Hacking Different size Sys and Emunand from same console?

Cosmic_Link

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was just following Plailect's guide for installing A9LH on a N3DSXL.

I have just backed up the Sysnand and Emunand, as stated in step 4, and it both Nands are different sizes. Have made a second backup of each, with the same result.

Both sizes match up to the sizes stated on this page for N3DS: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/NAND-Size

Here is a screen cap of the 2 nands.

14j3inr.jpg

Sysnand boots fine, emunand boots fine. Sysnand is 9.2, emunand is 11.0.

Is this normal? :S I don't expect it is. If somebody could advise before I continue, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cosmic_Link

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's fine for me to continue then?

I've not used "Rednand" before, only "emunand" this and it was a while ago when I installed A9LH on my own console and I never used this guide to install it, so I just wanted to be sure since this console doesn't have a hardmod.

Thanks for your help. :D

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a perfectly fine backup, I wouldn't waste the space on having matching sizes. The extra space is just zeroes anyway.

In a pinch it can be flashed to sysNAND with no problems even though it's smaller.

Reactions: Cosmic_Link

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a perfectly fine backup, I wouldn't waste the space on having matching sizes. The extra space is just zeroes anyway.

In a pinch it can be flashed to sysNAND with no problems even though it's smaller.
is there any evidence that this is actually safe to do? Last time i checked, brick protection doesnt protect from something that isnt the correct size...

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there any evidence that this is actually safe to do? Last time i checked, brick protection doesnt protect from something that isnt the correct size...

Knowledge of how it works and since that is probably not enough for you I did at one time see dok3 say it and I'm sure you would trust him.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to me most of the time, Emunand and Sysnand backups are not the same size(But they are valid since I check it on Plailects guide if it's the right nand dump) and I don't have problems at all.

Ar5chK3ks

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The thing is that the way RedNAND works it will always have the smallest possible NAND-size for both N3DS and O3DS.
Because there is the possibility to get 2 different NAND-sizes on each console, you will appear to get different Sys and RedNAND sizes if your normal SysNAND uses the bigger value.

Cosmic_Link

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick update about this. I continued with the process and all is working fine with no issues.

Thanks for everybody's responses. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.