Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
190.jpg

Not only is the Xbox 360 S obviously physically smaller than the original Xbox 360 model, it also boasts a new combined graphics and processor chip that allows the redesigned system to run more silently, consume less power, and should also make it less prone to hardware malfunctions.

VentureBeat has a full break down of this new "Vejle" chip (named after a city in Denmark, for whatever reason), with its combination of CPU and GPU on the same chip being the key to its boost in performance. Rather than have a separate chip for each function (as all past Xbox 360 models had), the combined chip makes the systems cheaper to produce, as well as significantly less power hungry -- the Xbox 360 S uses a whopping 60 percent less power compared to a launch 360 from 2005.

And the benefit isn't just a small save in your power bill, as the smaller, quieter chip should also -- in theory -- have eliminated the dreaded "Red Ring of Death" malfunction once and for all. The cause of the RROD was that the graphics chip in earlier Xbox 360 models would eventually run so hot that they would warp the system board. But with the new combined chip, Microsoft says that even in hot conditions the new 360's fan doesn't have to top 55 percent of its capability.

The smaller chip (it uses 50 percent less space than the two chips needed in original 360 models) is also what allowed Microsoft to add in extra features like built-in 802.11N Wi-Fi.

VentureBeat's full story has many more details on just what it took for Microsoft and IBM to actually manufacture the chip, along with a lot of diagrams of the new chip itself. So if you're a tech-head interested in that kind of stuff, be sure to check it out. [/p]

icon11.gif
Source

So to all you Microsoft (not "Microshit" or "M$") haters out there, here ya go. No more RRoD, apparently.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Always thought that the 360 needed an entire motherboard redesign, and it seems they've finally did it.

I'll get one when they get REALLY cheap.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JetKun said:
purplesludge said:
QUOTE said:
So to all you Microsoft (not "Microshit" or "M$") haters out there, here ya go. No more RRoD, apparently.
Fanboys will be fanboys.
No more RRoD?

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/24/...hows-red-brick/

God, this 360 Slam is even worse than we thought.

Hardware failure on the system is indicated by a red dot in the center of the system itself, not the power brick. To me it sounds like he got a faulty power brick.

D

Deleted User

Well, as much as I'd like to agree with you Guild, I think the real problem that bugs people is the sort of thought that, (consider the iPhone Antenna problem), "Oh, it won't be *too* much of a problem; that is, releasing something knowing it has fundamental defects.

The fact that Microsoft had to redesign both the CPU and GPU for the console entirely is tantamount to how much of a problem the RRoD was in hurting their reputation. Theoretically, the RRoD may be fixed in the Slim, but at the same time Microsoft wouldn't put development funds into a new 360 if they weren't confident that people would buy it.

Why would anyone want to replace an original 360 o.O...? Matter of fact is that the terms MicroShit and M$ are due to Microsoft's inability to fix the RRoD w/o re-designing the entire console. I mean, surely, the new Slim is more preventative of "RRoD" scenario's, but it's also the most profitable regardless.

D

Deleted_171835

Delta517 said:
Why does it say Kinect Ready in the bottom left corner?
unsure.gif
It has a custom USB port for the Kinect sensor.
Not really "Kinect Ready" if you ask me.

D

Deleted_171835

Jamstruth said:
JetKun said:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/24/...hows-red-brick/

God, this 360 Slam is even worse than we thought.
Doesn't a 360S not have a power brick?

The 360 Slim still has a power brick. Just shorter and lighter.
[title:One on left is 360 Slim Power Brick]
comp5.jpg

--
Delta517 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
QUOTE(Delta517 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:51 PM)
unsure.gif

So just a extra USB port?
wtf.gif
Yep.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
*sigh* I hate people like this.
360 = First ever HD console. Yeah it had problems but you get that when being the first ever of something but it wasn't terrible like the first CD based consoles. Guess what? ITS A GOOD CONSOLE! The controller's great on everything apart from the d-pad which nobody uses these days anyway. The newer revision only occasionally die on you. This new revision basically makes all arguments against the console null and void. Its 5 years old now for christ's sake and it still keeps up with the PS3 on terms of graphics, what does that tell you about it?

---

SoulSnatcher said:
Delta517 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Delta517 said:
unsure.gif

wtf.gif
Yep.
Not quite. Its got a custom port so that the Kinect is powered by the console rather than its own adapter, presumably utilising the fact that the new model takes less power.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
*sigh* I hate people like this.
360 = First ever HD console. Yeah it had problems but you get that when being the first ever of something but it wasn't terrible like the first CD based consoles. Guess what? ITS A GOOD CONSOLE! The controller's great on everything apart from the d-pad which nobody uses these days anyway. The newer revision only occasionally die on you. This new revision basically makes all arguments against the console null and void. Its 5 years old now for christ's sake and it still keeps up with the PS3 on terms of graphics, what does that tell you about it?
I hate the controller, it's too fat. I hate the consoles existence, it offends me. It is the worlds first bullshit console. It was invented but Microsoft which is shit in a tin can. PS3 has better graphics, just Look at Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet. The only reason they look the same is because some of the games are on both consoles (War For Cybertron, GTA 4,etc). Basically I hate that twatting console.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Delta517 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Delta517 said:
unsure.gif

wtf.gif
Not really. The Kinect requires 2 cables on an older 360 (USB and AC power). The 360S uses a different port that is capable of powering the Kinect, so the power cable isn't needed.

Also, giratina16, stop trolling.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That is not trolling that is replying to a post and expressing my opinion. Trolling would be if I was saying something to insult the person just so I could start an argument. P.S. I'm not trying to start an argument with this statement I'm just defending myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs