Hacking Deleted IOS and cant get HBC to work now

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, thanks for any help that is given or attempted, i appreciate it.

I have searched a good deal, and either im searching with the wrong terms, or no one else has done something this stupid yet.

I have a working wii, with HBC loaded, everything ran great for a month or so, but i got frustrated/curious and started messing with stuff. Thats when the trouble began.

I was attempting to get USB loader to work, and had 3 different drives and a flash drive all that came up with the same (invalid cannot load subsystem) error. After some reading and trial and error, i decided to reinstall the USB loader. I came across a new guide that stated i needed to have the Original IOS36-64-v1042.wad, and to google it. So i did. I found it, downloaded it, and put it onto my SD card. Then went into the wad manager, and tried to install it, but got an error during the unpacking phase that it couldn't be installed. So being the bright individual i am, i decided to click the - sign and uninstall it.

I rebooted my wii, clicked the homebrew channel and..... the wii restarted. Tried again, same result. Crap i thought, now ive done it. So i put in one of my original games, and it still worked fine. Put in the backup copy of that game, and it worked. Ok i thought, np, maybe HBC has been corrupted, ill reinstall the channel. So i deleted the channel, started up twilight, went through the entire twilight hack, it asked me if i wanted to install HBCv9, said yes, it did its thing, said it couldnt find a certain IOS and that it would try to work with ISO16. Restarted the Wii, the HBC channel is there. Clicked HBC and... the wii restarts.

Ok, now i think, well ill try to put HBCv8 on there. Go through the twilight hack, it gets to the install portion of HBC, and says (error, you do not have the correct ISO version to install HBC, needs IOS22) something like that. (writing this all from memory, if needed ill go through it all again and write down the exact errors.)

So now i have a working Wii, i can play backed up games, but HBC doesnt work so i am unable to load any wads, use the homebrew browswer, load any apps. or basically do anything that requires the HBC.

I have searched, googled, thrown stuff, yelled, given up, gotten a 2nd wind and spent about 10 hours trying to get this figured out. Nothing so far has been successful, so i appeal to those who might have more knowledge than me. I WANT MY HOMEBREW CHANNEL BACK. Any info i can provide please let me know. Any help that can be given I really appreciate. Any attempts at help that are unsuccessful i still really appreciate.

Thank you all.

-syzergy

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, first of all, you're not supposed to install the IOS36 Wad, but leave it on your SD Card root. When you load the cIOS Installer it takes that wad and patches it. You didn't have to go into Wad Manager at all.

I suggest you check AnyTitleDeleter (via Twilight Hack) and see if you still have the HBC's HAXX ticket installed. Also, you should also try running Wad Manager the same way and reinstalling IOS36. If you have the latest version of Wad Manager it should work since it runs off of IOS249, which you have since you can play backups.

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome, thank you for the suggestion.

my question is, how do i get into anytitle deleter, or into a wad manager, if i cant get hbc to load? I see you saying via twilight hack, but im not sure how to do that, when i tried loading stuff via twilight hack i just got errors that it couldnt load. I did try to load a wad manager. Maybe i just need to do some more reading on how to load other things besides the HBC loader via TWH.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The twilight hack will boot the boot.dol file in the root of sd. Normally, that would be the HBC installer dol
But you can put any dol there. Such as the wad manager.

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I thought i tried that previously and was unable to do it, i must have done something wrong. I will follow your instructions and let you all know. Thanks again both of you for the help!

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
excellent.

I am able to get into wad managers and such now through TW. I swear i tried it before and it didnt work, but probably user error.

I booted to the custom IOS36 loader 1.7 that loads a bunch of stuff via network, everything seemed to go through fine, HBC still doesnt work. I went into a wad manager 1.3, but before i started installing stuff and messing something up further i decided to do some more reading tomorrow when i have a chance.

I was able to get HBCv9 to go through its installer, says it installs its ticket, but im not sure how to look and see if it did it correctly through anytitledeleter, im sure i can find that info out there already though.

I was hoping that the IOS36 loader v1.7 would fix it for me, but it didnt seem to work. Regardless now I am able to at least get in and install stuff, thats the majority of my problem solved. Hopefully a bit more reading and understanding of how the Wii works and i should be able to get the problem resolved from here.

Thanks again!

-syzergy

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What on earth is IOS36 loader 1.7? I've never heard of that.

And I don't imagine you'll screw anything up by installing IOS36 via Wad Manager. All you'd be doing is undoing the earlier mistake of uninstalling it as far as I'm aware.

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sorry, im horrible with remembering names of things correctly. i meant
IOS 36 rev 10

http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios36-rev-10

something that was linked towards the end of a guide. It said custom "IOS36 rev10" and a poster above recommended that I reinstall IOS36... I thought that the tool in that link would do what he meant.

When you boot into that tool it says its 1.7 up on the screen i believe.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That installs IOS249, which is the patched IOS36 that lets backups run. To reinstall IOS36 you just do it in Wad Manager. Do I have to say that again?

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
just because you downloaded a file called "ios36" does not mean it's not bogus.
(learned the hard way)

zip that ios file, then look in the zip at the files CRC checksum.
it should be : 989DAB62
if it's not then the file is bogus.

now your showing an american flag - if your wii is american then download the backup-disk and let it install ios16
then the hbc can use it.
hbc 10.1 that is - you seem to be using old versions!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the reason the HBC isn't installing for him is because he deleted the channel, most likely via the System Menu. In that case the ticket would remain behind and maybe the installer doesn't like that. Either that or it's because he still hasn't reinstalled IOS36.

Or both.

syzergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, thanks again.

I tried a bunch of stuff, i guess because i didnt understand some of how all this works.

The IOS i had originally wasnt corrupt, it was just already on there so it wouldnt install over the top of itself. However i assumed it was corrupt because of that, and was nervous about getting another copy and installing it.

I ended up doing exactly what most of you mentioned, loading wad manager and reinstalling IOS36-64-1042, and HBC works fine now. There are a ton of numbers out there that, to a new user, all look remarkably similar and its easy to get confused. For instance that installer i linked up there, at first glance, seems to be something that does what it says. Installs IOS36 files. I dunno, i guess im just not following some of it well.

I was just hesitant to do some of what was suggested because i didnt want to be wrong and brick my wii.

Regardless though, thank you all, the help is incredibly appreciated, everything is working fine now.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, what that installer that uses the IOS36 wad does is take that wad, patch it so that it plays burned games, then installs it as IOS249 on your Wii. It's what makes the various backup loaders work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo