Dead Pixels .. what defines one?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by aofelix, Dec 30, 2013.

1. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Hi, my new 3DS XL looks all good apart from a pixel which doesnt seem to change color. Its not noticable unless i look at the screen from a flat angle... i.e. if im looking at it face on, its fine but looking at it horizontally, i can see a pixel which isn't changing colour.

its not noticable in real-time gameplay but is it worth trying to get a new one or are they all like this?

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A stuck pixel is a pixel in which for some reason one of the three main colours is not responding correctly, does so with a long delay or is otherwise malfunctioning - these can usually be easily repaired by flashing images on-screen, subjecting the pixel to modest amounts of heat (using a blowdryer for example), "rubbing" the pixel or combining those methods.

A dead pixel does not respond to any simulation at all, which means that it's not changing colour or doesn't even light up. It might mean that all three colours are fauly or that the transistor responsible for that section of the screen is not connected to it properly. Dead pixels are much more difficult if not impossible to repair in most cases, but same rules apply.

3. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    I'd say get a new one. This happened to my laptop and it was definitely worth exchanging.

4. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Dead Pixels is a good game http://deadpixelsthegame.com/

Seriously though, every screen is bound to have one or two bad pixels, but if it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about. And Nintendo won't fix it even if it's still in warranty b/c they don't see it as a problem

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I have zero tolerance for dead pixels, once you find it, you will always see it. Return the system and ask for a replacement or a refund - you have grounds to do so.
    False, there's no shame in asking for a perfect screen. Bad pixels are considered factory defects. A unit with bad pixels shouldn't even pass quality control, however one dead pixel is not considered an issue. Still, I would demand a replacement either way.

The problem will be handled by the retailer, not Nintendo. He's not sending it in for repairs - the system is new and should be fully functional, the retailer should replace it.

6. aofelix
    OP

Dec 21, 2013
    cheers guys, ill try and return it in an hour or so.. before i do, are there any images/videos i can play to try and unstuck it? i cant play youtube videos in the 3ds so im stuck for sources of stuck pixel removers

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you have a DS-Mode flashcart, you could try some DS homebrew, provided the pixel is in the area covered by the DS sandbox.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/dspixelfix.169291/

You could also try playing a video with flashing colours on the screen.

Rubbing also helps, but do it with a microfibre cloth and moderate pressure so that you don't damage the unit while doing so.

8. aofelix
    OP

Dec 21, 2013
    i just returned it right now.

they gave me a new one. slightly loose-ish d-pad, but perfect screen. so i decided to bite.

Foxi4 likes this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Great. The D-Pad will change its properties over time anyways, it's something one can get used to while a sh*t screen will stay a sh*t screen forever. Good for you, respect yourself and your rights as a customer.