Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Hunter X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering WiiFlow supports game names more than 64 characters (or did?), I think this is a good idea. For example, odd people who have formatted their drives to, say, HPFS, can still use Devo from USB.

Speaking of Devo loading from USB...did you borrow code from Dios Mios?
I think you mean HFS/HFS+? And no, we aren't odd, we just like HFS.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Regarding the virtual memory card thing does it support the .raw files that Dolphin uses for the memory card files or is it different? If it does that would actually be useful to me but it's not something that I need (simply a time saver for a certain save-protected game).

Also, is the AP Wii-specific? I don't have a broken disc drive myself but I wouldn't want to dump/verify all my games on a friend's Wii only for it to not work on mine.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Also, is the AP Wii-specific? I don't have a broken disc drive myself but I wouldn't want to dump/verify all my games on a friend's Wii only for it to not work on mine.
It would appear so, as attempts to relocate the authentication file have resulted in a need for re-authentication.

SugarSnack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Regarding the virtual memory card thing does it support the .raw files that Dolphin uses for the memory card files or is it different? If it does that would actually be useful to me but it's not something that I need (simply a time saver for a certain save-protected game).
It took me a little while to figure this out earlier but you can rename the memcard.bin file to memcard.raw and it will work fine with the Dolphin memory card manager. Then just rename it back to memcard.bin before using it with Devolution.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was under the impression that the authentication file was on the SD card or the USB device. Am I wrong? :/

Edit:
It took me a little while to figure this out earlier but you can rename the memcard.bin file to memcard.raw and it will work fine with the Dolphin memory card manager. Then just rename it back to memcard.bin before using it with Devolution.
Interesting... I would need to try if I can simply take a .raw file and change it to .bin to see if it works. If it does... heh heh...

SugarSnack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting... I would need to try if I can simply take a .raw file and change it to .bin to see if it works. If it does... heh heh...
tueidj said on the first page that it uses the same virtual memory card format as Dolphin so I imagine we can take any .raw files we like and rename them to .bin :yay:

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would appear so, as attempts to relocate the authentication file have resulted in a need for re-authentication.

It's storage device specific as well. Unless my memory fails me, I tried moving one of the DVV files and then back, and it made me reauthenticate to create a new DVV file.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yea seen that, so here we go, wiiflow r581:
http://www.mediafire...va962tci3cqc11u
In this rev you can select per game if you want to use its memory card emulator or not :)
Related: japanese games require a memory card that is formatted as SJIS (aka fancy characters) so you might want to add some code to use a different memcard file for specific games.
(It's great that I can be lazy and just palm this work off onto someone else - I didn't even have to bother supporting long filenames in my FAT code.)

Something I'm considering for the future is the ability to pass the .iso, memcard and .dvv file via their starting sector index instead of their starting cluster index. This would allow the engine to work with any filesystem as long as the files are not fragmented. Does this sound like a good idea or is it too difficult for the loaders to get that information?
Cool idea. Just run a defrag and you're good. The only problem I see is that Devolution would actually have to create the DVV file itself and it could only do that on FAT ... unless you had a computer app do the the verification and take advantage of the OS's file system support ... or ... something ... the DVV could always be stored in a separate FAT partition, too.
Anyway, you're the expert, not me.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, quick question, which loaders officially support Devolution and DIOS MIOS Lite together, since I have an 8GB Sandisk Drive and 8GB SDHC Card, and what partition type of partition and allocation size would be best to format the Sandisk Stick Drive in? Movies are pretty skippy on Super Mario Sunshine, I'm assuming that's the speed of my USB stick so maybe formatting a certain way would help a bit.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So, quick question, which loaders officially support Devolution and DIOS MIOS Lite together, since I have an 8GB Sandisk Drive and 8GB SDHC Card, and what partition type of partition and allocation size would be best to format the Sandisk Stick Drive in? Movies are pretty skippy on Super Mario Sunshine, I'm assuming that's the speed of my USB stick so maybe formatting a certain way would help a bit.
I think Wiiflow and CFG have it. PostLoader and GX are working on it but only PostLoader has released a test of those. I'd say 32k clusters for the USB and 64k for the SD. I don't think Devolution has any cluster size restrictions but those would be the recommended for DM(L) and neek and I think most other homebrew would work fine with it, too.

Reactions: 1 person

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Wiiflow and CFG have it. PostLoader and GX are working on it but only PostLoader has released a test of those. I'd say 32k clusters for the USB and 64k for the SD. I don't think Devolution has any cluster size restrictions but those would be the recommended for DM(L) and neek and I think most other homebrew would work fine with it, too.

Alrighty, thanks!

On another note, I went to the XDA-Developer's Xperia Play forum and posted about this because of the upcoming "GBA Connection by Emulator" feature. I'm going to see if I can get a developer to look into adding JoyBus by IP to a GBA emulator such as Gameboid or something so Android users can use their devices as GBA's for the Wii. I might need to mention this on XDA's overall Android Development forum though for a bigger and more attentive audience.

Reactions: 2 people
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SO EXCITED!!! So can this work for the Rvl-101 Model wii? The new one, that does not support gamecube? I haven't read the whole thing cause im sooo excited!!

You'll have to wait until Classic Controller is implemented in Devolution.
Im pretty sure you can plug in a GC wire in there. According to a GBAtemp Thread

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
SO EXCITED!!! So can this work for the Rvl-101 Model wii? The new one, that does not support gamecube? I haven't read the whole thing cause im sooo excited!!

Im pretty sure you can plug in a GC wire in there. According to a GBAtemp Thread
I think you have to pull some parts out of an older rvl-001 model and solder them in for that to work, though.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone seen a read error that says

Code:
An error has occurred.
turn the power off and refer to the
Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet
for further instructions.

I'd probably need a USB gecko to find out more, just wondering if anyone got it. Got this right after the disc verification for Mario Party 6. The disc light is solid and just this black screen with the above text. It resets back to HBC with the power button press.

On second try, I launch the game from the loader, the disc drive flashes twice fast, then the error pops up and the light goes solid at the same time.

Devolution (or at least i suspect devolution) corrupted my drive

2hgJV.png
Happens to me too...try using chkdsk /f Drveletter:

That didn't work for me when my SD card got corrupted, though.
okay, hope this cannot happen to someone's hdd....

hope all you want. It happened to me, and aparently to Anon

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States

I think you have to pull some parts out of an older rvl-001 model and solder them in for that to work, though.

In other words finding one dead cheap enough to warrant the effort. Used wiis already working are so numerous that might be a difficult call.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
In other words finding one dead cheap enough to warrant the effort. Used wiis already working are so numerous that might be a difficult call.
Another point is that if you're DRIVE isn't one that can accept GC disks, you might be out of luck with the verification process. some new one's will just spit them out, others will still accept them. In that case you'd still have to wait for a later version to see IF he really has thought of a good alternate way to verify retail disks.

Choose wisely ;)

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean I can't get the ISO "elsewhere" and use my retail disc to verify it? I have my original discs, but some of them are too scratched up to make 1:1 dumps. I don't have many GC games anymore anyway, so it doesn't matter that much, but I'm just curious.

if its a 1:1 dump you "obtained" it should varify with your disc.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was disc-specific.

if its a 1:1 iso of your disc, why wouldn't it work? discs don't have serial numbers :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.