Did a game ever help you?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was taking a Science exam when the question "At what degree of heat does the human bodies cells start to give?" or something like that.. I thought back to the NDS game 999, and a character called Santa told me the answer. I can't remember it now, but I did on the test. It was the only question I didn't know. Have video games, or any games helped you out in real life? If so, how?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last year I came down with Swine flu right before Halloween and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 helped me out. It gave me something to do and helped me forget how much pain was in.
I think that counts.

Wait! Phoenix Wright once helped me win a legal debate (I shit you not)

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
With a neglectful Mom and a busy Dad, Video games (SNES, NES) taught me how to read.

At the age of 1 and a half.

I can recollect memories that far back... Beat Super Mario World before I was 2.
wink.gif

Ahh. I will never forget the classics.

Also, won several Brawl and Jump tournaments with Cash prizes. at least 200+ from tourneys, I guess that is help too.
tongue.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I owe a lot of my academic success to video games. I don't think I would have graduated high school without them.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I owe a lot of my academic success to video games. I don't think I would have graduated high school without them.

Then you know how I feel.
wink.gif

I also have a great sense of rhythm from years and yeas DDR, Ouendan, EBA, Osu!, Rock Band, and Taiko Drum Master.

As well as great reaction time.

OH, right!

Cool story - got hit by a van going almost 30 miles an hour, on the way home from school... tossed into the air, landed on my back. A huge scene. I was able to take a few steps back and get hit by the headlight, going over it, instead of being dead center and going under... Would have been killed. Came out with minimal damage.

... was saved by my reaction time, from playing so many video games.
wink.gif

Video games saved my life?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
With a neglectful Mom and a busy Dad, Video games (SNES, NES) taught me how to read.

I can recollect memories that far back... Beat Super Mario World before I was 2.
wink.gif
Sorry, but I have to call BULLSHIT.

The part of the brain responsible for the formation of memories (the hippocampus) doesn't fully develop until after the 2nd year of life in humans. Until then, you can't possibly form memories. That's why no one remembers when they were born (or being in the womb before they were born). Most people don't even remember breastfeeding because they stop and switch to bottles before 2-1/2 years old.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
Schlupi said:

wink.gif
Sorry, but I have to call BULLSHIT.

The part of the brain responsible for the formation of memories (the hippocampus) doesn't fully develop until after the 2nd year of life in humans. Until then, you can't possibly form memories. That's why no one remembers when they were born (or being in the womb before they were born). Most people don't even remember breastfeeding because they stop and switch to bottles before 2-1/2 years old.
You have no idea how grateful I am for not remembering that.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Phoenix Wright taught me a lot about having a stable debate and having a good side of defense . if ever one of my friends got into an issue, i'd tell them about calling me for help , just because Phoenix Wright taught me a bit about law .

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
Offtopic: Hey there Densetsu3000! how you doing?
Hey there RoboticBuddy! I started medical school last summer so I have much less free time now. I'm less of an active poster and more of a lurker now.

I just wrote the neuroscience final so I had to respond to this thread with my new-found knowledge
tongue.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sushi Acadamy taught me the proper names of different types of sushi, and it's ingredients.

Now I can tell the guy making the sushi exactly what I want.
happy.gif

Heya Densetsu. You've been missed around here, doc.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Sushi Acadamy taught me the proper names of different types of sushi, and it's ingredients.

Now I can tell the guy making the sushi exactly what I want.
happy.gif

Heya Densetsu. You've been missed around here, doc.
Mmmm, sushi...

Heya foxy man! I miss the 'Temp too! Well, I never really left, I just don't come on as frequently and mostly lurk. I can't believe all that's been going on in the past couple of weeks
ohmy.gif

*ON TOPIC*
First-person shooters will help me in med school greatly. Many of the surgical tools used are robots that are controlled by dual-analog sticks. The surgeons capable of performing the most delicate surgical procedures are the ones with excellent hand-eye coordination. So if you play a lot of video games, you'd be great at performing hysterectomies and colonoscopies
tongue.gif

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trauma Center helped me immensely in my medical science class.

I now know that magic jelly and magic injections can raise the heart rate of anyone who's in critical condition, and that you can kill mutant alien virii with laser beams.

I also learned that open heart surgery can be successfully completed within five minutes.

Finally, if you're a magical doctor you can move your hands faster than the speed of sound if you think about a star shape.

Srsly tho, kaizo marios and tetris have, without a doubt, increased my reaction time tenfold.

HEARDATBEAT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha I learned how to control a car that's sliding in the snow from the games Gran Turismo. It happened to me once on the highway and I controlled the car very well even though the left, back tire was flat. And I thank guitar hero and Bust-A-Groove for my quick-ish reaction time.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Atari math grand prix. I use to play that befor I could do math and my parents would help me get the answer so come school time ( yeah I am old and that was new when I was starting school ) I was a wiz at math. So much so I was in college during my senior year of high school
smile.gif
. And whoever said video games don't help you out in life is talkin' total B.S. !!!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1