Computer Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by VinLark, Oct 30, 2016.

1. VinLark
    OP

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Alright, so I have been dealing with an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card for 6-7 years now and I think it's time for a upgrade. I know some things about computer hardware but I don't know about what graphics card would work with my power supply or whatever. I am looking for something affordable and something that will just allow me play kinda current games. If I could just replace my graphics card and maybe put some more RAM that would be great. I have posted my full specs below. Thanks.

My PC Specs by Speccy

2. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    How much are you willing to spend? And can you wait until January?

3. VinLark
    OP

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    200-500. And yeah I can wait until January

4. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Well, for that price range, I'd recommend the nvidia GTX 1060 or the 1070. AMD's RX 480 is the competitor, but I'm not sure which would be better for your situation.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-480-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060

I said the january thing because the 1080ti is coming out then, and will be the latest and greatest...but it's going to be probably closer to the 800 range i'm guessing :P

Last edited by osaka35, Oct 30, 2016
    TheVinAnator likes this.
  5. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Your rig is seriously below average for 2016.
    Get something like this-
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pntyxY
    Use the other parts from your previous builds.
    Want more graphics oomph? Get the RX470 or GTX 1060 3GB instead.
    If you can wait, the AMD Zen cpus could be a possible choice, but we're not sure how good they'll be.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

With an AMD Sempron 140? You gotta be kidding! Serious bottlenecks!

osaka35 and VinLark like this.
  6. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Yeah, I didn't even look at the specs, just giving "this is the current video card scene" advice. Yeesh those specs.

After looking at your specs, your best bet is probably to get a nice motherboard, CPU, motherboard, HDD, monitor, and power supply upgrade. Or mostly a new computer :P You're on an am2 motherboard, and am3+ is on its last leg. Your video card isn't holding you back, and if you put a quality one in there, it's going to run not much faster than what you've got now. I've got some great cheap options for you though, if you'd like =]

Last edited by osaka35, Oct 30, 2016
    VinLark likes this.
  7. VinLark
    OP

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sure, I would like to explore all my options.

8. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    For the graphics card, go with the GTX 1060. For the CPU, go for the i5 6400. I got these and I'm running games like GTA 5 at 60fps no problem.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  9. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    -AMD for bang/buck
    -Intel for modern and speed

If you can wait until AMD releases their new AM4 stuff, that's the best way to go (they'll be releasing around february 2017). Personally, I'd save up money until february, then buy all new parts. Use your current one as a media hub or something =]. If you can't wait, I can help with good picks for a current build.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    if you look around in flea markets and stuff you can sometimes get something a bit more modern (nothing amazing but better than you have) for pretty cheap, i had a friend asking me to find him something basic and cheap, managed to get a i7 860 with motherboard and 4gb ddr3 for £3 in a car boot sale, then chucked in a cheap R7 250 and basic 500w power supply threw it in a really crappy old case i had and it does him fine, only cost about £50 in parts but its ok enough basic gaming but for a £50 spare parts PC it performs fairly decent

if you have a friend/relative who is into PC gaming it may be worth asking if they have any spares for you to tide you over till you can save up a bit, if your not a HHDHDHDH 9001 FPS gaming nut you may actually get something that will do you for a good while :P

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 30, 2016
    ILuvGames and VinLark like this.
  11. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    I had to add more lol

If you're even considering the RX 480, go with the GTX 1060. The 1060 out performs it significantly and costs roughly the same. You can probably find a 1060 on eBay for pretty cheap.

VinLark likes this.