Descent Upscaler For PSX

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by godreborn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    hello. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a recommendation for an upscaler that works with psx games on the ps2. I know that psx games display at 240p, but my television doesn't recognize the video signal. any help would be appreciated. it can be a component input to component output or a component to hdmi converter. I'd prefer the latter if possible. thanks.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The best upscaler is the Framemeister, but it's not cheap. The upside is that it's very low latency and works great with all retro consoles, so if you play a lot of retro games on their original consoles it may be worth it, otherwise probably not...
    It does have component input and HDMI output.
    The cheap ones you can find are pretty crappy by comparison but they should still work (image quality and latency might not be the best though)

godreborn likes this.
  3. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks. someone else recommended the framemeister. is there a particular model I should get or is that the model? I recently bought an upscaler for $50 without reading the resolutions it could upscale. 240p isn't one of them, so I'll have to return it (if I ever receive since I haven't yet). u don't happen to know of a cheaper alternative though? I recently got a new television, and everything works except psx games.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That is the model, otherwise known as XRGB Mini.
    I don't know of any cheaper alternatives. Framemeister is the one everyone talks about, it seems like the only one worth getting for someone who is serious about retro gaming. You could get a PS3 for less and just play your PS1 games on that but I hear the PS1 image quality on it is not great...
    Also supposedly if you use composite (or even S-Video) on the PS2 then the 240p image will display correctly.

godreborn likes this.
  5. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm on a budget at the moment, so I'll have to wait on this. thanks for the guidance.