Hacking Data recovery

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing a game, when it all of a sudden froze. Turning off the game and then back on, I recieved an SD card error on my flashcart. When inserting it into the PC, I was prompted to format the SD card in order to use it.

Damn, seems after 2-3 years my SD card failed me...

Does anyone know of recovery software I could use to recover my data?

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been trying some recovery programs that are free... kinda dangerous since theres always a chance one of them is a virus.

Anyway, One of them found alot of files relating to the R4's cart, such as the CHEAT.dat and a bunch of the background images from the menus.

No luck finding the .sav files, which are all I really care about... anyone know of something?

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
try zar(zero assumption recovery), i usually use that when ever my sd card fails. The free trail allows you to recover 4 folders, so do what you can. It'll even recover the files if you format ur card.

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh my god. Just ran it, and I could see EVERYTHING! All the files, all their names... and the correct sizes!

Im going to recover my gamesaves, and see tomorrow (as its 4 am, so technically today) If when I go out and buy a new SD card the games are still functional.

They should be... but you never know

Dude you rock

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
np
happy.gif
, but you can only recover 4 folders. And buy a new SD card? why? Just format this one and it'll be okay again.

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I format it, I have a chance at losing the data. Plus, this one has been giving me a little trouble for the past few days. Its years old, and all electronics have built in faults that make them lose functionality. A friend of mine who worked in constructing USB devices told me that XXXXXbrand of usb sticks were pretty much set to stop working at about 5 million data transfers or something of the sort.

Besides, a 1 gig microSD card shouldnt be too expensive, I could always use this one for my phone

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ur choice
yay.gif
, but after you recover your saves, u can format it, which will delete all the data on the card but make it work again. Yes, it is more likely to screw up but I just keep a backup of my saves on the computer. Too cheap to buy another sd card
smile.gif
. But still, ur choice.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TheBlueFox said:
Oooh my god. Just ran it, and I could see EVERYTHING! All the files, all their names... and the correct sizes!

Im going to recover my gamesaves, and see tomorrow (as its 4 am, so technically today) If when I go out and buy a new SD card the games are still functional.

Dude you rock
Did you manage to recover files that were in the root or only ones in folders?

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Back in 04-05 I used a program named Getdataback. It's not free but it worked great with my good old crashed IDE drive. Since you probably run FAT on the SD card I can't see why it shouldn't work
smile.gif

Just formated the harddrive with a quick format, booted up the program and I was able to save almost every file! Awesome software
smile.gif

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
TheBlueFox said:

Dude you rock
Did you manage to recover files that were in the root or only ones in folders?

I was able to see, and select to recover, Every file in Every folder, Even files that I had previously deleted in the recent past. There were 3 files in all of the hundred some odd that were red in color and labled as corrupt. The others appeared normal, greyed out until I selected them. I was able to select 4 folders, and every file within those folders, and then re-save them onto my desktop in a folder called ROOT (which were where my games were located)

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
make sure you try out everything you recovered, sometimes it says the files are okay, but the don't work and you have to recover them again.

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats exactly why im not formatting this one at the moment :3 but thanks. Goodnight everyone, its 5am, and im gonna get some sleep

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Try to back up onto something unix based (mac, linux). They should be able to do it ^.^ (if you need a second copy i recommend this)

TheBlueFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright! after purchasing a 2gb MicroSD, and returning the files to it, I have come to a complete success.

All files restored, all gamesaves recovered

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, thats not orange thats blue +1