lazyguy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Many many years ago, probably over 10 years now, I bought a cheap used xbox, modded it, and never played it.
Always knew about the capacitor leak, but never bothered to check up on it until now.

It does look like it leaked something, but doesn't look like there's any damage or corrosion at all. I'm tempted to just clean up the affected area with alcohol and turn it back on.
MNHiaIv.jpg

There's very little waggling room to break the capacitor legs off unless I really force it.
Manufacture date is 2002 before anyone asks, so I know already.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would remove the leaking clock capacitor and also replace that dodgy chip with a new aladdin xt with proper pinheader connection.
Also check the caps near the cpu if they are leaking or bulging,

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah replace those capacitors in that spot it isn't obvious which one is leaking, honestly a full recap could be good for the soul if you are up to it, not sure about the hard drive situation entirely. i know you need the "lock" or "key" for the drive and to put it on the new drive but i have long forgotten how to do that exactly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Many many years ago, probably over 10 years now, I bought a cheap used xbox, modded it, and never played it.
Always knew about the capacitor leak, but never bothered to check up on it until now.

It does look like it leaked something, but doesn't look like there's any damage or corrosion at all. I'm tempted to just clean up the affected area with alcohol and turn it back on.

There's very little waggling room to break the capacitor legs off unless I really force it.
Manufacture date is 2002 before anyone asks, so I know already.
It looks like there could be some minor corrosion but everything looks intact, so a good clean should get it almost good as new.
I've never tried the method of twisting a capacitor off but I saw someone do it on YouTube and it seemed to work remarkably well. You do need to apply some force though.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desolder gun would be best case scenario. Watch some of Voultar's vids, or a guy on YT named John Salt (just search his channel for SS-331h desolder station). I'm gonna be buying one of these myself soon, to tackle an NESRGB installation. No way I would even try without it. But once I have it, things like re-capping an old console will be a breeze. Over time, money well spent.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've removed tons of those clock capacitors without desoldering them. Just rock them back and forth until the wires break. Don't use force. You don't need to. Just basically wiggle it back and forth and it will break free clean. And just to be clear, it's the 1 ohm cap. I've never seen any of the other caps go bad except for the occasional bulging cap on the power board.

Once it's gone, clean that whole area of the board with isopropyl alcohol and it will probably be fine. Sometimes they leak to the underside of the board, so consider taking it out to clean there as well. Expect to go through a lot of q-tips.

Trace corrosion usually manifests in the system behaving erratically when you try to power it on. Sometimes it will take a few presses or power off straight away or reset randomly. There can be other symptoms but those are the most common, so if you don't get that when you press the power button it's probably fine.

Reactions: Ozito

lazyguy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I removed the capacitor by waggle breaking it off. Cleaned the area with alcohol,
Put everything back together, and it freezes on boot. It boots and 1-2 secs in, it freezes.
I have evo x apparently. Any ideas on what to do?

Can I just image this hdd and then clone it onto a bigger drive then expand the drive?

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Was it booting normally before taking it apart?

Maybe the bios can't find the appropriate .xbe to boot the dashboard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1