Hardware Defective Graphics Card or Something Else?

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I bought an AGP 7950GT for my aging PC. It didn't turn out so well when I tried Call of Duty 4, as the game performance was abysmal. The game was running like a powerpoint slide show. Now I had already tested Call of Duty 4 with my 6800GT, and the game ran very well on it, there was non of the slide show problems that I had with the 7950GT.

I tried Gears of War, and that ran fine, no problem there. I also tried Portal and the new FEAR standalone game, Perseus Mandate. All of them played well without any problems. When I tried Crysis , however, the slideshow problem began again, but this was at the splash screens, before I even got to the game. I didn't have this problem with the 6800GT. So I wrote to manufacturer and they suggested I turn V-Sync off, which I did, and the splash screens were back to normal and I could get to the game.

Well, I even wrote to activision support regarding Call of Duty 4 and the problems I was having. They suggested all the things I'd already done, but I did it anyway in some futile hope that I would be able to get it working. Not a single thing worked to get Call of Duty 4 playing correctly. I even did a clean start with nothing loaded in the background, and it still failed to play correctly. So it suggested that nothing like the antivirus, torrent program, irc or anything else was interfering with the game.

I've the latest bios update for my motherboard, the latest gfx drivers (I tried both beta and WHQL drivers), the latest sound drivers. I've tried Call of Duty 4 on it's lowest setting possible, and there is no joy. With Crysis I have to force V-sync off from the Nvidia Control Panel in order to get to the game. This suggests that there may be a problem with the card if two of the new titles are having issues running the games. Neither problems occurred with the older 6800GT

I've already requested an RMA, but I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if any one else can suggest a solution to this problem before I ship it back for testing and replacement.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Did you buy the game or pirate it? If pirated could be a defective download i had to re-download it and it worked the second time. The first time it would get past installation and then when i tried to play it and it fucked up, tried different methods of cracking it and no luck, re-downloaded and it worked straight off the bat.

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a backup, but here's the thing it works fine when I plug the 6800GT in, when I try the same game with the new card the 7950GT it does the slide show. Just to be sure I took the card out and replaced it with my old card and it worked again. Also I found the V-Sync issue with Crysis to be a little strange too

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Oh okay, well i checked my AGP card because i thought i have heard 6800GT somewhere, and i have the same AGP card. Plays call of duty 4 like a dream (well for me anyways) but only just runs crysis. But i think it maybe a defective card. Don't do anything yet wait for more replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Yeet the cat.