Different size Sys and Emunand from same console?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cosmic_Link, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Cosmic_Link
    OP

Cosmic_Link Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2010
    Hi all,

Was just following Plailect's guide for installing A9LH on a N3DSXL.

I have just backed up the Sysnand and Emunand, as stated in step 4, and it both Nands are different sizes. Have made a second backup of each, with the same result.

Both sizes match up to the sizes stated on this page for N3DS: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/NAND-Size

Here is a screen cap of the 2 nands.

[​IMG]

Sysnand boots fine, emunand boots fine. Sysnand is 9.2, emunand is 11.0.

Is this normal? :S I don't expect it is. If somebody could advise before I continue, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. shadowofdarkness

shadowofdarkness GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2007
    Canada
    It's a min size redNAND

Cosmic_Link likes this.
  3. Cosmic_Link
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2010
    So it's fine for me to continue then?

I've not used "Rednand" before, only "emunand" this and it was a while ago when I installed A9LH on my own console and I never used this guide to install it, so I just wanted to be sure since this console doesn't have a hardmod.

Thanks for your help. :D

4. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    I have not seen this before, but I would not recommend that you flash that emunand to sysnand, just for safety.

Cosmic_Link likes this.
  5. Cosmic_Link
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks. That was what I expected.

Will try to just make a new emunand instead with matching sizes before I continue. ^_^

6. shadowofdarkness

Apr 17, 2007
    Canada
    It is a perfectly fine backup, I wouldn't waste the space on having matching sizes. The extra space is just zeroes anyway.

In a pinch it can be flashed to sysNAND with no problems even though it's smaller.

Cosmic_Link likes this.
  7. Cosmic_Link
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2010
    Ok cool. Thanks for your help. I'll carry on as I was then, since I have followed all other steps to a tee. ^_^

8. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    is there any evidence that this is actually safe to do? Last time i checked, brick protection doesnt protect from something that isnt the correct size...

9. shadowofdarkness

Apr 17, 2007
    Canada
    Knowledge of how it works and since that is probably not enough for you I did at one time see dok3 say it and I'm sure you would trust him.

10. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    This happened to me most of the time, Emunand and Sysnand backups are not the same size(But they are valid since I check it on Plailects guide if it's the right nand dump) and I don't have problems at all.

11. Ar5chK3ks

Ar5chK3ks GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2016
    Gambia, The
    The thing is that the way RedNAND works it will always have the smallest possible NAND-size for both N3DS and O3DS.
    Because there is the possibility to get 2 different NAND-sizes on each console, you will appear to get different Sys and RedNAND sizes if your normal SysNAND uses the bigger value.

12. Fgamer

Fgamer Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2012
  13. Cosmic_Link
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2010
    Just a quick update about this. I continued with the process and all is working fine with no issues.

Thanks for everybody's responses. ^_^

14. Ar5chK3ks

Ar5chK3ks GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Good to hear ^^ Have fun :P