Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thats benchmark is for maximum write transfer

what counts for game loading is maximum read transfer

and those benchmarks dont show game preformance

if you go here http://storagereview.com/ you can do head to head tests with hard drives in games like

world of warcraft
the sims 2
and Farcry

and in all of them the 7200 rpm loads the game faster by SECONDS not miliseconds

HAHAHAHAHAH I WIN I WIN !

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All of storage review's 5400 RPM HDs are ATA, and may not be 2.5" form factor. That being said, there weren't many 7200 HDs in Tom's guide, either.

If you need to know if something is better, look it up. Don't be a mindless monkey and just assume something is better just because it has a bigger number.

Regardless, fighting over HDD RPMs is futile because you typically don't have much of a choice on what goes in your name-brand PC, let alone a laptop.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well the difference in cost for the HP custom model I'm choosing is $75 between the 7200 and the 5200RPM hard drives. The make of the drive is not listed so I only have the RPM speed to go off.

Cletebob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure you have plenty of RAM and the HDD speed is not all that important. One may be faster than the other, and it may not, but if you have plenty of RAM, more can be loaded and run from the RAM and the HDD is used less.

In games, the slowdown many times comes from accessing the HDD when the pagefile has to be used because there isn't enough RAM to load the needed data. A slightly longer load time from the HDD at the beginning of the game is alot easier to deal with than constant slowdowns during the game in my opinion.

Buy the biggest and most reliable HDD and the largest amount of RAM your budget will allow, and you will surely be happy in the long run.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Just make sure you have plenty of RAM and the HDD speed is not all that important. One may be faster than the other, and it may not, but if you have plenty of RAM, more can be loaded and run from the RAM and the HDD is used less.

In games, the slowdown many times comes from accessing the HDD when the pagefile has to be used because there isn't enough RAM to load the needed data. A slightly longer load time from the HDD at the beginning of the game is alot easier to deal with than constant slowdowns during the game in my opinion.

Buy the biggest and most reliable HDD and the largest amount of RAM your budget will allow, and you will surely be happy in the long run.

RAM helps but RAM is no HDD Replacement. You need basically the best of both, 2GB of RAM and 7.2k RPM Drive. And More RAM isn't always necessary or better. Like the difference from 2GB --> 8GB would not be noticeable unless you do a lot of photo editing and stuff.

Cletebob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right to a degree, but since he said he will mainly be using it for recent games with intense graphics, having plenty of good RAM (between 2 and 4 GB) will help every bit as much for GAMES as a faster HDD. As I said, the load times may vary a bit depending on which HDD and speed he chooses, but having at least 2 GB of RAM will make more difference when it comes to the actual performance of the games than the HDD, which will only affect initial loading times.

This is of course as long as his video card and CPU don't bottleneck the games he's running.
wink2.gif

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RAM helps but RAM is no HDD Replacement. You need basically the best of both, 2GB of RAM and 7.2k RPM Drive. And More RAM isn't always necessary or better. Like the difference from 2GB --> 8GB would not be noticeable unless you do a lot of photo editing and stuff.

Actually..... http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/07/can_gigabyte/

When I had 512mb of ram, Half-Life 2 took up to 3 minutes to load. Usually under 40 seconds with my 2GB (on that PC)

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Actually..... http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/07/can_gigabyte/

When I had 512mb of ram, Half-Life 2 took up to 3 minutes to load. Usually under 40 seconds with my 2GB (on that PC)

Like I said, RAM helps, But an HDD Upgrade is also necessary.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And like I'm saying, if you have a small amount of RAM increasing it will increase performance more than a HDD upgrade.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, if you're debating 5400 and 7200 RPM speeds having no significant access time differences in today's boxes then you seriously need to do some research. especially when working with large files (such as in video editing, encoding, decoding, converting etc.)

R-Unit 4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
5400 drives load games from June on slowly...but anything before that, no difference can be made...maybe a couple of millseconds to seconds but not that much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY