OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

I was really thinking about modding my Wii, and tought I could get a D2B (trading my D2C with a friend's wii) but, after enterring the serial number of my friend's Wii (LU3111...) on Wiitracker, I get this result:

"There is a 94% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2C
and a 6% chance that it is a GC2-D2B.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut."

I'm really pissed off by this... Now I don't know what I should do:

1. Keep my Wii with the VC games on it and pay a big price to get a D2Ckey :S
or
2. Still trade the Wii because of that 6% chance of D2B and risk losing my VC games for noting if it turn out being D2C (my friend won't let me open the Wii and return it to him if it's not D2B!). If it's D2B, I could buy a Wlip and mod the Wii myself (weeee! fun!) for way cheaper than a D2Ckey installation (weee!).

According to Wiitracker, it look like these Wii (LU3111...) are a small batch of "probably D2C" in the middle of a big batch of D2B... (look on Wiitracker if you want to understand better...).

So yeah... what would you do?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keep the wii , it's yours you know how it's been treated + you have VC games. Mod with Argon or D2pro instead of D2CKEY.

SinR

The Terribad Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
just shell out for the d2ckey and get it pro soldered... 30 wires == bitch if you're an amature. all in all it cost me about 100 with the dude's d2ckey to get my d2c Wii modded

edit: rephrased stuffs

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, but the only place I know installing D2Ckeys is charging wayyyy too much for it than my budget is allowing...(169$!!).

Also, my friend got his Wii arround may-june. But, according to a site, D2C Wii started being sold in Canada arround september. And according to that site, LU30000xxxx to LU31539xxxx Wii's should be D2B with legs uncut (my friend's Wii is LU3111). So why is Wiitracker telling me I might have D2C? Is it an error? Or do D2C started being seen before on rare occasions...? I don't understand...

PS: I only got for 20$ of VC games, so losing them is too much of a problem if there's a chance that I can get a Wii that I can use Wlip with. And I know my friend is taking great care of his Wii.

EDIT: Found another site stating the same thing about LU3111 Wiis being D2B without cut legs... So why is Wiitracker telling me the opposite? Any expert that have an explanation?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
You could open up your Wii and check if it is really a D2C..

I also got a D2C here.. and people are charging a lot for a D2CKey installation.. I'll wait some time to see if a cheaper mod chip appears.. in worst case, D2CKey at least seems to be the best modchip around..

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, but it's my friend's Wii... and it's "you open it, you keep it!"... but I gess 20$ of VC games lost is not too much considering that, according to some sites, I have a strong chance of getting D2B...

I would still like to know why a lot of sites are stating that his should be D2B without cut legs, but Wiitracker is saying the opposite...

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anobody to help me with this D2C/D2B confusion? I would think it's D2B even if Wiitracker says the opposite, since D2C are supposed to have appeared in Canada in september...

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My suggestions:

Open up the system to see what you have.

If D2B, then grab a wlip and a cyclowiz

IF D2C, than either grab D2ckey with flexpcb or wait till D2Pro. If it was me, I'd wait for D2Pro.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anobody to help me with this D2C/D2B confusion? I would think it's D2B even if Wiitracker says the opposite, since D2C are supposed to have appeared in Canada in september...
It is safe to say any Wii purchased after August 2007 is d2c. I would wait for the d2pro if you can hold out. I would not go for Argon due to the pain in the ass of updating it. Hopefully the d2pro will be an ideal solution when it comes out shortly.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello!

I was really thinking about modding my Wii, and tought I could get a D2B (trading my D2C with a friend's wii) but, after enterring the serial number of my friend's Wii (LU3111...) on Wiitracker, I get this result:

or
2. Still trade the Wii because of that 6% chance of D2B and risk losing my VC games for noting if it turn out being D2C (my friend won't let me open the Wii and return it to him if it's not D2B!). If it's D2B, I could buy a Wlip and mod the Wii myself (weeee! fun!) for way cheaper than a D2Ckey installation (weee!).

According to Wiitracker, it look like these Wii (LU3111...) are a small batch of "probably D2C" in the middle of a big batch of D2B... (look on Wiitracker if you want to understand better...).

Buy a gamecube and mod that. Then you have all the GC homebrew you want which includes emulators
smile.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Hello!

or

Buy a gamecube and mod that. Then you have all the GC homebrew you want which includes emulators
smile.gif
Bad solution.
Wii want the Wii hardware too
biggrin.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
d2ckey with flexpcb is possible if you use the right tools. but i cant see from here how good you are with a soldering iron...

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't even attempt a modification if you have (hardly ever) soldered before. No with d2ckey flexpcb or with argon or with d2pro. Seriously.

If you did have the right tools already (magnifiying glass, temperature controlled iron, flux, good low-temp melt solder) then BY ALL MEANS GET A FLEXPCB for the d2pro and off you go.

But otherwise, I can already tell you the outcome: you will try, fail, and either break the wii and send it to repair/chip-install or not break it (peewwfff) but not be able to mod it either.

Seriously, it looks easier than it is w/o the experience and the equipment. So my recommendation: see if you can find a place that will mod it with a d2pro for $80+shipping. Also, check on electronic repair stores and stuff around your area. Maybe if you bring them the DVD in hand, tell them where to solder, they could do it for you in an hour's rate.

Here are a couple of videos of an expert doing the flexpcb installation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHSnDX9Wcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2MrjupaAc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.