Gaming differences between ds lite mobos?

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was tearing apart some ds lites, and found some differences between their mobos. the first was the colour, but that it's just the sun that each recieved over the years i guess. the second one was a difference in a string of text, in the two consoles of the left of the image says "C/USG-CPU-01", but in the right one says "C/USG-CPU-10". a revision i guess?
just for curiosity, what changed on that possible revision? what are the differences between both?

tumblr_ouu08cdT1L1wswkaoo1_1280.jpg

as always (well not so always), sorry for the possible hard to understand english

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have never seen anybody discuss the differences, never seen anybody say "get a later model as it fixed these issues" and I have equally never seen any replacement parts which say only ?? revision (though if it is not the wifi board, power switch, headphone jack or card slots nobody really bothers to repair them as wholesale replacement is cheap and easy).

For the original DS models you had the ones with the DS lite brightness control chip (which you could get access to with flashme) and the firmwares which blocked various exploits that were used. I suppose you also had the Chinese ique stuff (might have come with a larger chip to house the necessary characters), and I don't know what went for the Korean stuff.

Looking at those I can't see any differences beyond the routing of the antenna wire. Nothing populated on one that is not on the other, and no trace differences. Obviously I can't tell what values for things are from that and that can make a huge difference in certain things. Likewise no shots of the other side and layers in between.

VzUh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
her's another image of the boards, the 10 one it's on top. notice the directional pad contacts being diffrent.
tumblr_ouu4qoxfkF1wswkaoo1_1280.jpg

never had iqeue stuff (afaik, all the ds's that i ever touched say nintendo when powered on), but never it's too late to buy some :tpi:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be a difference, not sure what that might do there was no "all or nothing"/fully pressed button detection I know of and I don't think that would help with accidental presses or false positives but I could be wrong. I would be curious to see if similar changes happened to a wii remote or something made around the same times as each of those.
The small ribbon cable in the bottom left also appears different between them. Not sure if that is a touchscreen or a backlight ribbon but it seems to be the same number of tracks either way (those small devices look to be in two sets of two parallel devices each, possibly to make a value or handle the power.
I am not sure if the L4 device (below the b button) is different shaped or just a different angle. The markings are different but without testing it I am more inclined to write it off as a "that was the vendor they used for that run" type thing, not to mention all of those appear to be simple passive components. Depending upon the circuit changing a resistor or capacitor can have some fairly radical effects (a good example probably being the 3ds audio mods to increase volume by changing a resistor http://gbatemp.net/threads/hardware...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/ ) but again I never heard anybody say to get a certain model as it fixes or still has a nice feature.

VzUh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
the true is, i dont care so much about the bottom screen. i was going to change it from the begining, but fyi the left bottom ribbon cable is for the backlight, the touch screen it's connected to the mobo by another ribbon on the top right (looking from the front).
here is (maybe the last, actually mounted a frankenstein monster with a mix of pieces and i am too lazy to unmount it again) image of the set:
tumblr_ouul6qhBtM1wswkaoo1_1280.jpg
the image show the front of the mobo, without the screen. the upper one is "the normal", and the bottom it's the "10" one. looking closely, there's also a component that don't look like the ones in the other boards in the center of the ABXY buttons.

hmm... maybe i should censore the barcode numbers for some reason?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the detail shot.
I stuck one over the other, made them broadly the same size and started flicking between the two.

Underneath the serial are some numbers on the 10 board and dots on the 1.

Said different buttons also have different traces. In the 10 one the pattern is far more curved, and underneath the down button on the 10 board the clearance between the traces is greater. I don't know if that speaks to an issue getting solved or a change for whatever reason which also saw a "best practices" type thing come in (so many times I have had to change one thing and despite it being pointless as the rest of the machine is working fine without it I get to do best practices and do all that sort of thing).

After that we are back to looking at differences in values of components, or the batch they came from. It might be an angle/trick of the light but the 10 motherboard might have its vias plated differently.

JoKoKilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I found this just recently compared two motherboard like you, and was curious about the slight differences. What about the GBA pin terminal? Notice how the ones one the left are exposed while the one on the right is enclosed. I noticed this difference between my two, both are a C/USG-CPU-10.

Anyone know to tell the difference between a newer battery?

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I had a bundle of 30 original DS boards and most of them had different numbers, I was led to believe that the numbers on them represented the factory or country of origin or something,

I also noticed on them that some of the ribbon cable connector flaps were brown, others were black etc,

RE the cable being routed a different way - I wonder if the owner brought it second hand or reconditioned etc - there are several "home repairers" and business's that claim to be pros who put the consoles together wrongly etc. the one that's routed a lot differently looks like it has tape holding it down just below the game slot,

Reactions: JoKoKilla

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-