Hardware Different OEM switch chargers?

OhItsSlick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it’s not too hard to see in the pictures but there are pins “missing” in one OEM charger compared to another. Does anybody know why this might be? The reason I’m wondering is because the charger with the “full” set of pins is continuously frying the M9 ic on a particular switch I have while the other isn’t. The switch pro controller cable also has some pins missing like the first image and that charges just fine.

Attachments

• 4E697FB6-38D3-4B3A-B361-043C16875D4F.jpeg
    4E697FB6-38D3-4B3A-B361-043C16875D4F.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 22
  • CAC39BDD-1E7C-426C-A0DD-0D98CFF5A6D9.jpeg
    CAC39BDD-1E7C-426C-A0DD-0D98CFF5A6D9.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by OhItsSlick,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The connector on the left has all the pins needed for fast-charging with USB-C according to the standard.
That said, the cable on the left has no pins for the cable configuration and USB2 data lines.
USB2 datalines are not used by chargers so that is not the problem.
I don't know if the charger on the right tries to do something smart but that might indeed be the reason why things go wrong.
Theoretically speaking, the cable configuration pins could signal the charger some information that is maybe interpreted incorrectly and thus providing the wrong voltage/current.
But it might just as well be a bad design where the voltage is too high.
But for determining that you need to special test equipment and willing to sacrifice another charger chip.
Nintendo implemented it's own fast charging protocol which is not compatible with that of the other/official standards.
Some power supply manufacturers just didn't get it right and the best example were those docks blowing up Switches.

OhItsSlick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The connector on the left has all the pins needed for fast-charging with USB-C according to the standard.
That said, the cable on the left has no pins for the cable configuration and USB2 data lines.
USB2 datalines are not used by chargers so that is not the problem.
I don't know if the charger on the right tries to do something smart but that might indeed be the reason why things go wrong.
Theoretically speaking, the cable configuration pins could signal the charger some information that is maybe interpreted incorrectly and thus providing the wrong voltage/current.
But it might just as well be a bad design where the voltage is too high.
But for determining that you need to special test equipment and willing to sacrifice another charger chip.
Nintendo implemented it's own fast charging protocol which is not compatible with that of the other/official standards.
Some power supply manufacturers just didn't get it right and the best example were those docks blowing up Switches.
Thanks for the in depth reply! I actually found that there was continuity between VCONN and CC on the charging port which is more than likely the cause.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1