Defective DSTWO: MicroSD slot spring sprung

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by laserjock, Dec 10, 2012.

Dec 10, 2012
  1. laserjock
    OP

Newcomer laserjock Member

United States
    Well, I only had the DSTWO for a day and already the MicroSD cards weren't clicking and sticking in place, the detent/click/spring action mount of the MicroSD card is broken. I hope the dealer replaces it and that he won't make me pay shipping to him. I broke 2 cards trying to make it work (I didn't know I broke them, long story, but MicroSDs are much more delicate than I realized. I tried using Tape and cracked them).

Man I sure do hope this dealer will take care of me, and now I have to ask:

Has anyone else had a problem with the method of MicroSD mounting on the DSTWO? Is this a typical problem with this cartridge and should I get another brand/model? I also noticed that I was only getting like 4 hours of battery life, and PDFs and AVIs wouldn't work on it, even with the plugin.

I need some advice, which cart is the next best choice if I have to go with something else?

Sadly, I don't have much money so I will have to wait a month possibly before I can get a replacement if the dealer (Real Hot Stuff) doesn't back this. Anyone know if they stand behind their sales?

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Sounds like a defective DSTWO, your dealer should replace it. Your battery life depends on what device you're running it on and if you're running an application that utilizes the DSTWO's CPU (and how much of it it does).

3. laserjock
    OP

United States
    Running it on a brand new DSi. Also, AVI and PDF not working, and wireless not working. Dealer told me to open a RMA. I will be unhappy if I have to ship it back because it is a long walk to the Post Office (I don't have a car).

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I personally hate the springed slots on a flashcart. I have lost micro sd cards due to an over tightened spring. I break them as soon as i get them,

5. laserjock
    OP

United States
    I don't like it either. IF the the DSTWO is the best flashcart, what is the second best and doesn't have this design, and is it any better on the battery charge?

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The R4i Gold isn't spring-loaded... at least, the older model I have isn't.

http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

Also, about the AVI, AVI is not a single video format. It's a container, and the actual video format inside an AVI could be any one of tens of codecs and then there's things like the resolution and bitrate that are limited too.

7. laserjock
    OP

United States

Thanks for that information. The dealer messaged me to do a RMA. I haven't gotten a response from them, but an RMA number shows, but no message on return procedure/address. I'll give the DSTWO one more try based on that chart you linked.

So long as he can listen to music, play games, the browse effectivly, and not suffer a sudden Nintendo disablement, I'm good. They really should get rid of that spring loaded MicroSD mount, just a tension fit would be more reliable I would think.

Unfortunately, I am just about flat broke until 2 weeks. I am really unhappy about this happening, I was hoping to send it off to him next month (it is a gift to my kid overseas).

8. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    The spring loading slot on my ancient DSTT was really good, never a problem at all, but my brand spankin new DSTwo, holy crap. That spring is wayyyyyyyyyy too strong, I feel like I have to push hard enough to damage the card just to get the SD in. Terribly designed, and the DSTwo in general just seems really flimsy and fragile. But I need it to play on my new 3DSXL, not like I can go back to the DSTT.

9. laserjock
    OP

United States
    Yes, the spring is very high tension. And it does seem a little fragile, in part because they have to use a tap cover rather than a plastic cover over the chips. This is a real issue for me because I am sending this overseas to my boy there (step son). I've lost 2 MicroSD cards now. Another concern I have, I put in the request for replacement Sunday night, they responded to apply for RMA, so I did so, but I've yet to get a confirmation and instructions on where and when to send it back. Honestly, I don't think I should even have to send it, this isn't a 500 dollar item. It is an obvious design issue. Maybe I am better off just getting 2 acecards for the same price from that vendor? That way I can still program cards to send to my kid there.

I am struggling with whether to send two 16 gig cards, or one 32 gig card and, say, a 4 or 8 gig card for backup. With 2 16 gigs, he'd be removing cards more often and I worry the spring mechanism could fail on the replacement.

Why couldn't they have used a tight fitting, non spring loaded mount?

Also, was my cart defective as far as the wireless part? It kept saying that wireless is not enabled but it is already set up on the DSi.

How many days should I wait to hear back from this vendor? 3? Why does it take so long?

I am so frustrated because I don't have any cash on hand to just buy something else and won't for 3 or 4 weeks.

10. Kadin

Member Kadin Ain't no rest for the wicked...

United States
    Is there a recommended tutorial or method to properly removing the spring and just having the card slide in and out without it? I also noticed this when I got mine a couple weeks back and would LOVE to remove it.

11. laserjock
    OP

United States
    My BIL, an engineer, and me a technician, we looked at it. You're not going to take that apart and do that, it is soldered in place I'm pretty certain. It is an incredibly delicate assembly, think Swiss watch...

The spring tension is too high IMHO, and the assembly is too delicate.