Homebrew Devolution Verifying games without offical copy of game

EtahnJay144

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok just so no one gets mad i am going explain why i am posting this is in emulation. technically when using a family edition wii or wii u its emulating!
I was just wondering if theres any way possible to verify games maybe from your computer, or antything.
i only have one wii and it does not have gcn support, and i dont know anyone with a wii. So i dont have any other way and i really want to play paper mario! please someone help.

Reactions: Margen67

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
All Wii's including the Wii-U and the family Wii's have upgraded versions of the GameCube hardware that is backwards compatible. The main difference is that Nintendo intentionally disabled/removed the MIOS on the Family Wii/Wii-U along with disabling the drive's on those Wii's from reading GameCube discs. But the hardware like the CPU and graphics chip are basically unchanged from that of the original Wii. (with the exception of the Wii-U which have further enhancements). The newer Wiis and the Family Wiis were made cheaper by removing a few GameCube specific hardware that Wii games don't really use for the most part.

I suppose Nintendo didn't want to spend the extra money on R&D to create their own software to replace the missing hardware and wanted to keep the newer consoles within budget.

Devolution is different from DIOS-MIOS and similar loaders in that it doesn't put the Wii into "GameCube mode" which relies on MIOS. GameCube mode is basically just a software sandbox of sorts that disabled some of the Wii's upgraded hardware and makes it appear as a GameCube to GameCube games. Mostly done to ensure compatibility. The big drawback is that NOTHING can be run on top of the game like a cheating program or even something like a screenshot app and the like. Basically only GameCube code is active and all the Wii stuff besides the home menu hook is disabled.

What Devolation does is maintain Wii mode and but boot GameCube games in a way similar to VirtualBox/VMWare on a PC. MIOS sorta does this too, but this time all the Wii hardware is left on and accessible to a certain extent. It simply virtualizes the GameCube hardware so that the games run with the code instructions being executed directly on the hardware with no emulation/translation and if run on newer Wii's, Family Wii's/Wii-U, then it also recreates the missing GameCube hardware that was removed from those units like the GameCube controller ports among a few other minor things. This gives the advantage of being able to actively run code on top of the gamecube software. Things like emulating controllers for example require this. The games are still sandboxed, but this time the Wii hardware can be used to actively manipulate the environment the GameCube games are running in.

I can go on and on how the AP measures in Devolution are stupid and redundant. Read it in this spoiler tag if you want to know my view on this, otherwise just skip to the bottom. :P

Sure it would make sense if Devolution was the only available method to play backups, but it isn't and the AP measures are a hindrance to those who actually own the games and those who do pirate games will just use alternative methods to play their illegal copies. It just defeats the point of using Devolution. It was originally created to run GameCube games on newer Wii's that couldn't read GameCube discs and/or go into GameCube mode.

But alas, the users who do own the games can't use it on them because of said AP measures requiring verifying the discs on hardware that can read it. It's a self defeating loop. Completely pointless. They might as well go out and buy a GameCube if they have to go out and find a Wii to verify discs on. Would save them the money. Just imagine if you had to plug your Wii into your PC before running Dolphin...Yeah. But at least the convenience of the HD quality gaming would outweigh that DRM inconvenience. With Devolution that convenience is very narrow. If someone owns a Wii and a Wii-U they get the small convenience of being able to get rid of the Wii. But that's about it. Everyone else who doesn't own the Wii are just SOL then.

I can understand developers not wanting to enable piracy. But this is a situation where piracy would be unavoidable because of the very nature of what the program does. It plays images/copies of the original game. Adding AP measures destroys the convenience that the software was intended to bring to it's intended users. Those who own the games and wish to run them on newer Wiis but can't. If they already owned an older Wii that can play them, then they wouldn't have looked at using Devolution in the first place.

No amount of argument will get over this basic flaw in the logic of this whole debacle. He would have saved him self a lot of the drama by just not publicly releasing it or working on it at all. He knew exactly the can of worms he was opening when he decided to throw in the AP code.

But that would be beating a long dead horse and no point discussing that further it since the developer of Devolution has no intention of changing it. If he wishes to cripple his own program let him. He owns the code, he can do what he wants. Even if the majority of his end users disagree. Such a waste of potential in my opinion.

Your best bet is to just wait till "Nintendont" gets released. It's basically the same as Devolution, but built by a different developer with different code/mindset and won't have any AP measures at all. Since Devolution is not open source, don't expect Nintendont to be a carbon copy of Devolution.

It may very well have a few more flaws then Devolution. Maybe not and it ends up being better in some ways. Won't know until the final product is out the door. So wait for Nintendont. Problem solved. :D

EtahnJay144

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Wii's including the Wii-U and the family Wii's have upgraded versions of the GameCube hardware that is backwards compatible. The main difference is that Nintendo intentionally disabled/removed the MIOS on the Family Wii/Wii-U along with disabling the drive's on those Wii's from reading GameCube discs. But the hardware like the CPU and graphics chip are basically unchanged from that of the original Wii. (with the exception of the Wii-U which have further enhancements). The newer Wiis and the Family Wiis were made cheaper by removing a few GameCube specific hardware that Wii games don't really use for the most part.

I suppose Nintendo didn't want to spend the extra money on R&D to create their own software to replace the missing hardware and wanted to keep the newer consoles within budget.

Devolution is different from DIOS-MIOS and similar loaders in that it doesn't put the Wii into "GameCube mode" which relies on MIOS. GameCube mode is basically just a software sandbox of sorts that disabled some of the Wii's upgraded hardware and makes it appear as a GameCube to GameCube games. Mostly done to ensure compatibility. The big drawback is that NOTHING can be run on top of the game like a cheating program or even something like a screenshot app and the like. Basically only GameCube code is active and all the Wii stuff besides the home menu hook is disabled.

What Devolation does is maintain Wii mode and but boot GameCube games in a way similar to VirtualBox/VMWare on a PC. MIOS sorta does this too, but this time all the Wii hardware is left on and accessible to a certain extent. It simply virtualizes the GameCube hardware so that the games run with the code instructions being executed directly on the hardware with no emulation/translation and if run on newer Wii's, Family Wii's/Wii-U, then it also recreates the missing GameCube hardware that was removed from those units like the GameCube controller ports among a few other minor things. This gives the advantage of being able to actively run code on top of the gamecube software. Things like emulating controllers for example require this. The games are still sandboxed, but this time the Wii hardware can be used to actively manipulate the environment the GameCube games are running in.

I can go on and on how the AP measures in Devolution are stupid and redundant. Read it in this spoiler tag if you want to know my view on this, otherwise just skip to the bottom. :P

Sure it would make sense if Devolution was the only available method to play backups, but it isn't and the AP measures are a hindrance to those who actually own the games and those who do pirate games will just use alternative methods to play their illegal copies. It just defeats the point of using Devolution. It was originally created to run GameCube games on newer Wii's that couldn't read GameCube discs and/or go into GameCube mode.

But alas, the users who do own the games can't use it on them because of said AP measures requiring verifying the discs on hardware that can read it. It's a self defeating loop. Completely pointless. They might as well go out and buy a GameCube if they have to go out and find a Wii to verify discs on. Would save them the money. Just imagine if you had to plug your Wii into your PC before running Dolphin...Yeah. But at least the convenience of the HD quality gaming would outweigh that DRM inconvenience. With Devolution that convenience is very narrow. If someone owns a Wii and a Wii-U they get the small convenience of being able to get rid of the Wii. But that's about it. Everyone else who doesn't own the Wii are just SOL then.

I can understand developers not wanting to enable piracy. But this is a situation where piracy would be unavoidable because of the very nature of what the program does. It plays images/copies of the original game. Adding AP measures destroys the convenience that the software was intended to bring to it's intended users. Those who own the games and wish to run them on newer Wiis but can't. If they already owned an older Wii that can play them, then they wouldn't have looked at using Devolution in the first place.

No amount of argument will get over this basic flaw in the logic of this whole debacle. He would have saved him self a lot of the drama by just not publicly releasing it or working on it at all. He knew exactly the can of worms he was opening when he decided to throw in the AP code.

But that would be beating a long dead horse and no point discussing that further it since the developer of Devolution has no intention of changing it. If he wishes to cripple his own program let him. He owns the code, he can do what he wants. Even if the majority of his end users disagree. Such a waste of potential in my opinion.

Your best bet is to just wait till "Nintendont" gets released. It's basically the same as Devolution, but built by a different developer with different code/mindset and won't have any AP measures at all. Since Devolution is not open source, don't expect Nintendont to be a carbon copy of Devolution.

It may very well have a few more flaws then Devolution. Maybe not and it ends up being better in some ways. Won't know until the final product is out the door. So wait for Nintendont. Problem solved. :D

THanks you helped alot Now i cant wait till it comes out!

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Only problem with Nintendon't is it doesn't have support for CC or WiiU CC. It's a little inconvenient for people without dualshock controllers.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
People have been reported to have cracked the AP, but nobody's shared how.

So right now, publicly, you can't play anything you can't verify.

Where? i can read the post about AP cracked?
For me the info of ap stay on wiimote memory and on storage media (i know 1 guy have break the ap, and him say: the ap stay only on USb/SD.. and ap is more strong on wiiU version with the passtrough...
for me the ap is less on r200...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum