Hacking Did you brick your Wii with Paper Mario?

EU / JPN people: Did Paper Mario Brick your Wii?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I own an English NTSC Wii, but feel the need to vote anyway!

• What

• Total voters

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In short... nintendo doesn't care if you install a chip.
They make a lot of money on their consoles. So what if you brick one? Another 150 bucks pure profit in nintendo's wallet.

Who they're attacking are those pirates in china who are selling pre-chipped Wiis and SELLING backups in retail stores.

Copyright? Copyright is a blanket concept. It's all about revenue theft. The RIAA didn't go after napster because they felt that it was "wrong."
They sued because they saw it as thousands of people stealing their revenues.

No concept can be owned, because even if it's lost forever, it will be rediscovered.

cdmoore74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you use ebay, where they're about the same price
tongue.gif

Nice one.

Timmy!!&

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't brick my Wii, but that was pure luck.

I installed the update that apperently came with SPM, and it played just fine. The next day, a new update was availeble through wifi, so I downloaded that one too. SPM worked still fine for me. After all of this, I read the forum... Thank god I have no problems, but I'm sorry for all you others guys out there

D

Deleted User

I guess the lesson learned here is ... play your own region games.

Like ... even if you keep the Wii updated all the time ... just imagine ... you burn a game of a different region ... and you THINK you have the latest firmware ... when in fact, they JUST released a new upgrade while you were burning your disc ... and then you try out the game ... and BAM. Or maybe future games will update it no matter what. I'm not going to take any risks ... or at least, I'll let others take the risks first.

Dwaalspoor98

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guess I'm also a lucky one...

Leeched Super Paper Mario straight away from the moment after it was released and I did update my firmware on my PAL Wii from the SPM DVD, but I didn't/don't have any problems
smile.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Seriously, when is this sort of belief going to stop. We have to admit it guys, whilst chipping your Wii is a legally contentious issue - reproducing copyrighted games with a street value of £40 GBP is very much illegal and Nintendo sure as hell care.

"But they dont do anything to stop us".
Massive misconception, the community performs wonders to circumnavigate the security and if Nintendo did want to release a console - which uses a common format media - to be "secure" it would not be cost effective. Additionally, the console would take a hell of a lot more R&D and development time and cost.

Cost effectiveness is what Nintendo cares about, copied via the internet or sold by a Chinese pirate, it both means the same to them - lost revenue for them and their partners (3rd party developers).

Lets just stop kidding ourselves of any different hey, as its going too far.

I am a bit upset to hear this taken 1 step further where people will put shopkeepers out of money, by replacing broken Wii's with a store bought - thats one step further than piracy (which the law generally ignores for personal use) into Fraud and deliberate pre-meditated theft.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I'm pretty sure they do.. you should read up about the security measures in Nintendo's consoles maybe? You know that Nintendo logo on the original GB? Well that's in the cart and has to be there for the GB to boot the cart, so before a certain court case even homebrew was illegal... Nintendo cares and can be pretty clever about it.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Seriously, when is this sort of belief going to stop. We have to admit it guys, whilst chipping your Wii is a legally contentious issue - reproducing copyrighted games with a street value of £40 GBP is very much illegal and Nintendo sure as hell care.

"But they dont do anything to stop us".
Massive misconception, the community performs wonders to circumnavigate the security and if Nintendo did want to release a console - which uses a common format media - to be "secure" it would not be cost effective. Additionally, the console would take a hell of a lot more R&D and development time and cost.

Cost effectiveness is what Nintendo cares about, copied via the internet or sold by a Chinese pirate, it both means the same to them - lost revenue for them and their partners (3rd party developers).

Lets just stop kidding ourselves of any different hey, as its going too far.

I am a bit upset to hear this taken 1 step further where people will put shopkeepers out of money, by replacing broken Wii's with a store bought - thats one step further than piracy (which the law generally ignores for personal use) into Fraud and deliberate pre-meditated theft.

I have to concur, well said. Yeah I use unlicensed copies of games, but I am aware of what I'm doing and I will face the consequences and take responsibility for my actions, I harbor no illusions over what I'm doing. Its somewhat immature to get involved in this scene, act without thinking and possibly damage your licensed property, only to try and have it replaced via legitimate means. Personally I don't care if you're doing it, but you should be completely honest with yourself as to what you are doing and how it reflects on you. I've damaged personal property before when doing something outside of my defined user agreement, and I pitched it and bought a new one with my hard earned money at a complete loss to myself. Its the very least a responsible adult can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1