Gaming Decide my next move!

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to mention that Ocarina of Time 3D was the first time I played OoT ever, and it still gave me goosebumps. It's that awesome. I knew nothing about OoT in particular and just went ahead and bought it due to the craze. It made its way into one of my all-time favorite games. In fact I got so angry after beating it that I'm still trying to complete all the extras. Might even replay the game in the near future.
Did you do Master Quest?

Also, play Majora's Mask in some form (N64, GCN, VC, emulator), if you can. It's very unique from Ocarina of time (aside from the graphic style), and while a bit shorter, it's much harder and overall longer with the sidequests. It's my favorite game of all time.

Yeah, I've done Master Quest.
I've also played a bit of Majora's Mask, but never had the time to get into it. If I can get my hands on an official cartridge it would be pretty neat. Also, my previous post might have created a little bit of a misunderstanding. I've played tons of Zelda games before, but OoT 3D was simply the first time I got my hands on any version of OoT.
But thanks, I'll look into playing MM. If I can't find a cartridge I'll eventually get a ROM on my Wii or something. ;)

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've done Master Quest.
I've also played a bit of Majora's Mask, but never had the time to get into it. If I can get my hands on an official cartridge it would be pretty neat. Also, my previous post might have created a little bit of a misunderstanding. I've played tons of Zelda games before, but OoT 3D was simply the first time I got my hands on any version of OoT.
But thanks, I'll look into playing MM. If I can't find a cartridge I'll eventually get a ROM on my Wii or something. ;)
Yeah. If you decide to play it on your Wii, I strongly suggest getting the virtual console version rather than the GameCube Collector's Disc version. The GameCube version is poorly emulated, and has tons of frame-rate drops and even random game-breaking freezes (which is terrible in a game with limited saves). The virtual console has some MINOR graphical differences (which I haven't noticed, only the really picky people have, lol), but overall it runs smoother than even the original N64 version, and with a better frame rate. And it's even in 480p, and trust me, even as an N64 game running on my 37 inch HD, it looks GLORIOUS. :D

ShadowPierce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
More replies? Yay! :D

@[member='retrodoctor']: Rhythm Heaven huh? Never heard of it. Better google it first. +1 vote to Rhythm Heaven

@[member='xerxes16439']: So it's actually challenging huh? Cool, I love a good challenge. ^_^

@[member='Lucifer666']: Awesome, I'm getting less scared of getting OoT. And Rhythm Heaven looks weird to me. But then again, so was Elite Beat Agents. +1 vote for Rhythm Heaven

@[member='xwatchmanx']: Majora's Mask was also pretty popular, but I've never really tried it. Hell, I never even saw its gameplay. Is there an emulator for any of its platforms on the DSTwo? If DSTwo doesn't make it in this thread, I think I'll buy it anyway by late September. :P

@[member='heartgold']: HOLY--!? WHAT THE--?! 108 HOU--?! I DON'T EVEN--?! +1 vote to Legend of Zelda

First post updated. :3

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@[member='xwatchmanx']: Majora's Mask was also pretty popular, but I've never really tried it. Hell, I never even saw its gameplay. Is there an emulator for any of its platforms on the DSTwo? If DSTwo doesn't make it in this thread, I think I'll buy it anyway by late September. :P
Dude, the DSTwo can't even properly emulate GBA or SNES without slowdowns. There's no way it'll be able to emulate N64 games, much less one that required the expansion pack. lol.

ShadowPierce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dammit! Guess I'll just have to wait 'til I get my own laptop. :P

OoT is still leading when it comes to votes, but I think I'll wait for another week before I close this poll... -_-

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the replies guys! Now let me see if I can reply to every single one:

@[member='emigre']: Although the battle system is very tempting, I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy it if I already know the story. I'm a writer and how a game is delivered with the story is an extremely crucial aspect for me. So yeah, ToA is now officially off the list. Thanks for the suggestion and creepy avatar though. ;)

@[member='Gnargle']: *gasp* Yes master! :V
Kidding aside, Kid Icarus really looked very interesting. I watched the trailer and the level of action in it seems right up my alley. +1 vote to Kid Icarus.

@[member='trumpet-205']: I have a PS2 but I rarely play it now. I'd play it on my PS2 but I can't find the game anywhere here in my area. From what I watched from the anime, I thought the story is pretty decent, around 6/10. Thanks for the reply anyway... ^_^

@[member='Ericthegreat']: So I've heard. I'm really tempted to get it right now but I'm afraid that it, being only a re-release, might make it not worth my time. Then again, it's Legend-of-freaking-Zelda for christ's sake. It's one of the most popular games EVER. +1 vote to Legend of Zelda

@[member='Zantigo']: Cool, I actually consider myself as a semi-homeless person right now since I sleep right here in the company building during the weekdays LOL... xD
The problem with your reply was you threw my question right back to me as a response, so I was riddled once again by my own question. :P

@[member='xerxes16439']: Sorry, off the list. I'm terribly picky when it comes to storyline. Thatrhythm is a big rival to Rhythm Thief for me, but since I'm a pretty good rhythm game player, how hard do you think is it? I play 5-star songs on osu!, Extreme difficulty in all instruments (except vocals, LOL) in any Guitar Hero game, and level 25+ songs on O2jam. Not bragging, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are WAY better than me. I was just asking if the difficulty level of Theathrhythm can keep up with me. Anyway, +1 vote to Theatrhythm.

@[member='Lucifer666']: I've read a lot of great reviews for OoT, and it really seemed awesome. I was just not sure if it was current-generation-player-awesome or nostalgia-induced-psychedelia-awesome. +1 vote to Legend of Zelda

@[member='xwatchmanx']:
1. Kid Icarus looks epic with its action-packed videos and screens, but I've heard the replay value is almost zero if you don't have WiFi on solo campaign. Unless it has hundreds of secrets, which is perfect for me 'coz I'm a completionist with an OCD for perfection (well, not really, but I LOVE perfectly finishing games).
2. I've never played most of the classics, even though I'm in the older age group of gamers (I'm ashamed). A lot of people seem to favor OoT so it seems the poll is leaning towards it right now.
3.I'd get a DSTwo right now without asking this question if I knew exactly what to do with my Acekard2i. So the thing with the DSTwo part of this thread is I want people to convince me to get it without selling my Acekard2i, or tell me what the hell I should do with this goddamned card. I'm not blaming the Acekard team, but I can't be blamed too for updating the system since my little bro was the one who updated it. >.>

+1 vote to Kid Icarus, Legend of Zelda and DSTwo.

More replies and votes would be greatly appreciated! 1st post updated! :D
Uh Solo campaign doesn't need Wi-Fi. Together mode does.
If you want to complete it 100% than yes, this game will keep you busy for a while. It has a rather difficult learning curve though (not for controls exactly but for the crating weapons department), but it's really fun to learn as you go.
I would say based on my experiences that Wi-Fi is mainly the thing that will keep you playing this game. Because, while finishing 100% can be tedious, once you've done it, I can't say you'll want to play it again.
If you plan on getting Wi-Fi than I recommend it. I still play the game regularly to this day.

ShadowPierce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. What I meant was: "If I didn't have WiFi, I'd be forced to only play solo. Of course. In that case, would there still be extras/secrets for me to play after I complete the game on solo mode?" which you just answered. ^_^ I was hoping for something extra like KH2's arena or Tekken 5's arcade mode that gets harder after every match to keep me playing even on solo. :P

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. What I meant was: "If I didn't have WiFi, I'd be forced to only play solo. Of course. In that case, would there still be extras/secrets for me to play after I complete the game on solo mode?" which you just answered. ^_^ I was hoping for something extra like KH2's arena or Tekken 5's arcade mode that gets harder after every match to keep me playing even on solo. :P
It depends what you mean by "beat solo mode." If you mean beat the campaign, yes there are unlockable secrets and special modes (which I won't spoil, unless you ask me to). Also, tons of achievements. If you've ever played Smash Bros. Brawl or Kirby Air Ride, you get what I mean when I talk about the unlockables and achievements. It's like those games, but way more achievements.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned Devil Survivor: Overclocked. It's a bit of strategy mixed in with your RPG, but it's an excellent game for an RPG fanatic. New Game + and post-game bosses mean that the game isn't over when the credits roll, either.

I second the votes for LoZ and Tales of the Abyss, as well, especially if you don't have them for their original consoles.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found OoT to be average in all honesty. The 'magic' around it never reached me and in the end I found it to be repetitive. Fortunately I got the game cheap so I'm not exactly left with a grand feeling of regret, but I wouldn't recommend it in all honesty.

D

Deleted_171835

I found OoT to be average in all honesty. The 'magic' around it never reached me and in the end I found it to be repetitive. Fortunately I got the game cheap so I'm not exactly left with a grand feeling of regret, but I wouldn't recommend it in all honesty.
Supposedly Majora's Mask is better. Although you ought to wait until the 3DS remake comes out (someday).

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as emigre said, get tales of the abyss. AMAZING game. as for flash carts, I would suggest the R4i Gold 3DS by r4ids.cn
they are pretty inexpensive in some places, and have wood firmware support. unless you're dead set on the DSTwo because of the GBA emulation.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
OoT is a great game in my opinion, but not as insanely amazing as everyone makes it out to be. At least, it's definitely not the best game in the series (I personally believe that every 3D Zelda game surpassed it, which is a good thing). That said, I think it's the best one in terms of it's "pick up and play" factor. It's pretty easy to grab it, play for 30 minutes, accomplish some stuff, save, and pick it up later. Which makes it perfect as a handheld title, in my opinion.

Supposedly Majora's Mask is better. Although you ought to wait until the 3DS remake comes out (someday).
I agree with the first sentence, but not the last. Give it a go, now! :P It seems shorter than other 3D Zeldas at a glance, but working on a playthrough right now, it really isn't. There's only 4 main dungeons, but they pack so much that you have to do in between those dungeons, unlike OoT, where it was mostly "spend 5 minutes to get to the next area, do stuff in said area for 10, and then enter the dungeon." And there's so many freaking side quests, and unlike most other Zelda games, you actually feel MOTIVATED to do them, because they're much more extensive and the rewards are better, since the different masks give you different abilities that are actually helpful. As opposed to OoT where it was all, "here's a big rupee or a piece of heart... or an empty bottle if you're lucky, or almost NEVER an actual extra item to use." Not to mention that there's actually a reward for completing all the side quests and getting all the masks ("better" ending and an ultimate weapon).

I take it by your first sentence you've never played it, SoulX? (Just curious.)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I haven't. I'm waiting for the remake so I don't have to deal with a shit framerate.
The frame rate is terrible in the original N64 game and GCN port. But I'm playing the virtual console version right now, and I haven't experienced any frame rate issues or slow downs except for the extremely rare occasion when I blow up a beamos or something (that happens in OoT, too... not sure why). In fact, I daresay it performs BETTER on the VC than on the origina N64 hardware (except for some EXTREMELY minor graphical differences due to emulation, which you're really not gonna notice unless you're looking for them).

But yeah, I can't blame you for waiting for a "prettier" version, especially since OoT 3D ran at 30fps verus 20fps. I just felt like mentioning that.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Picture Says it all!

gallery_312532_1477_16757.jpg

audiocake

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dude, the DSTwo can't even properly emulate GBA or SNES without slowdowns. There's no way it'll be able to emulate N64 games, much less one that required the expansion pack. lol.

You are an idiot, the DSTWO perfectly emulates GBA games. I haven't tried SNES but I've heard it works fine too

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You are an idiot, the DSTWO perfectly emulates GBA games. I haven't tried SNES but I've heard it works fine too
Tons of GBA games have slowdowns and glitches, to the point of being nigh-unplayable. Some work fine, but just as many (if not more) have tons of issues. Have you tried playing Mario Power Tennis for GBA? That game is a freaking nightmare on the DSTwo.

I recommend you stop calling people idiots just for saying something absolutely factual that you disagree with. Especially when you only have 2 posts.

Reactions: Devin

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest the Supercard DSTWO, as it can hold more than one game, and the DS has way more J-RPGs than the 3DS. After all, the 3DS is still young....ish....

ShadowPierce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for replying guys. I know it's been months since I last posted here but here's what I just did while you were busy arguing here:

Bought Zelda. Finished it. Loved it. Sold it. Regretting it. Looking for another copy.
Got Theatrhythm. Still enjoying it, as I have just learned about the Stoic Bonus. :P
Got Kid Icarus. Enjoyed it. Bought 2 more copies just for the heck of it... Nah, I got two more for my 2 brothers. xD
Bought Tales of the Abyss. Started too slow for me. Sold it. Might get a used copy in the future when I finally have the time.
Got Supercard DSTwo. Didn't get much use from it other than playing Ace Attorney games. Currently in possession of one of my bros.

I was able to save up and upgrade to a 3DS XL and buy a buttload of used games (thanks to Sulit.com.ph). Here's my current collection:
• Kid Icarus
• Mario Kart 7
• Mario Tennis Open
• Harvest Moon: ANB
• Heroes of Ruin
• Theatrhythm
• Resident Evil: Revelations
• Metal Gear Solid 3D
• Pokemon Soul Silver

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :D

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News