Did Piracy kill the PSP?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by funnystory, Jan 28, 2016.

1. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I only bought one because of the cfw and I started hearing rumours piracy killed it,does anyone here know what happened?

2. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    No. The opposite happened actually. The ease of piracy boosted sales of the system which in turn gained alot of developers. The psp has one of the largest and best catalog of games of any handheld system. Better then vita as a matter of fact.

Voxel, Zero Dozer, cvskid and 4 others like this.
  3. crono999

crono999 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    If piracy killed the psp, what killed the vita?

Nightwish, CeeDee, Voxel and 7 others like this.
  4. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Lack of interesting games and some third/first party support. When Vita finally has its own CFW, I have many reasons to believe that its sales will oost up

WeedZ likes this.
  5. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Bad games and overgimicing. Had Vita in my head for some reason.

Last edited by spinal_cord, Jan 28, 2016
    nxwing and WeedZ like this.
  6. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    The flood of stupid weeb dating sims

Incolbum, CeeDee, VinsCool and 3 others like this.
  7. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    vita has no good games,but I would be sure to buy one once cfw comes out.

8. crono999

crono999 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    Lol, indeed most of the answers above killed the ps vita, but no cfw or piracy!

I think piracy/cfw would save the ps vita if it happened sooner!

It did made de psp great.

9. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I don't think there's any saving of the vita. Psp had some good games and features to begin with. The vita had maybe two. I played Killzone and some dungeon crawler. Everthing else I downloaded/bought pissed me off. I was half expecting the vita version of minecraft to have a weeaboo schoolgirl touch minigame. I gave my vita away last year.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  10. wawnord

wawnord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Sony killed the PSP , cause there are only a handfull of good games. My PSP has a CFW too, but i'm using it only for Homebrew and Nintendo Emulators

11. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Troll much?

Korma and nxwing like this.
  12. wawnord

wawnord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    No trolling, just my opinion.

13. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    The last software developed for the psp as well as the latest fw update was last year. Far into the life of vita. I'd say that's closer to immortality then death.

14. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Yup. The West will also be receiving new titles for the PSP.

WeedZ likes this.
  15. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Sony themselves.

nxwing likes this.
  16. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    christ, it did and it didnt.

cfw ofcourse lead to system sales. and that might have attracted a bunch of producers.

but companies make money with sold games.

if you buy just the console/memory card and pirate the games, you're costing sony and everyone else money. it varies from console to console, but when a new one is released, most companies only break even after you bought like 2-3 games.

now granted, there are still more people who do what they're supposed to do and not pirate, to the point where the companies still make enough money. but under the assumption that a pirate reeally wants to play at least a few games and couldn't otherwise access them, he'd have to redirect money towards sony to do so. clearly, he'd never buy all the 300 games he looked into as a pirate. but he'd still make them a few bucks of profit. which is more than none bucks of profit (or a net loss).

in conclusion, no, piracy has yet to really kill any console. it has to be so freely available, be so easy and safe to use and around so early and knowledge about it so widely spread that no one would want to buy games for real to ever get to that point.

but it absolutely loses companies money, no ifs or buts about it.

people that want to pirate, do it, but at least have the decency to feel bad about it once in a while. and dont try to find justifications that make it look like you did something good (like boosting sales through supposed advertising to your friends or other bullshit like that)

Zero Dozer likes this.
  17. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ill-let-you-guys-in-on-a-secret-about-pirates.410644/

Nightwish and osaka35 like this.
  18. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
  19. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    To a point, most pirates would never have bought what they pirated. There definitely are some people that pirate what they could or would buy, but there are far fewer than the people that pirate because they can. Hell some pirates don't even play what they pirate. They just think they sound cool telling people they have a 2TB HDD full if Wii games.

I personally don't pirate anything, but every system I own, than can be, is modded because it adds convince. I have a physical copy of every single game on my HDD but it's easier to use a USB loader than to hunt through discs. And especially portables, It's easier to have the games on the systems than to carry games around.

I did pirate when I was younger, but I never would have bought what I prated because I was a broke ass college kid and had no money. I didn't go crazy downloading 200 games but I definitely did pirate some I wanted to play and couldn't afford at the time. So in my case, at the time, the software company lost nothing from me because I would not have bought it anyway.

Now that I have a job I don't do it, but I could just as easy buy nothing and pirate it all.

And let's not forget them casual pirates that buy used games ;)

I know some so cost they companies money but I thing there are way more that don't than ones that do, and I think way more people buy games than pirate. Otherwise the whole damn game industry would have tanked along time ago.

I don't think piracy killed the PSP as much as Sony would have you believe, I think Sony was just done with it. It was aging hardware.

Last edited by mediabob, Jan 28, 2016
  20. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    same here man, the vita was wack as f*** , psp man i had 3 to 4 psp's sold and bought again cause psp was and is awesome thanks to the CFW.
    you could do alot with a hacked psp, i had a phat black psp , a silver slim, red slim and a psp go. i was playing on them for years.

i had a vita for 1.5 year and then like you i gave it away ,gifted away i only played p4g on it.

and Tales of Innocence R , most of the vita games were kind of awful weeaboish fanservicei'sh dont know if i can say fanservice'ish as english is not my native language but heck the Vita is wack.
    most boring handheld i have had, 3ds destroys it in every aspect except graphically BUT there are very neat looking games on 3ds as well.

3ds/psp>vita

Last edited by leonmagnus99, Jan 28, 2016
    WeedZ likes this.
  21. TeamScriptKiddies
    This message by TeamScriptKiddies has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 28, 2016.
    Jan 28, 2016