Homebrew [Debate][Poll] Flashcards vs. 3DeSmume

Should we rely on DS flashcards to play our beloved DS classics, or should we move on to emulation?

• DS flashcards are cheap and very accurate, so let's not waste our time with emulation.

Votes: 109 19.6%
  • 3DeSmume will likely add extra features that hardware based playback cannot dream of. And it's FREE.

Votes: 99 17.8%
  • Why not both? 3DeSmume compliments, rather than competes against flashcards.

Votes: 261 47.0%
  • We should do neither. They're both piracy and DS games suck anyway.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I am a cat. I know not of what you humans speak.

Votes: 68 12.3%
  • Other. I'll explain in a thread reply.

Votes: 15 2.7%

• Total voters

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I think that the people working on any project should mainly do it to please themselves and please others as a mere bonus. Having said that, I see no reason to debate on whether or not he should continue his work. If he's/they're doing something that could benefit anyone, the only things we should be doing is cheering. Personally, I think it's a great idea, as the 3ds has become the perfect handheld platform that can (with the help of all the amazing software) emulate a wide variety of systems using nothing other than an SD card. And adding the possibility of DS emulation would only add to its compactness.

Last edited by Kinqdra,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
picked option 1 simply because right now i'm not sure how far nds emulation will go on the 3ds, and i think most of the people demanding this kind of thing are probably o3ds users which puts them on even more of a back foot.....dont get me wrong if it could be done to a decent standard with near 100% compatibility then wow sure yeah thats great, but idk if it will ever get there, and i can just forsee threads forever going on about "how do i use this" and "who can fix that"......idk maybe im just a moany fart XD

that said i didnt ever expect video streaming to be a thing and NTR does a pretty decent job at it (on n3ds consoles :P )

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo it's good that we have this but we already have a perfect emulator. (TWL firm) I think that the resources should be dedicated to that as it's somewhat useless to emulate something if the device you're emulating it on already has the hardware for it. Tl dr why bother emulating

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Imo it's good that we have this but we already have a perfect emulator. (TWL firm) I think that the resources should be dedicated to that as it's somewhat useless to emulate something if the device you're emulating it on already has the hardware for it. Tl dr why bother emulating

Native support =! Emulation. Besides which you'll still need a flashcart to actually get anything similar to what an emulator would offer and even then it'll be severely gimped.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashcards are shady Chinese products that might not cost much, but require a separate sd card and aren't as feature rich as emulators can be. I'm all down for a free alternative.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Though I suggest flashcarts for now, it's too early to debate over which will be better. Personally, I always encourage more homebrews/emulators for the 3DS because they help push the community.

Last edited by The Catboy,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How about stfu and just show me the results?
  1. 3DeSmume will likely add extra features that hardware based playback cannot dream of. And it's FREE.
    1. DS flashcards are cheap and very accurate, so let's not waste our time with emulation.
      11 vote(s)
      12.6%
    8 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Why not both? 3DeSmume compliments, rather than competes against flashcards.
    44 vote(s)
    50.6%
  3. We should do neither. They're both piracy and DS games suck anyway.
    1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. I am a cat. I know not of what you humans speak.
    10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Other. I'll explain in a thread reply.
    3 vote(s)
    3.4%
*not guaranteed to be up to date :P

Reactions: WiiUBricker

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
who uses the mset exploit any more....and if you can run 3desmume you can run FBI which can install the MSET exploit
yeah fbi can do it. but some people have a 4.5 console without the browser, but if you can run 3desmume you can install the mset exploit. but then i'd say having a flashcard is better even though it costs a couple bucks

Darkrai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really liked the idea, a DS emulator would be great for those who don't want buy a fucking flashcard. But I was wondering if wasn't better to study the TWL_Firm and find a way in use the SD card port instead of the slot1 port than spending time in something that is much more complicated like emulation...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol