Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure, thats a great idea, im sure hes got a 3.5+GHz core i5/i7 computer with a decent gpu to run games at 100%.
1. You don't NEED to run a game at 100% speed.
2. Various games have different requirements. F-Zero GX is way more demanding than Smash Bros Melee.
3. GPU requirements are hardly anything; basically if it's not Intel or and older integrated AMD/ATI or Nvidia GPU, you'll be fine. You only need it if you want to play in 1440p with 16xAA + 32xAF
4. Dolphin is only dual-core, so a Sandy Bridge Pentium is more than enough for 100% speed in 99% of all games, and an overclocked older generation CPU will get you very close if not to the same level of performance.

tl;dr: I got 30-40fps in F-Zero GX with my lowly Athlon 64 x2 @ 3.1GHz. Dolphin isn't THAT demanding if you have reasonable expectations...and if you don't have a bunch of crap running in the background eating CPU cycles.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There' ALSO the option of controlling with a USB Mouse if you press the right button combination on a USB keyboard to turn it on.

Obviously there's a very small selection of buttons available but it could be enough for basic controls on SOME games. (if you were willing to take the risk of buying the mini-CD adapter to see if it works.)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What version(s) did you test the plug in with? 4.0.2 gives a horrendous code dump, 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 work fine and 4.1 just dumps back to the health warning screen.
Actually, now that I finally got a chance to get back to my Wii and look, it ends up my version is marked 4.0.5 (Now that I think of it, it's probably a beta version somewhere between 4.0.5 and 4.1 ... I don't remember what the rev number is.) I'll have to update my version some time and see if everything still works.

My setup (the potentially relevant parts) , if it helps, is this :

32gb class 4 mini SDHC card w/adapter FAT32 32k clusters
SD : /apps/WiiFlow (boot.dol, WiiFlow.ini, etc)
SD : /apps/gc_devo (DVV files and original Devolution files)
SD : /games (Devolution verified games)
SD : /wiiflow/plugins (all plugin files)
500gb USB HDD, 2 partitions, USB2 FAT32 32k clusters
USB2 : /wiiflow (all the rest of my WiiFlow settings files)

EDIT : Just a thought (don't know if I've asked this already.) Are you running WiiFlow directly from the HBC of from the NEWEST forwarder channel? If you're not, it's possible WiiFlow is not getting AHBPROT patched and so Devolution can't get it patched either (of course, the /wiiflow/loader.bin method wouldn't work either if this were the case, so again, just an idea.)

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there trick to get Devolution to verify GC games with 2 discs without having to play through disk 1 first?
I want to verify all my GC disc 2's at once but don't want to play to get to 'that point'..

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is there trick to get Devolution to verify GC games with 2 discs without having to play through disk 1 first?
I want to verify all my GC disc 2's at once but don't want to play to get to 'that point'..
I think if the disc 1 disk image isn't present it would let you just load disc 2 directly. You might try validating disc2 first and THEN ripping disc1 (or just moving the disc1 disc image out of the /games folder temporarily while you try and validate disc2) It's also very possible they will both be validated in one shot (but that it will still be able to detect if you switch out the old disc2 for an imposter new one)

EDIT : ninja'd

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I'm still having trouble with one game: Paper Mario [G8ME01]...
What condition is your game disc in? Are there any notable scratches?
One of my games would copy to hdd using CleanRip up until it hit a scratch towards the outer edge.
Instead of getting a disc read error, it would just end there and say it was successful.
That's the only other possibility I can think of.
Doesn't seem to fit though, if the rip that you got from elsewhere is truly 1:1,
you should be able to successfully verify using your disc and then be able to play.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What condition is your game disc in? Are there any notable scratches?
One of my games would copy to hdd using CleanRip up until it hit a scratch towards the outer edge.
Instead of getting a disc read error, it would just end there and say it was successful.
That's the only other possibility I can think of.
Doesn't seem to fit though, if the rip that you got from elsewhere is truly 1:1,
you should be able to successfully verify using your disc and then be able to play.
I had already tried this method as well. Not with just this game, but Wave Race: Blue Storm too and it worked for that. I did find that when I boot the Paper Mario using the Gamecube backwards compatibility that I get a message saying that an error occured and I need to refer to my Gamecube manual. The game conditions seems ok, I've ripped other games that was worst. My Sonic Heroes for an example was half burnt and still worked after I d'led a 1:1 iso

Godnnelg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm yet another person having problems verifying my Gamecube discs... Eager to be one day play F-Zero GX on my Wii U with HDMI, I bought a copy on Amazon... along with Animal Crossing..

My Wii has a Wiikey soldered in there..
Region Free is off however..
I have all the newest IOSes installed by Pimp My Wii..

I used Clean Rip to back up my Gamecube games, including two prior ones I had before: Super Smash Melee and LoZ collection.
Clean Ripped put them onto my 32 gig SD card for me... as such I have the ISOs in a Games folder on my SD card.

Disc for F-Zero GX goes in, drive blinks around 5-6 times.. then tries to load... but doesn't quite get there.. seems to almost verify..
Eventually after a few seconds disc gets spit back out, drive blinks twice...
As such, none of them will verify! I know for a fact that at least Melee and LoZ are legit, yet they have problems..
My games all work fine otherwise - I've not seen any disc read problems... So I'm not sure what the reason is for authentication not working.

I'm not using a forwarder... Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Please help! I welcome any advice!

Lagarton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi! I will quote Godnnelg and say that I'm yet another person having problems verifying my Gamecube discs.
But my problem is that when I put the original game disc that Devolution asks me after the two flashes, absolutely nothing happens. The Wii doesn't make any kind of signal, the disc is not spitted out neither the drive makes any other flash, and, of course, the game never starts. I let the Wii in that state up to 20 minutes more or less to see if I could get any response from the console, but nothing happened.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening? I tried with Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Power Tennis. All of them were ripped with CleanRip.

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally figured out why I couldn't use devolution with usb loader gx. Apparently you have to load usb loader gx through the homebrew channel in order for devolution to work on it. I always loaded usb loader gx with it's forwarder channel on the Wii main menu screen. Doing it that way, I got nothing but a black screen when I tried loading devolution. I wish I had found this out sooner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...