Hacking Devolution - Public Release

gumandpok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what would happen if someone made available a copy of their memcard.bin file that had a huge number of verified GC games on it or is the file somehow specific to each wii console?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He mentioned that it has to be verified on the Wii. Which is not much of a hassle but for some ㅠㅡㅠ.
Considering verification currently only works on a per-console and per-harddrive basis, I think what such a statement would mean that Devolution currently only works via verification on a Wii console as of this point in time.

SuperToxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ISO file size is wrong, it's not a clean rip.
Really late response to this (would have come earlier but GBATemp was down, so I forgot) but the ISO does appear to be the correct size. No compression on the Gamecube game and another rip provides the exact same filesize. I'm still getting the 5 blink and reset on my EP1&2, so does anybody else have any ideas?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No modchip, right? Those can mess with Devolution. Also consider doing a manual hash check of the ISO to see if it truly is clean or not.

Also, like I stated previously:
Since it's PSO, you may have luck posting in this thread:
http://l33tserv.forum-nation.com/t342-wii-support

tueidj seems to be MUCH more active on that forum than here; my guess is that he himself is an active PSO player and was his main motivation for creating Devolution in the first place.

SuperToxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No modchip, right? Those can mess with Devolution. Also consider doing a manual hash check of the ISO to see if it truly is clean or not.

Also, like I stated previously:
Nope, no modchip at all. Devolution worked on MGS:TS too, so its not a general Devolution problem on my console either. I made a post on that forum you suggested, so hopefully I get an answer. Thanks!

SuperToxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an answer, turns out I just needed to use CleanRip instead of the default USB Loader GX backup tool
The games run great from the sample loader but just blackscreen me when loading through GX. I guess I'll have to live with it for the enhanced performance :\

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use ISOs dumped from CleanRip in USB Loader GX... in fact it's what I did for Midway Arcade Treasures 3.

Speaking of enhanced performance, are you saying that PSO via Devolution actually exhibits smoother and/or faster performance than on the GameCube, in a manner similar to Rush 2049 in Midway Arcade Treasures 3?

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can use the USBLoaderGX Rip tool for most of the games. i only found one game to not work with it (PK Out of Shadows)
Also, you can use USBLoader to play Devolution as it supports it flawlessy. But you need to start it from Homebrew Channel as the forwarder channel breaks Devo support. You can set up the main gamecube path in devolution so you can use cleanrip folders for devolution.

just make sure you launch USBLoaderGX from teh homebrew channel and you should be fine^^

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you need to start it from Homebrew Channel as the forwarder channel breaks Devo support.
Not true. If you use a newer version of the forwarder that enables AHBPROT, you'll be fine - again, it's what I use on my own Wii. It's the actual stand-alone channel install that will make Devolution not work.

SuperToxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the USBLoaderGX Rip tool for most of the games. i only found one game to not work with it (PK Out of Shadows)
Also, you can use USBLoader to play Devolution as it supports it flawlessy. But you need to start it from Homebrew Channel as the forwarder channel breaks Devo support. You can set up the main gamecube path in devolution so you can use cleanrip folders for devolution.

just make sure you launch USBLoaderGX from teh homebrew channel and you should be fine^^
Oh! Thats probably whats breaking it then. I'm loading USB Loader GX via Priiloader since everything I actually want to do is loadable from there. I guess I need a AHBPROT forwarder for priiloader now
EDIT: It works! You guys are awesome! I think AHBPROT requirements on GX to make Devolution should be more documented if possible though, but honestly I guess my situation wasnt very common. Thanks all!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Not true. If you use a newer version of the forwarder that enables AHBPROT, you'll be fine - again, it's what I use on my own Wii. It's the actual stand-alone channel install that will make Devolution not work.
That's interesting. It seams like there SHOULD be some way to have a standalone channel have AHBPROT patched. I'll have to look into that. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both the forwarder and the full channel have the tmd edited to disable the protection (they have AHBPROT Access rights).
The standalone channel's internal loader has not been updated to support latest changes for devolution, that's why it doesn't work. It has nothing to do with the channel itself, but the loader's revision.

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users