DBI says "unable to find a suitable USB drive"

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plugged a FAT32 USB drive into the dock and it is browsable in DBI, Goldleaf, and that filemanager that comes with the homebrew menu. However, if I try to dump a title to a USB drive in DBI (ver 439) it says "unable to find a suitable USB drive." I've tested several 32, 64, and 128GB sticks all FAT32 and the same thing happens. Why are my USB sticks "unsuitable"?

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Since v441 exFAT USB drive required only for files >4G. Smaller files can be dumped to FAT32 USB drive

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping some smaller than 4GB games. Same error. The issue is not the FAT32 4GB file size limit. Is size really an issue with dumping? Goldleaf dumps large games into <4GB chunks and throws them in a folder (with names 00, 01, etc.) with archive bit set. Does DBI do this? AFAIK, Goldleaf does not dump to external USB, which is why I'm looking at DBI.

The switch does not see exFAT uSD drive at all. I'm not sure I want to dedicate a real SATA hard drive to game dumps, but I'll give it a try to see if it works.

Where's v441? I thought the latest release is 439?

Last edited by romanaOne,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping some smaller than 4GB games. Same error. The issue is not the FAT32 4GB file size limit.

The switch does not see exFAT uSD drive at all. I'm not sure I want to dedicate a real SATA hard drive to game dumps, but I'll give it a try to see if it works.

Where's v441? I thought the latest release is 439?
When you installed your firmware with daybreak.nro, what drivers did you select?

You can choose to install the FAT32 driver or the FAT32 + exFAT drivers. Even if your microSD card is formatted to FAT32, it doesn’t harm to choose the latter option, which is the one I selected. Press “Continue” once again to start the installation process.

If you didn’t select FAT32 + exfat you will not be able to see exfat drives.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I installed both drivers when I last updated with daybreak: at least, I am able to use exFAT and FAT32 cards in the internal uSD slot.

Ayup. You would have issues with all drives formatted exfat so scratch that idea then. Hmmmm.

I will try on mine and see if I can duplicate.

I’m on 15.0.1 | AMS 1.4.0E for both my V1 and V2 (not sure if V matters)

Same for you?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost, I'm on 15.0.0. Just noticed 15.0.1 has come out.
Interesting:

image.jpg

Saying the same thing.

I just installed a game from the same thumb drive.

Try using an otg adapter and plug the drive directly into the switch and see if that works

Good idea…

My thumb drive is plugged directly into the switch and formatted as FAT32.

3D148592-6E67-4051-BA1D-A22A18AD7AE5.jpeg

@duckbill007 what’s the criteria for a valid drive? Is a USB thumb drive not a valid target?

Last edited by binkinator,

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's looking for a path on said usb drive ? Or maybe just maybe it needs ran in title override mode (hold L click any forwarder)
Also found this line in the github
"Since 202 libusbhsfs is opt-in: to use it create /switch/dbi.libusbhsfs flag file"
Maybe you need this sys module or need to manually install or turn it on.

Last edited by Evildood,
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switched to exfat and no problems dumping the same game…

image.jpg

Maybe it's looking for a path on said usb drive ?
i see what you’re getting at. I didn’t need a directory under exfat…just format and go.
Or maybe just maybe it needs ran in title override mode (hold L click any forwarder)
Agreed. Was using title override and not applet mode.
Also found this line in the github
"Since 202 libusbhsfs is opt-in: to use it create /switch/dbi.libusbhsfs flag file"
Maybe you need this sys module or need to manually install or turn it on.
Very interesting. I reformatted to FAT32 and tried with this flag file in ‘switch and in /switch/DBI/ and still no suitable drive found. Hmmmm

e: looks like that flag file was moved to a var in the dbi.config file

488F2B42-8824-459B-B558-F57BE971C6AD.jpeg

Tried running with this var set to false and the Dump to USB option disappeared altogether.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before version 441 dump works only to exfat drives. Since 441 exfat required only for dumps >4G
Very much appreciated. My data was < 90M so it should have been able to dump to FAT32, correct?

e: oh! I’m on 439. My sincere apologies! Fixing.

e2: I must be blind. The latest release I can find is 439. Has 441 been released to ungrateful masses yet? thank you for your time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging an 18 year old would be illegal?"
    first of all, being in a relationship with someone who's 18 is technically ok, as long as it started when they were 18, but the age gap is still weird depending on how old you are. besides, the age of consent differs between different states
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also my reasoning for adult age being 21 is because the reason that's the drinking (and now smoking) age is because it "gives them more time to think rationally and not drive drunk"
    so you should have that extra time to mature and think rationally before going to serve in the military or vote
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tl;dr the "adult" age and the legal drinking age (and voting age) here in the US should be the same
    +4
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's all good no one pays attention to the law anyway lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about making kids wait till 18 or 21 to drive? And yea is messed up, you can join army and die for your country at age 18, but you can't drink alcohol or smoke a cig til 21, is ridiculous
    +3
    If someone is in the military they should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.... Would help drive recruitment lol
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all know they do and will anyways. I think laws prevented them only pushes them to illegally do it. Even tho if was legal, most prob wouldn't even bother. Not a big deal or risque if its legal, no fun.
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    That's why some kids don't mind having a rap sheet or two just so they never get drafted
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also, i think the voting age should match the adult and drinking ages too, because by the logic of giving them time to mature and think rationally so they don't drive drunk, then they should also have that time to mature and think rationally so they can think for themselves
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fucking hell i'm becoming a mini leo with the way i yap aren't i?
    +1
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    I was unable to create the VM for the debloat windows, but found the video where I learned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZm6mY3I7J4
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you def no leo, and I like your insight. You are a smart Baked cookie.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato for dinner tonight turned out good
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    "i promise not to get all political and/or philosophical"
    3 drinks later:
    "so yeah think for yourself and i think the government sucks"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is @BigOnYa drunk again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    no, i was poking fun at myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again? I have a IV feeding me so I never come down.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because self deprecating humor is important, as long as it doesn't turn into self hate. because you can't really make fun of anyone if you can't even make fun of yourself
    +2
    Booze enemas are real lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    that explains a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, invented the first ever pill that gets you instantly hammered, now filling the streets of Miami
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That was what called a qaaulude, instant drunk, luckily they not around anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tylenol midday
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tylenol midday