Devolution Verifying games without offical copy of game

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by EtahnJay144, Sep 18, 2013.

1. EtahnJay144
    OP

EtahnJay144 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    ok just so no one gets mad i am going explain why i am posting this is in emulation. technically when using a family edition wii or wii u its emulating!
    I was just wondering if theres any way possible to verify games maybe from your computer, or antything.
    i only have one wii and it does not have gcn support, and i dont know anyone with a wii. So i dont have any other way and i really want to play paper mario! please someone help.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    That's not emulating.... :glare: The non gc wii's have gc hardware.

:arrow:Source

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    People have been reported to have cracked the AP, but nobody's shared how.

So right now, publicly, you can't play anything you can't verify.

Margen67 and naxil like this.
  4. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    All Wii's including the Wii-U and the family Wii's have upgraded versions of the GameCube hardware that is backwards compatible. The main difference is that Nintendo intentionally disabled/removed the MIOS on the Family Wii/Wii-U along with disabling the drive's on those Wii's from reading GameCube discs. But the hardware like the CPU and graphics chip are basically unchanged from that of the original Wii. (with the exception of the Wii-U which have further enhancements). The newer Wiis and the Family Wiis were made cheaper by removing a few GameCube specific hardware that Wii games don't really use for the most part.

I suppose Nintendo didn't want to spend the extra money on R&D to create their own software to replace the missing hardware and wanted to keep the newer consoles within budget.

Devolution is different from DIOS-MIOS and similar loaders in that it doesn't put the Wii into "GameCube mode" which relies on MIOS. GameCube mode is basically just a software sandbox of sorts that disabled some of the Wii's upgraded hardware and makes it appear as a GameCube to GameCube games. Mostly done to ensure compatibility. The big drawback is that NOTHING can be run on top of the game like a cheating program or even something like a screenshot app and the like. Basically only GameCube code is active and all the Wii stuff besides the home menu hook is disabled.

What Devolation does is maintain Wii mode and but boot GameCube games in a way similar to VirtualBox/VMWare on a PC. MIOS sorta does this too, but this time all the Wii hardware is left on and accessible to a certain extent. It simply virtualizes the GameCube hardware so that the games run with the code instructions being executed directly on the hardware with no emulation/translation and if run on newer Wii's, Family Wii's/Wii-U, then it also recreates the missing GameCube hardware that was removed from those units like the GameCube controller ports among a few other minor things. This gives the advantage of being able to actively run code on top of the gamecube software. Things like emulating controllers for example require this. The games are still sandboxed, but this time the Wii hardware can be used to actively manipulate the environment the GameCube games are running in.

I can go on and on how the AP measures in Devolution are stupid and redundant. Read it in this spoiler tag if you want to know my view on this, otherwise just skip to the bottom. :P

Devolution Rant Inside! :P

Your best bet is to just wait till "Nintendont" gets released. It's basically the same as Devolution, but built by a different developer with different code/mindset and won't have any AP measures at all. Since Devolution is not open source, don't expect Nintendont to be a carbon copy of Devolution.

It may very well have a few more flaws then Devolution. Maybe not and it ends up being better in some ways. Won't know until the final product is out the door. So wait for Nintendont. Problem solved. :D

Margen67 likes this.
  5. EtahnJay144
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    THanks you helped alot Now i cant wait till it comes out!

Margen67 likes this.
  6. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Only problem with Nintendon't is it doesn't have support for CC or WiiU CC. It's a little inconvenient for people without dualshock controllers.

7. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    Where? i can read the post about AP cracked?
    For me the info of ap stay on wiimote memory and on storage media (i know 1 guy have break the ap, and him say: the ap stay only on USb/SD.. and ap is more strong on wiiU version with the passtrough...
    for me the ap is less on r200...

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/why-add-anti-piracy-measures-to-devolution.330634/
    Somewhere in those pages, a few times. They didn't say how they did it.

9. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    Rydian the thead is BIG.. where is the right post?

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I don't know exactly, but there were multiple times where people confirmed that somebody did break the AP but would NOT release it, and nobody said how it's done.

11. EtahnJay144
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    You can use alot of other different usb controllers though

12. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
  13. Bryon15
    This message by Bryon15 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 7, 2013, Reason: not the place to discuss nintendont or devo-AP.
    Dec 6, 2013
  14. Leo Alves
    This message by Leo Alves has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 7, 2013, Reason: not the place to discuss nintendont or devo-AP.
    Dec 6, 2013