Hacking Cyclo iEvo and Supercard DSTWO?

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Am looking into buying myself a flashcart, currently don't have any DS console, but am thinking of buying a DSi XL, mainly because i want the bigger screen.

Anyway, after what i've gathered of information it looks like the Supercard DSTWO and the Cyclo iEvo are the "ultimate" flashcarts atm(price doesn't matter, am just looking for the "best" one), iEvo being the newest. And just to be sure, is this correct? Or is there any other flashcarts out there that is better? Let's say i've gotten it right, what's the main difference between these two? To me it looks like the iEvo might be a little step in-front of the DSTWO, since iEvo can access the DSi-Mode? Though what is the DSi-Mode and what benefits would one get from it?

And how is game compatibility on these? Can both play Pokemon Black/White without any trouble?

That's it for now, hopefully someone can help me out, which i would really appreciate =)

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nitrius said:
Am looking into buying myself a flashcart, currently don't have any DS console, but am thinking of buying a DSi XL, mainly because i want the bigger screen.

Anyway, after what i've gathered of information it looks like the Supercard DSTWO and the Cyclo iEvo are the "ultimate" flashcarts atm(price doesn't matter, am just looking for the "best" one), iEvo being the newest. And just to be sure, is this correct? Or is there any other flashcarts out there that is better? Let's say i've gotten it right, what's the main difference between these two? To me it looks like the iEvo might be a little step in-front of the DSTWO, since iEvo can access the DSi-Mode? Though what is the DSi-Mode and what benefits would one get from it?

And how is game compatibility on these? Can both play Pokemon Black/White without any trouble?

That's it for now, hopefully someone can help me out, which i would really appreciate =)

I would go for the Supercard DS2 for many reason because

- Better team support
- Built in GBA/SNES/Video player
- Cheaper and better

The CycloDS iEvo's only good thing is the DSi-Mode and you can only some dsi-enhanced games and it does not work all the time. The plugins/features for the DS2 is also much nicer

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, you are trying to ask for a comparison between two flashcarts with way different final goals in mind.

Both flashcarts are two of the newer ones that have a past record backing them and are definitely looked upon highly, but depending on your own goals for the flashcart, a different flashcart may prove to be a wiser choice. The main differences between the two...well they are fairly similar and both have similar features such as Real Time Save and Real Time Guide, both of which people sparringly use anyways. Admittedly the DSTWO has things specific to itself, such as the current best SNES/GBA emulators as well as the FreeCheat feature (another thing that people don't use often).
In terms of basic use, either can be used interchangeably as they both have high compatibility with the releases, thus the only real defining factor between the two in terms of NDS gaming is the presence of the FreeCheat (and I believe that the RTS/RTG for the DSTWO are somewhat stabler, but I've never actually tried it) and doesn't really deserve much more mention.

On the other hand, both a different way of obtaining more power for homebrew developers. The DSTWO uses an internal method whereas the iEvo obviously uses DSi-mode. Between the two, the internal method allows for video decoding with the power it packs, but many times I find that it accomplishes less than converting to DPG and watching it with Moonshell2 (load times are significantly faster with DPG and the menu itself is spiffy). Due to the extra power, the DSTWO also has the great SNES and GBA emulators which, though not perfect, are fairly decent enough. Apart from theses, users are reliant that homebrew devs want to poke at the broken SDK provided in which any previous project would have to be FULLY ported over to the new SDK before it can work. The iEvo instead used a smarter method by integrating their libraries with devkitpro, allowing homebrew devs to just need a recompiling with the new libraries (much more appealing than porting EVERYTHING over for the group of people that have a DSTWO).

-_-" Blegh...no time, need to go to class...maybe I'll finish this post later.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
haddad said:
I would go for the Supercard DS2 for many reason because

- Better team support
- Built in GBA/SNES/Video player
- Cheaper and better

The CycloDS iEvo's only good thing is the DSi-Mode and you can only some dsi-enhanced games and it does not work all the time. The plugins/features for the DS2 is also much nicer

I completely agree. Also, DSTwo let use other firmware/OS if you like with a minimum knowledge. iEvo will be a great card but not now because the very bad quality in the initial batch, very bad compatibility with enhanced DSi games (and bad dumps of games, of course) and finally not let to use DSi-Ware. To use DSi mode with homebrew (and benefit of more power and ram) need to be recompiled...finally it's too expensive for what it offers.

In terms of nds games I think that both are great flashcard, so you have the final decision depending of your target.
tongue.gif

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Interesting and thanks for the answers so far.

After reading the replies so far, i must say am leaning towards the Supercard DSTWO indeed. But i know DSTWO has been out for a while now, so is there any chance there may come a new Supercard anytime soon, making the DSTWO obsolete maybe?

Video ain't a big deal for me, homebrew and game compatibility is probably the most important things for me. And again, i guess both flashcarts will play Pokemon Black/White without any trouble? Or may iEvo be able to use some functions in Black/White that DSTWO won't be able to use because of the DSi-Mode?

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nitrius said:

After reading the replies so far, i must say am leaning towards the Supercard DSTWO indeed. But i know DSTWO has been out for a while now, so is there any chance there may come a new Supercard anytime soon, making the DSTWO obsolete maybe?

Video ain't a big deal for me, homebrew and game compatibility is probably the most important things for me. And again, i guess both flashcarts will play Pokemon Black/White without any trouble? Or may iEvo be able to use some functions in Black/White that DSTWO won't be able to use because of the DSi-Mode?

I don't know if Black/White are DSi enhanced because I'm not a big fan of they but until I know both can play them. SuperCard bet for that card very strong, I doubt they release a new card shortly but also DSTwo is upgradable (it's supposed that TeamSC is/will be working in a DSi mode for it). In other hand, both can play nds games on 3ds

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Boriar said:
Nitrius said:

I don't know if Black/White are DSi enhanced because I'm not a big fan of they but until I know both can play them. SuperCard bet for that card very strong, I doubt they release a new card shortly but also DSTwo is upgradable (it's supposed that TeamSC is/will be working in a DSi mode for it). In other hand, both can play nds games on 3ds

it could be a new card or a update to the current ds2, they said sometime around may

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So the Supercard team is working on unlocking the DSi-Mode as well? But if it comes as an update for the DSTWO or a completely new card from them is still a bit uncertain?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's only an update to the existing ds2 line (a hardware revision if you will) to fix a problem with the chip's speed being too slow, causing it to not work on the 3ds

supercard isn't releasing a new flashcart AFAIK, and i doubt they will til they have 3ds support (in terms of being able to access the 3ds's hardware/ play 3ds games)

Edit: supercard might be working on dsi-mode in the future but they said they are focusing on the 3ds and any anti-piracy measures nintendo will be taking in the next update for now

Edit 2: also, yes the dstwo won't be able to access the camera and the other dsi-enhanced features in pokemon black/white or any other dsi enhanced game

however there is a chance that dsi mode might come in the future, but as i said 3ds is a much greater priority and only a few game actually did anything with the dsi's extra hardware anyway

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Boriar said:
DSTwo let use other firmware/OS if you like with a minimum knowledge. iMenu and such are plug-in menu replacements, not other Firmware. DS games still need to be loaded from the original DSTwo OS.

the very bad quality in the initial batchI've got a 1st batch unit and I haven't had any problems with using the cart (true the casing was a bit off, but that isn't a problem/can be fixed),
very bad compatibility with enhanced DSi games (and bad dumps of games, of course) This is BS, all games work in DSL mode without a problem, some games have enhanced features in DSi mode. DSi mode isn't working 100%, but then again nothing is 100% perfect in the beginning.
not let to use DSi-WareDSiWare is not something loaded of a cart. This is something no other can do either so no point in bringing it up as a minus for one, but not the other.
To use DSi mode with homebrew (and benefit of more power and ram) need to be recompiled. Wrong again. The compatibility layer does enable older homebrew to use the DSi features, albeit it isn't working 100% as mentioned before regarding DSi mode. Quite a few homebrew has been compiled with new Libraries, but considering the DSTwo needs to be completely remade for the CPU and all, it's quite different to making changes for DSi mode..

I own both carts and use both of them for different uses. Sure the DSTwo has nice plug-ins and all (some are broken "as badly" as the DSi mode on the iEvo), but the iEvo does have added features for quite a few games. Game compatibility for both carts is around the same level, in other words, nearly all games so far released work on them. I'd read jurassicplayer's reply because it's the only one on this thread that actually gives a more neutral approach to the discussion. Regarding 3DS games and such, future'll only tell what is needed to load games on the 3DS.

Bottom line of this post: Both carts are good in their own way, depends on how you use them. There are plenty of topics regarding the uses of the DSTwo processor and the iEvo DSi mode, i'd recommend reading them.

People tend to say the other one is a piece of dung because they own it and possibly haven't even tried the other.

-Qtis

ps. This is not in any way a rant at Boriar in person. I'm just a bit tired and had enough of people claiming things without even trying it/having any knowledge of how something really works..

EDIT: Also a good chart to check out regarding the flashcarts Flashcart WIKI

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Qtis said:
Boriar said:
very bad compatibility with enhanced DSi games (and bad dumps of games, of course) This is BS, all games work in DSL mode without a problem, some games have enhanced features in DSi mode. DSi mode isn't working 100%, but then again nothing is 100% perfect in the beginning.
not let to use DSi-WareDSiWare is not something loaded of a cart. This is something no other can do either so no point in bringing it up as a minus for one, but not the other.
To use DSi mode with homebrew (and benefit of more power and ram) need to be recompiled. Wrong again. The compatibility layer does enable older homebrew to use the DSi features, albeit it isn't working 100% as mentioned before regarding DSi mode. Quite a few homebrew has been compiled with new Libraries, but considering the DSTwo needs to be completely remade for the CPU and all, it's quite different to making changes for DSi mode..
i'm pretty sure he meant in dsi mode, it's pretty much a given that all the high quality flashcarts will play all games these days

and pointing out dsiware is important because that's one of the main draws of the dsi, and thus one of the main draws of the only dsi-capable flashcart (if you are misinformed anyway)

and yes, it is completely different coding the the dstwo and the sdk is pretty much garbage (or so i've heard from developers, however libbag does make it better).
meanwhile dsi mode just requires a recompile, however as far as i can tell (of what i've seen so far) the cpu on the dstwo seems to make a bigger difference than dsi mode if the developer is willing to put in the effort

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
i'm pretty sure he meant in dsi mode, it's pretty much a given that all the high quality flashcarts will play all games these days

and pointing out dsiware is important because that's one of the main draws of the dsi, and thus one of the main draws of the only dsi-capable flashcart (if you are misinformed anyway)

and yes, it is completely different coding the the dstwo and the sdk is pretty much garbage (or so i've heard from developers, however libbag does make it better).
meanwhile dsi mode just requires a recompile, however as far as i can tell (of what i've seen so far) the cpu on the dstwo seems to make a bigger difference than dsi mode if the developer is willing to put in the effort

YES!!!!!!!!!!
hrth.gif

Finally, someone who understands me!!
bow.gif
I don't said in any case that the iEvo be a bad cart, but at this point DSTwo have reach all his promises meanwhile iEvo is at half way of his own. I have several flashcart (and not, I haven't got an iEvo) like an Evo wich I really like so much.

- DSTwo alternate firmwares: It's the same in almost all flashcart (M3 Real, Itouch and a very few other are exceptions)so I know exactly what I did and CycloDS Evo/iEvo does not even have that possibility because his internal loader.
- Defective batch iEvo: For about $70 I want a good shell and well built and so many people and photos said the same (google it).
- DSi enhanced compatibility: They are many bad dumps of it and of course I refered to DSi enhanced mode, for DS mode I don't buy that flashcart.
- Hombrew on DSi mode: The compatibility layer let access to the more powerfull processor and more memory in any case because it's inherent to the enhanced mode, I don't speak of the cameras or SD slot.

For the other issues Terminator02 have answered very well for me.

I' m sure will buy an iEvo in a near future but not now, TeamCyclo is good but tends to overpriced his products (including my own Evo $50
frown.gif
).

@Qtis: no problem with your text. That's a discussion forum and with the proper education I have no problems with criticism
cool.gif
but assume anything about any other person may be dangerous without more talking about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...