• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Democrat Senators wants to block Microsoft and Activision Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In what sense would absorbing ActiBlizzard actually make Microsoft a monopoly though? They came in third in the console race last generation, and Valve is far more dominant in the PC gaming space than MS. Additionally, they've pledged to keep ActiBlizzard IPs multi-platform, just as Sony did with Bungie.

It wouldn't hurt for them to at least remove the cancer in Activision first

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't hurt for them to at least remove the cancer in Activision first
Well yeah, the concern here seems to be mostly about workplace culture, but Activision's problems all come from the top down. There's almost zero chance that Microsoft would keep any of the problematic upper-management on staff, as MS would want to fill those positions with their own people. We already know that Bobby Kotick is gone if this merger goes through.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In what sense would absorbing ActiBlizzard actually make Microsoft a monopoly though? They came in third in the console race last generation, and Valve is far more dominant in the PC gaming space than MS. Additionally, they've pledged to keep ActiBlizzard IPs multi-platform, just as Sony did with Bungie.
That's kind of why they would make a monopoly. Microsoft has a long history of buying its way to the top by either buying out every other company or making deals that snuff out competitors. This is literally how they acquired market dominance in the PC market and PC gaming. Buying out a company like Activision would allow them to have market dominance over the FPS market, MMO market, and many others. As well, it would give them power over yet another big publisher and development studio. Even if they pledge to respect the company, it doesn't change the fact that they are trying yet again to make a monopoly.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Buying out a company like Activision would allow them to have market dominance over the FPS market, MMO market, and many others.
I don't see it. CoD isn't the dominant force it once was, F2P shooters have basically taken over that segment of the market (Fortnite, Apex Legends, Valorant). WoW is also losing subscribers at almost the same rate FFXIV is gaining them.

As well, it would give them power over yet another big publisher and development studio. Even if they pledge to respect the company, it doesn't change the fact that they are trying yet again to make a monopoly.
Are they really trying for that though, or are they just trying to make more money via publishing? Both Sony and Microsoft have been on a buying spree lately precisely because the gaming landscape is changing and exclusivity is dying out. 30% of every ActiBlizzard game sold on Playstation would go to Sony, and 30% of every Bungie game sold on Xbox would go to Microsoft.

Also, if we think about ActiBlizzard's prospects in the long term, things are looking quite grim. If Microsoft doesn't buy them now, their value will tank, and it's possible that somebody even worse (EA) buys them out for pennies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see it. CoD isn't the dominant force it once was, F2P shooters have basically taken over that segment of the market (Fortnite, Apex Legends, Valorant). WoW is also losing subscribers at almost the same rate FFXIV is gaining them.

Are they really trying for that though, or are they just trying to make more money via publishing? Both Sony and Microsoft have been on a buying spree lately precisely because the gaming landscape is changing and exclusivity is dying out. 30% of every ActiBlizzard game sold on Playstation would go to Sony, and 30% of every Bungie game sold on Xbox would go to Microsoft.

Also, if we think about ActiBlizzard's prospects in the long term, things are looking quite grim. If Microsoft doesn't buy them now, their value will tank, and it's possible that somebody even worse (EA) buys them out for pennies.
CoD is still one of the best-selling FPS games on the market, even with the current threats from other games. The player base may be increasing for other games but sales are still pretty strong in the terms of units sold. This would also be comparing games being sold vs games downloaded for free. Although I wouldn't doubt if Fortnite was making more in microtransactions compared to CoD, that's kind of getting into the weeds of the point I am trying to get at. FFXIV's success seems kind of more recent compared to the market dominance that has been WoW for over 18 years. FFXIV is defiantly a threat but it's an extremely recent threat to WoW. Highkey though, I am glad to see FFXIV just kind of randomly came back to life. The issue though is how many publishers and developers are being bought out and shrinking the market. Even though there are many small and independent ones out there, the larger publishers that often publish for these teams are shrinking with these buyouts. Even if given independence, the companies owning them are still expanding massively and shrinking the market. Sony buying everything out isn't ok either. This is starting to feel like the Big 3 of cable in the US, the only reason that it's not seen as a monopoly is that there's an illusion of choice.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Microsoft doesn't buy them now, their value will tank, and it's possible that somebody even worse (EA) buys them out for pennies.
If Microsoft is blocked due to monopoly concerns, wouldn't EA lose out on buying them all for the exact same reason? I feel like they would be force to sell to different companies in parts.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
CoD is still one of the best-selling FPS games on the market, even with the current threats from other games. The player base may be increasing for other games but sales are still pretty strong in the terms of units sold. This would also be comparing games being sold vs games downloaded for free. Although I wouldn't doubt if Fortnite was making more in microtransactions compared to CoD, that's kind of getting into the weeds of the point I am trying to get at. FFXIV's success seems kind of more recent compared to the market dominance that has been WoW for over 18 years. FFXIV is defiantly a threat but it's an extremely recent threat to WoW. Highkey though, I am glad to see FFXIV just kind of randomly came back to life.
Well, my point is that just about all of ActiBlizzard's IPs are on a downward trajectory with no chance of recovery if they remain their own entity. They're going to get bought out by somebody for that reason, and I'd much rather it be Microsoft than EA or Epic, who would undoubtedly keep games exclusive to their individual platforms. I also don't believe either of them would properly or fully address the culture of workplace harassment at ActiBlizz.

This is starting to feel like the Big 3 of cable in the US, the only reason that it's not seen as a monopoly is that there's an illusion of choice.
Eh the industry isn't nearly that bad yet. I'd say some consolidation was inevitable within AAA studios as the costs of developing AAA games continue to skyrocket. The indie scene has always and will always be infinitely more diverse, but we're still not anywhere close to Coke versus Pepsi. Capcom, FromSoft, Valve, Respawn, Rocksteady, Larian, Techland, Rockstar, CDPR, Firaxis, Kojima Productions, Remedy, Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo...just a few of the studios I can name off the top of my head that aren't going anywhere any time soon.

If Microsoft is blocked due to monopoly concerns, wouldn't EA lose out on buying them all for the exact same reason? I feel like they would be force to sell to different companies in parts.
Depends on whether EA is determined to have just as large a market share as Microsoft or not. I think they could successfully argue that they are not that big. After all, they don't own a third of the console market.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my point is that just about all of ActiBlizzard's IPs are on a downward trajectory with no chance of recovery if they remain their own entity. They're going to get bought out by somebody for that reason, and I'd much rather it be Microsoft than EA or Epic, who would undoubtedly keep games exclusive to their individual platforms. I also don't believe either of them would properly or fully address the culture of workplace harassment at ActiBlizz.

Eh the industry isn't nearly that bad yet. I'd say some consolidation was inevitable within AAA studios as the costs of developing AAA games continue to skyrocket. The indie scene has always and will always be infinitely more diverse, but we're still not anywhere close to Coke versus Pepsi. Capcom, FromSoft, Valve, Respawn, Rocksteady, Larian, Techland, Rockstar, CDPR, Firaxis, Kojima Productions, Remedy, Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo...just a few of the studios I can name off the top of my head that aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Depends on whether EA is determined to have just as large a market share as Microsoft or not. I think they could successfully argue that they are not that big. After all, they don't own a third of the console market.

Do you believe they will make their IP available to all consoles and not Xbox only?

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah they've already stated as much. I believe them because that has indeed been their strategy for the last several years now, and stuff like CoD will always make more money as a multi-platform IP.

Indeed, the gaming landscape is a lot different than what it used to be.

Even Sony themselves are tipping their toes now allowing their PlayStation Studios' MLB The Show to be released on other platforms (Switch and Xbox).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, the gaming landscape is a lot different than what it used to be.

Even Sony themselves are tipping their toes now allowing their PlayStation Studios' MLB The Show to be released on other platforms (Switch and Xbox).
Not to mention porting a bunch of their games to PC. Sony's down to basically just Spider-Man as a true exclusive.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you believe they will make their IP available to all consoles and not Xbox only?
Don't forget that Microsoft bought Bethesda, and has already promised that future Bethesda games will continue to be multi-platform.

Microsoft bought Mojang, and last time I checked, Minecraft for Switch and PS5 exists. (Okay, to be 100% honest, I don't have a PS5 and so never looked into the library. Still, Minecraft is on nearly as many systems as Skyrim and DOOM.)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think they (or at least Warren) are doing the right thing, but for the wrong reason.

As stated everywhere, the atmosphere in Activision needs to go. But that's a problem in and of itself. If the merge really breaks antitrust laws - and while perhaps not as clear as other cases, i still believe it's very good its getting scrutinized - that simply isn't an excuse.

Heck... It could even lead to some perverse effects (A and B want to merge but it would form a Monopoly, so "the left" would block it. But if A then adopts some sexual harassment and /or other bad work environment place reputation, they can sell it as '... But after the merge, B will ensure these issues get fixed, so it's good for everyone').

Also... Is it me, or are the rightwing gbatempers being extra stupid here?
If these were unknown people rather than Warren or Sanders, these clowns would have no idea what their opinion on the matter should be, but thanks to fox droning them into "Warren=Sanders=bad", they just parrot stupid personal insults instead of, y'know, have an actual opinion on the news.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If these were unknown people rather than Warren or Sanders, these clowns would have no idea what their opinion on the matter should be, but thanks to fox droning them into "Warren=Sanders=bad", they just parrot stupid personal insults instead of, y'know, have an actual opinion on the news.
Not as dumb as the infinite stupidity from the gbatemp leftwingers present on a daily basis, if you wanna go there. I wouldn't have said anything, but of course, someone always has to start unnecessary shit.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not as dumb as the infinite stupidity from the gbatemp leftwingers present on a daily basis, if you wanna go there. I wouldn't have said anything, but of course, someone always has to start unnecessary shit.
Yup. Thanks for further illustrating my point. That's the sort of stuff i was talking about. :)

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I remembered Kotick or someone remaining but I guess he's expected to stepdown. Most of me really doesn't care about the big names as long as the employees don't have to deal with more bull.

Oh, boy it's the Native Indian. Oh wait, she's actually European. lol
I mean this has very little to do with the actual topic besides parroting the One Thing about One Person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...