and so forth, so although for a completely different reason, thank you for the explanation and also, although yourself said that you aren't doing this for anyone else, I'd like to re-iterate what I've said already and say thank you for all your work, as well as the teams joint effort on this project. Although your not doing this just for the public (if at all for us) yourself and the team re making this, for me anyway, one of the best video game waiting times ever.

Thirdly, and finally, Roxas's work with the 3D models, I just wanted to say I LOVE the idea of more Digimon being included in the game, and if it is possible to include more Digimon into the game then I personally think it's fantastic, but the first question that comes to me is, would putting more Digimon, or new Digimon i should say, into the game mean going over the already existing Digimon? and would it be possible to extend the evolution tree menu if it could be done? just want a better idea of the potential of what you could do with the models. Failing new Digimon being included, could you (with practice I assume) improve the models already in the game? (for the generation of games the world is in, i always felt the models looked rushed :unsure: ) also, would it be a lot to ask for, if you could do it, for the team to make small piece of DLC with new Digimon released as and when they are finished? or would new Digimon be with the 100% factor? sorry for so many questions about the 3D modeling but I'm really intrigued by the idea of what could be done assuming yourself have the time.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this was very long, but i have so many questions and hopefully the team will have time to answer them in their busy days, even if it's a "I Don't know". Also i will add nothing I've said here is in malice or to be argumentative or anything of the sort to anyone, I'm adding this so that this can be read in a way that doesn't cause eternal hate for someone who has only just signed onto this site 15 mins ago, that being myself.

Thanks for you time :lol:

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well for now i haven't so much control of the models, and i don't think i'll ever have it.
I can still edit the exiating ones instead.
If i'll do great changes, they' ll be released in the future ;)

Carsonator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well for now i haven't so much control of the models, and i don't think i'll ever have it.
I can still edit the exiating ones instead.
If i'll do great changes, they' ll be released in the future ;)
btw Roxas, i'm not sure how well it would work, cause i'm not sure what programming is sued for the models and so forth, but if you wanted to test another 3D modeling program if you find the current one annoying, I use a modeller called 3DSMax, its from a site called autodesk. I'll put a link below if you wanna check it out, otherwise you can find it by just googling the site. if you say your a student, especially if you ARE a student (not sure about your personal lives), then you get the software for free B-) hope this helps somehow lol

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I actually have 3DS Max 2013, pretty badass, really hard to get along.
But I don't know maybe an upscaling, the psp's memory might not be able to handle it btw... (but heh, maybe)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk