WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Is there any way to check what version number of a specific IOS you have installed?

I've looked at a version of AnyTitleDeleter and as far as I could see it didn't give specific version info.

Cheers

Wired

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks carbonyle - that worked a treat.

I've got two modded Wii's - one of which will load a particular title with no issues and the other reports an 002 error. I'm therefore assuming that the Wii which won't load the game possibly has an outdated IOS and hence the game won't launch.

I've taken the version numbers from the CSV and i've found a few of them which are lower than the version specified in the update.inf file which I extracted from the ISO using WiiScrubber. The affected ISO's are: 11, 13, 15, 20 and 22.

What I don't understand is what versions of file the various cIOS installers provide. There seems to be multiple revisions of the same cIOS - do these just provide the same IOS with different patches applied or do they give totally different IOS's?

I'm trying to identify what I would need to install to get my IOS's up to the correct version AND in a patched state.

Any clues anyone can give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wired

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sorted it.

I downloaded cIOSCORP v3.2 and extracted it to my local drive. I could see from the WAD filenames that it had versions of all my affected IOS's and each had a higher version number than those required by the game i'm trying to us.

I installed it and it's working fine now.

I think part the confusion is all of the different names that are flying around. Also on my SD Card i've got CIOSv9 Installer and CIOS8_Rev14 Installer. I'm guessing these are additional components which need to be installed on top of cIOSCORP 3.2.

Just as a final question - is v3.2 the most recent version? Or to put it another way - if there is a more recent version is it worth applying?

Cheers

Wired

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
3.2 is the latest version atm. Da letter a posts the updates here
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiredWorm said:
Thanks carbonyle - that worked a treat.

I've got two modded Wii's - one of which will load a particular title with no issues and the other reports an 002 error. I'm therefore assuming that the Wii which won't load the game possibly has an outdated IOS and hence the game won't launch.

I've taken the version numbers from the CSV and i've found a few of them which are lower than the version specified in the update.inf file which I extracted from the ISO using WiiScrubber. The affected ISO's are: 11, 13, 15, 20 and 22.

What I don't understand is what versions of file the various cIOS installers provide. There seems to be multiple revisions of the same cIOS - do these just provide the same IOS with different patches applied or do they give totally different IOS's?

I'm trying to identify what I would need to install to get my IOS's up to the correct version AND in a patched state.

Any clues anyone can give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wired

cIOS's always generally install over IOS249 and have nothing to do with any of the official IOS's on your system in particular. Different revisions are based off of different base IOS's though. Really old ones from Waninkoko were based off of IOS37, more recent ones than that were off of IOS36, and the last couple of revisions are based off of IOS38. Whichever one you installed last will be the only one you have and will just write over any previous cIOS revision in IOS249. It doesn't really matter which one you use, but it would be better to have some relatively up to date stable one such as rev10, rev13a, or rev14.

Normal official IOS's don't really need to be patched aside from like IOS60 on 4.0/4.1 so you can play vc wad's from the sd card menu, and maybe IOS36 with the trucha bug and ES_Identify so you can install preloader. You can use dop-IOS v7 to run through all of your IOS's and check if there is a more recent version than it out and have it install the newer version of it as well. You can also use it to patch the trucha bug into any of these IOS's after updating them, but it isn't really necessary outside of IOS60, and IOS36 with the ES_Identify patch as well. Also don't bother updating IOS's that will update to stub IOS's like IOS 30/50/51 and such (ESPECIALLY if you aren't on 4.0/4.1 already.) You also may want to skip updating the IOS that the HBC is running off of to be safe or at least save it until after you update the others and see if it fixed anything. It may make the HBC stop working and you would have to reinstall it, but I'm not positive on that.

Also what are you loading the games through to get the 002 error? Do you have a modchip in them and are running them through the disc channel or are you using CIOSCORP or something? (If you have CIOSCORP don't do the above).

Edit: Ok so you're using CIOSCORP now. Just to explain what it is, CIOSCORP isn't anything official. Someone basically just took every official IOS on the system and modified it with the dip module from different cIOS revisions and has you install them over every normal IOS on your system. I believe this recent CIOSCORP made the version numbers of all of the IOS's maxed out to make sure it works on boot2v4 Wii's. As a result an official update will not remove CIOSCORP as before and so the only way to remove it is to physically install normal IOS's over every one of them. The only purpose of CIOSCORP is to be able to launch backup games from the disc channel without needing a mod chip. It isn't something necessary to update to by any means and having the most up to date official IOS's and a recent cIOS revision (such as that rev14 installer you have) should be enough to play most games through good backup loaders like NeoGamma R7 or most USB loaders.

The most important thing to know with CIOSCORP is to NEVER UNINSTALL ANY OF IT'S WAD FILES. If you want to get rid of it you install normal IOS's OVER all of your IOS's.

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was getting the 002 error when using the usual disc menu - but only on specific games.

I downloaded a SoftMii package which was meant to be easier to install than previous methods i've used and as part of the process it installed cIOSCORP, but from what I can make it it didn't provide the necessary updates to IOS numbers 11, 13, 15, 20 and 22. This naturally meant that some games worked whilst others didn't.

To be honest this 'easy' method was actually a total pain in the backside and just made things more confusing - needless to say i'll be doing it the way I did previously in the future.

So that I understand - you don't absolutely need cIOSCorp because it's possible to install a modified IOS at another location (such as 249) and have the backup launches (either channel or via HBC) have it forced to use this IOS.

However, using cIOSCorp replaces the normal Nintendo IOS with modified/tweaked versions which means that when these are called by the normal disc channel it allows the game to launch. I'm guessing this is also the reason why you wouldn't use Dop-IOS on a system with cIOSCorp - because you'd effectively be replacing the tweaked IOS with an original Nintendo version. Could you use Dop-IOS to restore your Wii back to the state it was in prior to having any mod applied though?

Sorry if it seems i'm going around the houses a little but i'm keen to learn how this stuff all hangs together - I think i'm slowly getting there.

P.S. I'm going to leave the Backup Launcher Channel on this Wii - i'm guessing it could be handy in the future for any games which are released which can't be launched via the normal disk channel.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes I believe dop-IOS should be able to get rid of CIOSCORP. I never really thought of softmii as an easy package to follow at any point in time, and this 3.2 version of CIOSCORP was released recently so all of the IOS's it installed are more recent than those of softmii's CIOSCORP.

Also that modified IOS at IOS249 (Waninkoko's cIOS) is necessary regardless to be able to install any of CIOSCORP's wad's to begin with (I think). Generally by convention, when using wad manager to install any vc wads and such, you would use IOS249 to do so.

Also there are different backup launchers, not just one. If the one you have installed is the gamma 0.3 launcher, it is kinda outdated now and will probably give the 002 error with most new games anyways. If you want a better launcher, you could use wad manager 1.4 to install a wad of NeoGamma R6 using IOS249 as said before (googling neogamma autoboot channel should come up with the thread with that)

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Wiish Backup Launcher Channel on the system. It seems to work well - tomorrow i'm going to run through a few of the backups i've got to see if there are any still with issues - if so then I can open up the .inf file and see what i'm missing.

One thing I know i'll hit an issue with is MadWorld. That seems to reference a file called BOOT2-64-v2.wad and I have no idea what that is - it's obviously not an IOS based on the filename.

To be honest for the sake a few titles i'm not that bothered - because i'm 98% sure that these titles can just run through the backup launcher.

In some respects i'm now thinking about overwriting cIOSCORP with the proper IOS files and then just using the backup launcher all the time. This particular Wii is going back to a friend who isn't all that techinically literate so it would probably be much easier to just tell them to use the Launcher all the time.

Thanks for all the help so far. Gradually beginning to understand some of this stuff.

Edit: NeoGamma looks quite nice as it allows you to launch code from devices other than just the DVD. Might be tempted to change to that.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiredWorm said:
I'm using Wiish Backup Launcher Channel on the system. It seems to work well - tomorrow i'm going to run through a few of the backups i've got to see if there are any still with issues - if so then I can open up the .inf file and see what i'm missing.

One thing I know i'll hit an issue with is MadWorld. That seems to reference a file called BOOT2-64-v2.wad and I have no idea what that is - it's obviously not an IOS based on the filename.

To be honest for the sake a few titles i'm not that bothered - because i'm 98% sure that these titles can just run through the backup launcher.

In some respects i'm now thinking about overwriting cIOSCORP with the proper IOS files and then just using the backup launcher all the time. This particular Wii is going back to a friend who isn't all that techinically literate so it would probably be much easier to just tell them to use the Launcher all the time.

Thanks for all the help so far. Gradually beginning to understand some of this stuff.

Edit: NeoGamma looks quite nice as it allows you to launch code from devices other than just the DVD. Might be tempted to change to that.

Yea NeoGamma is also a USB loader on top of being a disc based loader, but if you want to use a usb loader, there are a couple better looking ones like USB Loader GX or Beardface's Coverfloader.

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying USB Loader GX at the moment.

Having problems getting SMG to run on it - just goes to a black screen when I try to launch. From what I can see online it seems to be a common issue - and the general concensus is that I need to apply cIOS revision 13a to my system to get that particular title to run. Finding a copy of 13a however is proving a lot more tricky.

Just going to experiment with a few other titles to see if they run ok.

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, since applying 13a none of my USB Loader Applications work - all say they can't initialise the USB SubSystem.

Is there some other updates I need to reapply now? If so can anyone let me know which updates are required.

Thanks

Wired

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiredWorm said:
Hmmm, since applying 13a none of my USB Loader Applications work - all say they can't initialise the USB SubSystem.

Is there some other updates I need to reapply now? If so can anyone let me know which updates are required.

Thanks

Wired

Make sure the drive is plugged into the usb port that is closer to the edge of the Wii, not the one in the middle. Yes it matters for more recent cIOS revisions.

WiredWorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Nabster - that was precisely what the problem was.

Works fine now - although SMG still won't boot - just a black screen. I'm more curious as to why now than anything - i'm not sure I can be bothered to keep researching the issue though for the sake of one game. All the others i've tried work fine.

hankarlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Excellent thread, very preciss info Nabster, just have 1 quick question for you, what is the ES_Identify patch?

Cheers & thanx for the knowledge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh