Dexter

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No idea if there's a thread for this. If there is, I'm sure it'd be a necro bump.

dexter_season_8_poster.jpg

Anyways, I went on a huge binge and watched all 7 seasons in 2 and a half weeks. Season 4 is by far my favorite with the Trinity Killer. While the killings wasn't all that mysterious, the character John Lithgow (Lord Farquad from Shrek, that old dude from 3rd Rock From The Sun) was insanely creepy.

I was disappointed with Season 7 to be honest. It didn't have any real shockers.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the show and what are your predictions for Season 8 (aka the final season) ?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dexter kinda feels like going to church now. You really don't want to go and it's a pain in the ass to go, but you kinda go because you have to.

I'll watch the final season out of obligation, not out of want.

There was another Dexter thread but whatever it was a bit cluttered anyway.

EDIT: By the way I don't hate the series but the last half of season seven was some of the worst TV I've seen.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dexter kinda feels like going to church now. You really don't want to go and it's a pain in the ass to go, but you kinda go because you have to.

I'll watch the final season out of obligation, not out of want.

There was another Dexter thread but whatever it was a bit cluttered anyway.

EDIT: By the way I don't hate the series but the last half of season seven was some of the worst TV I've seen.
The whole season itself was boring. Even the ending wasn't boring. There was no "serious" serial killer that Dexter had trouble with or anything. Instead he was helping out a mob guy? It seemed out of place. I do like the idea of a certain someone knowing his secret and her reacting, well accordingly as anyone would, but she over does it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole season itself was boring. Even the ending wasn't boring. There was no "serious" serial killer that Dexter had trouble with or anything. Instead he was helping out a mob guy? It seemed out of place. I do like the idea of a certain someone knowing his secret and her reacting, well accordingly as anyone would, but she over does it.

The first half of the season was good because it wasn't so typical honestly, the show had been like six seasons of almost the same cookie cutter plot. There's a serial killer, Dexter must kill him, hijinks ensue. It got kinda boring. But having a season that explored Deb and Dexter a bit more (minus that incest plotline shit) and had an antagonist but not necessarily a villain was really neat. Isaac (?) was a really good character. Once he died (YES SPOILERS) the show kinda goes to shit. It loses a lot of the actual plot for the season and it kinda scrambles together a really fake build up and finale at the end that's riddled with plotholes.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't mind Season 7 I thought they could have played out the end result a bit better than they did though. Season 6 and 5 were the Seasons that were boring to me.

Season 5 was alright with that district attorney dude or whatever. That story was okay. Season 6 had so much potential, but the whole twist of
The guy being dead and the young man just seeing hallucinations and him actually killing his sister

could have been pulled off so much better.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked Dexter. It had a really strong first and second season, a somewhat weak third season (not even Jimmy Smits can save it), and a strong fourth season. After that, though, everything just kind of fell apart. The plots became dumber and dumber and the show became even more obsessed with maintaining its status quo than before. Plus, a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense. Season 7 seemed to be breaking away from this with a new, interesting antagonist, but nope, fuck that, what we all wanted was Lila 2.0.

I'll probably watch it to the end just to say I did, but Dexter is the television equivalent of the Hindenburg.

While we're on the topic of Dexter, though...

Also, this.

Reactions: Satangel

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I liked Dexter. It had a really strong first and second season, a somewhat weak third season (not even Jimmy Smits can save it), and a strong fourth season. After that, though, everything just kind of fell apart. The plots became dumber and dumber and the show became even more obsessed with maintaining its status quo than before. Plus, a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense. Season 7 seemed to be breaking away from this with a new, interesting antagonist, but nope, fuck that, what we all wanted was Lila 2.0.

I'll probably watch it to the end just to say I did, but Dexter is the television equivalent of the Hindenburg.

While we're on the topic of Dexter, though...

Also, this.

I actually hated Lila. I found her extremely annoying. The only thing she was good for was showing her tits (That's totally not sexist guys! It's giving her more credit than she deserves). The season where Julia Stiles was the guest, I actually liked that season. I think it's because I liked her because she reminded me somewhat of Rita, but Dexter could be more open and she was okay with what he was doing (obviously Rita didn't). But unlike Lila, Lumen (Stiles) wasn't overly crazy or anything.

I liked Rita because she had everything that Dexter wanted that he told he could never have, a happy life, kids, a wife, friends. And Lumen was somewhat the opposite, she didn't have any of that, but she loved Dexter and she didn't care about his killings, and she wasn't psychotic like Lila.

My prediction for this 8th season though, is that the Metro Miami Police Department is going to be all over Dexter, and in the end he's gonna kill himself because he considers himself a bad person.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I stopped watching it (whatever series ended with a birthday party) because I left the country for a few months and was lumped with 3g during that time and have yet to pick it back up, from what keeps being said though I may let it slide.

I am curious enough that I might one day pick up the books though.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Only watched season 1, 2 and the first two episodes of season 3

season 1 was great, season 2 was crap, and season 3 was boring

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just watched the first episode of the new season and... wow. I know Dexter has a habit for lazy writing, but glossing over the entirety of that awful season finale takes the cake. The exposition was painfully forced, almost to an insulting degree.

"I sure wish I could be like Debra and quit one day. Did you get that, guys? Deb quit."
*Dexter loses control, followed by Ghost Dad telling the audience that Dexter is losing control*

So many plot points were just skipped over. I guess the whole bullshit about Batista's restaurant has been swept under the rug? I guess nobody found anything suspicious about LaGuerta's murder, considering how yet another person died after trying to investigate Dexter's personal life? Harrison can talk now?

I guess they're trying to raise the stakes, but considering how Dexter has thicker plot armor than Batman at this point, it's kind of hard to care. Oh boy, yet another character that will get too close to Dexter and force him to retaliate. That's never been done before at all!

The end won't get here soon enough. I just want to get off Dexter Morgan's wild ride.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from Deb's fall being completely out of character and the deus ex machina of Charlotte Rampling's character (seriously? All of a sudden more than 80 episodes in Dexter's "creator" appears and knows everything about him?) my impeccable suspension of disbelief has allowed me to enjoy the last two episodes...

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody else think Dexter is the main killer for this last season? They are really pushing the "Dexter is losing it" angle, and is being played as very similar to him already. Split personality perhaps?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody else think Dexter is the main killer for this last season? They are really pushing the "Dexter is losing it" angle, and is being played as very similar to him already. Split personality perhaps?

If this is the actual twist I will lose my faith in humanity.

The last two episodes have been pretty shit, not even all that enjoyable. I'll only watch because I just want the show to end and I can say "I've seen all of Dexter".

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
@ All the negative feedback and least this isn't as bad as Season 5 and 6. If Season 7 hadn't been interesting in the first 5 episodes I would have quit this show.

I only really watch Dexter right now because I feel as though I have to, not because I want to.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm a really big Dexter fan, just finished watching Season 7 (I saved the whole series for 2013, I absolutely hate waiting on episodes so I usually wait until the whole series is out so I can watch when I want), and I must say I share the feelings of Guild; first half was really really good, second half a lot worse. Though it kept me gripped till the end, I really wanted to keep watching. But sooooooooooooooooo many plotholes, like every episode at least 5 points that are quite obvious and a real inspector could have used it to nail Dexter to the Cross a long time ago.
I hate those plotholes, or making things too easy/fast. Wasn't the case in the first seasons at least, but now more and more.

Still, looking forward to Season 8!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1