Did Piracy kill the PSP?

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did and it didn't. People might argue that other consoles have piracy and still sold a lot of games (ex: playstation2, ds) the psp was a lot t easier to pirate games. I know people who never had pirated games before and started with the psp. They always bought their games, but found it easier to just download it and put it in the memory stick.

This was all before PlayStation network even came online. Also, developers invested heavily on this due to hype that PlayStation had attached to its name around that time. Though they realized around 2-3 years later that over 50% of the psp user base never buys any games.

Typed from phone, so forgive the bad formatting and badly edited text

Last edited by Cortador,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy used, which is the equivalent of pirating as far as the developers are concerned. I'll also be buying a used vita if I ever get one, which does not add to units sold.

I have a used PSTV, which is a vita without the controls/screen/touch. Only picked up cheapo used games, and use it as a nice emulation box. I contribute nothing to sony's books, even with all my legal purchases.

Last edited by osaka35,

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was a great hacker. That's for sure. Now everything is about who's epeen is bigger and pushing personal morals.

Thats fine to show of Epeen,but they need to actually deliver. We have people that promise things and never deliver now a days.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Easy piracy and the fact the console was hackable day one gave a sale boost, it's a known fact.

Also, the PSP is very affordable, that helps a lot.

It used to be expensive when it came out 11 years ago lol. Affordability had nothing to do with it.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have 2 64g sds with cias. A terabyte full of games for my wii. Another terabyte with movies, music and such. A modded ps3. Still have an original xbox running xbmc with a 100g internal hdd, over a hundred xb games and a several emulators with complete rom collections. every game on my pc and android is cracked. Is that good enough?

in that case, you're "pirates support blablabla" post was misleading and intentionally so. you gave them pocket change when you owed them papers to make yourself feel better and try to make piracy look positive. but you still took stuff for free which you had no right to have or experience.
you also most likely only 'support' selectively. how do you support your android developers? and which of them? do you equally buy random movies from all companies and songs from all artists? or only from a bunch you really like? what about the rest?

i dont go to the supermarket and take two apples but only pay for one, while patting myself on the back for still supporting the apple industry.

Let's see...

A ten year lifespan, unit sales exceeding 75 million units... games like Peace Walker, Trails in the Sky and the inclusion of PS1 classics...

Yes, Sony did finally pull the plug at the end, but it was not piracy that "killed" the system- it was the end of its run, a long and healthy lifespan.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/af...psp-what-s-your-favorite-memory/1100-6420050/

well, with 75 million units sold, it still is a shame that even the best selling games never were paid for by more than 12% of psp owners (assuming that a single customer averagely owned 2 psps)

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did and it didn't. People might argue that other consoles have piracy and still sold a lot of games (ex: playstation2, ds) the psp was a lot t easier to pirate games. I know people who never had pirated games before and started with the psp. They always bought their games, but found it easier to just download it and put it in the memory stick.

This was all before PlayStation network even came online. Also, developers invested heavily on this due to hype that PlayStation had attached to its name around that time. Though they realized around 2-3 years later that over 50% of the psp user base never buys any games.

Typed from phone, so forgive the bad formatting and badly edited text

The DS is hands down the easiest system to pirate for, no questions ask. You literally have to do nothing but buy a flash card, put games on an SD card, and pop it in. You don't even have to be technically inclined.

Also DS Roms were far easier to obtain than PSP ISOs back during the systems heyday.

The original playstation was even easier, but your average consumer was much less technically inclined back the and the Internet wasn't what it is today.

Last edited by mediabob,

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, Bob.

The entire concept that an early to mid 2000s system was having people downloading 1+ gigabyte ISOs left and right by all 75 million is just unrealistic, and to use it as a "this killed the system" when DS games merely required a flashcard and a fraction of the space is also unrealistic.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS is hands down the easiest system to pirate for, no questions ask. You literally have to do nothing but buy a flash card, put games on an SD card, and pop it in. You don't even have to be technically inclined.

Also DS Roms were far easier to obtain than PSP ISOs back during the systems heyday.

The original playstation was even easier, but your average consumer was much less technically inclined back the and the Internet wasn't what it is today.
I'd have to say the ps2 is tied with the Ds (in its later days anyways). Just buy an hdloader disc, network adapter and a cheap idea HDD, no modding required (except for certain problem games). Easy peasy lemon squeezy lol

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What do you mean DS roms were easier to obtain? People with PSPs could make their own dumps without having to have extra accessories. That Iso site only showed up in the map because of the Psp lol.

The psp also had the advantage of not having to shell out money to be able to pirate.

Everyone I knew had their PSPs hacked either by then or friends who were tech savy. I couldn't say the same about the DS. Only when I went to Brazil did I see people using an "R4".

Personally that was my own experience.

I remember reading a few years ago about a game company giving an interview explaining how 90% of the people who were playing an online game of theirs were pirates. Granted, not every pirate is a purchase, but 90% is absurd.

If you go back and check NPD stats, you will see data of its popular games (Kingdom hearts, FF7, GTA and etc...) all marginally low while its system base was huge (30m+).

Absolutely, Bob.

The entire concept that an early to mid 2000s system was having people downloading 1+ gigabyte ISOs left and right by all 75 million is just unrealistic, and to use it as a "this killed the system" when DS games merely required a flashcard and a fraction of the space is also unrealistic.

Psp games were not that size in the beginning of its life spam. Most games ranged around 100MB-200MB, some even smaller.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And at the "beginning of its lifespan", the PSP didn't have piracy either. That didn't ramp up until late in the game.

So thbbb.

Huh what?
Mine EUR launch day PSP came with FW 2.0 and the exploitable one was 1.5.
If I remember correctly, after only a month or less they hacked FW 2.0.
So it was besides Wii, one of the fastest ''piracy enabled'' consoles.

Reactions: WeedZ

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy doesn't kill anything. It's already been shown over and over again that the habits of the modern consumer have not stopped, but rather people become digital pack rats but still buy their favorite product because they like to have something to hold, etc.

Besides, if piracy could kill one system, it would kill them all.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy doesn't kill anything. It's already been shown over and over again that the habits of the modern consumer have not stopped, but rather people become digital pack rats but still buy their favorite product because they like to have something to hold, etc.

Besides, if piracy could kill one system, it would kill them all.

Don't expect rational arguments from the "PIRACY DOOMZ US ALL" crowd. I know I learned that lesson.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one is saying PSP sales were killed by piracy,but statistics do show that piracy fucked game sales. The company makes money of games not the hardware(except for nintendthieves)

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy had a hand in the PSP if you agree with the comments years ago from various developers. Mind you they'll embellish stuff about total downloads versus how many would have actually bought it. YOu can't say well 1M copies were downloaded and 100K were bought, they screwed us and not back it up. A good many will either just steal and never buy, can't afford it and may get it in discount or second hand(no $ to maker anyway), borrow it, or whatever the case may be. Konami made a huge shit about MGS Peacewalker how they somehow contacted various torrent etc sites for anon-data about downloads of that game and some up with some 7 figure mess then pointed out how they sold a couple hundred thousand copies only or whatever it was and claimed they didn't make a profit or one it should have and terminated future development. Various other developers whined the same, but weren't Konami or as mouthy as them and releases dried up big time, eventually PSP kind of converted into this JRPG and JRPG (TRPG/SRPG) type box so you either like it or leave it. I had a PSP but after Peacewalker I ditched it because things I was going to buy got terminated, and other than an Ys game known I saw nothing I'd care for.

Now the Vita that's Sony's fault. I know a few things, and above it's mentioned in part as public rumor. It's not easy nor cheap to develop for, since they went PS3-esque with it, you get the costs involved. The system itself isn't exactly cheap either when it came out, and games when it was newer were nearly console priced too like $10 over your average 3DS game. Also it was just a portable console, and it has a lot of console conversions and less really unique stuff for a stretch. Also Sony played the stupid arrogance card (my brother is a producer for a third party game maker) where they just assumed since it was known to be Sony, known to be a portable Playstation, they didn't need to advertise, court, or suck up to anyone to make games for it a bit after its launch. This left developers either discouraged to make games, or nervous if it was going to get pulled because of slower sales. Eventually Sony wised up but the damage was done and we've seen the slow trickle of games it gets especially in physical format. That's the fate of it which is sad, I had a PSP and for a year or something had Vita but ditched it around the time of Gravity Rush as nothing was coming I'd buy (don't want console ports, fed up with third person console titles too.) I'd buy a Vita again sometime, but it would have to be a real cherry deal as it has enough now I'd dig into other than the 5 (4 I liked) games I had with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat