Homebrew Custom Theme Thread

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Have 2 themes in the fridge that I was going to upload until you posted this, now I'm waiting to make sure they don't have any more weird issues. Looking forward to it!
Any problems you may encounter when downloading any theme please contact the site administrator (@erman1337) through this topic.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3dsthem-es-your-new-destination-for-custom-3ds-themes.399972/
I know the exact drawable area size for borders but it seems the position of drawable area in 3ds is a bit missplaced, so could you attach your raw border psd that you usually use ? (the one that you use before editing border, err idk whats it called.. maybe base border?), both 64px and 32px please :)
I forgot to mention that I will explain how to position all texture elements evenly. This problem you are experiencing is because Nintendo did not update the theme system with custom textures. It 's been hell to make all the corrections. You should have already noted that the modeled textures of official themes always have the central icon 1px up.

For more details of a look at this topic.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-theme-thread.377399/page-287#post-6940987

I related in this topic all the problems found in official themes.
I'll explain in the extra tutorial topics how to create the following border types.

Preview (10).png Preview (11).png Preview (12).png
Borders with perforations and borders with inflatable effects.

Last edited by Ryumaru,
Reactions: miraclaime

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
New themes everyone
All of them are NieR: Automata themes

NieR: Automata - Boss Battle!
Bgm: Boss Battle 2 Soundtrack NieR Automata
Sfx: randomly taken from another SE games

Nier Automata 3ds preview mc.png

Crossover NieR: Zero - 2b x Rem
Bgm: Platinum Seventeen
Sfx: Same as above

2b x rem 3ds preview.png

NieR: Automata - Yorha no.2 Type B
Bgm: Field, Battle Theme soundtrack NieR Automata

Nier Automata 3ds preview.png

You can download these boot *cough, i mean.. Beauties in here
https://3dsthem.es/?q=user:Miraclaime

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New themes everyone
All of them are NieR: Automata themes

NieR: Automata - Boss Battle!
Bgm: Boss Battle 2 Soundtrack NieR Automata
Sfx: randomly taken from another SE games

View attachment 73734

Crossover NieR: Zero - 2b x Rem
Bgm: Platinum Seventeen

View attachment 73733

NieR: Automata - Yorha no.2 Type B
Bgm: Field, Battle Theme soundtrack NieR Automata

View attachment 73735

You can download these boot *cough, i mean.. Beauties in here
https://3dsthem.es/?q=user:Miraclaime
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) nice

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am extremely happy to share with you my very first theme that I just created. Its for the band Of Monsters and Men, utillizing art from their very cool music videos from the first album, and an instrumental version of part of one of their songs, I think it came out fantastically:

Preview.png

Download: HERE

I had fun making this, I may do others as well, I'd like to do one for blink-182 with their smiley logo.

Ryumaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Definitive tutorial on how to create border textures with the same quality as the official Nintendo themes.
For anyone who wants to see the first part of the tutorial on how to do borders with the same quality of the official themes of Nintendo enter this blog I'm finishing the first part of the tutorial. I must be finishing the first part in a few hours.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/definitiv...uality-as-the-official-nintendo-themes.12024/

Last edited by Ryumaru,

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking at templates for making themes, seeing which ones have the correct spacing between screens. So far I've seen one at 19px (too small for any consoles), and another template along with some people in other forms have said use a universal 56 pixel gap. Perhaps this is what nintendo does, something to work with all consoles, however this doesn't match any consoles at all. On an old 3DS, much more is needed to be taken out, and on a 2ds, much less.
I ended up taking a zoomed in photo of my 2DS with patters on screen and trying to count the pixels, and came up with a 36 pixel gap.
Here's a little template I made, posting it so it might help someone.
Anyway, I'm still not satisfied, so I'm looking for the actual resolution of the 2DS's one big screen, as well as a raw screenshot of it. If anyone could help me dig this up I'd really appreciate it.
(If I had my scanner I'd just use that to get a image without any perspective warp.)
(If anyone's already worked this out I'm sorry for this, I tried searching the thread buy couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm just dumb?)

Attachments

• 2DSTemplate.png
    2DSTemplate.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 242

MartyDreamy

Would you do anything for me?
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Definitive tutorial on how to create border textures with the same quality as the official Nintendo themes.
For anyone who wants to see the first part of the tutorial on how to do borders with the same quality of the official themes of Nintendo enter this blog I'm finishing the first part of the tutorial. I must be finishing the first part in a few hours.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/definitiv...uality-as-the-official-nintendo-themes.12024/
Dude, I don't know why but your borders psd don't want to work on my photoshop

upload_2017-1-5_11-21-23.png

Last edited by MartyDreamy,

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've been looking at templates for making themes, seeing which ones have the correct spacing between screens. So far I've seen one at 19px (too small for any consoles), and another template along with some people in other forms have said use a universal 56 pixel gap. Perhaps this is what nintendo does, something to work with all consoles, however this doesn't match any consoles at all. On an old 3DS, much more is needed to be taken out, and on a 2ds, much less.
I ended up taking a zoomed in photo of my 2DS with patters on screen and trying to count the pixels, and came up with a 36 pixel gap.
Anyway, I'm still not satisfied, so I'm looking for the actual resolution of the 2DS's one big screen, as well as a raw screenshot of it. If anyone could help me dig this up I'd really appreciate it.
(If I had my scanner I'd just use that to get a image without any perspective warp.)
(If anyone's already worked this out I'm sorry for this, I tried searching the thread buy couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm just dumb?)
you mean like my n3ds preview ?

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm dumb, sorry.
You literally mean the template image you're using for the themes there?
I want something similar, but one that maps pixel perfect to the 2DS's resolution for creating themes that have the proper distance between screens.
Yes! Thats exactly what i meant
Oh wait a min..for creating themes ? why do you need the 2ds resolution for it :/
People who use 3ds full preview (like me) is only using it to make the theme looks more appealing, it has nothing to do with creating theme at all

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes! Thats exactly what i meant
Oh wait a min..for creating themes ? why do you need the 2ds resolution for it :/
People who use 3ds full preview (like me) is only using it to make the theme looks more appealing, it has nothing to do with creating theme at all
I mean so I can properly span images like in the attached (Using your example)
vzrrfc.png

It's not having a guide that's really important, it's knowing the gap in pixels between the top and bottom screen.

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I mean so I can properly span images like in the attached (Using your example)
vzrrfc.png

It's not having a guide that's really important, it's knowing the gap in pixels between the top and bottom screen.
Lol :rofl:
Im sorry it just i dont expect this.. You dont need that to make the theme matched with 3ds screen, i have the base for it and you only need to clip it to get the cut just like 3ds screen but sorry i cant share it bcs i cant use my laptop right now maybe tomorow, IIRC ryumaru has it inside his tutorial post or just ask from people who usually posted a theme here like @MartyDreamy or @FlameSpeedster or others if they have it

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol :rofl:
Im sorry it just i dont expect this.. You dont need that to make the theme matched with 3ds screen, i have the base for it and you only need to clip it to get the cut just like 3ds screen but sorry i cant share it bcs i cant use my laptop right now maybe tomorow, IIRC ryumaru has it inside his tutorial post or just ask from people who usually posted a theme here like @MartyDreamy or @FlameSpeedster or others if they have it
I've been making themes, don't worry. I know all about dems 512x256. I'm just trying to make SPANNING themes. Where the cross between the screens actually obfuscates some of the image.
Pic was just an example I threw together with some stock asset.

MartyDreamy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically, yes, and I have been doing it. But I've been using a pixel gap of 36 for my 2DS, and that's just an estimate. I wanna know the EXACT number of unused pixels between the top and bottom displays of the 2DS. I thought a forum like this would be the place to go.
Mhm...I don't know the exact number of unused pixels sorry :/

Ryumaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I have already provided an editable file with the exact size based on these parameters that I did last year.
1456167142238.jpg

If you want to download this link - https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-theme-thread.377399/page-286#post-6939936

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dude, I don't know why but your borders psd don't want to work on my photoshop

View attachment 73794
Which version you are using, I used the CSS6 version to create these files if you are using some lower version may be showing some incompatibility. If this is not the case I suggest you try to open these files in GIMP.

@Tulsleah
The size and distance gives screen of the Nintendo 2ds and the same as the old Nintendo 3ds.

MartyDreamy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have already provided an editable file with the exact size based on these parameters that I did last year.
View attachment 73804
If you want to download this link - https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-theme-thread.377399/page-286#post-6939936

Which version you are using, I used the CSS6 version to create these files if you are using some lower version may be showing some incompatibility. If this is not the case I suggest you try to open these files in GIMP.

@Tulsleah
The size and distance gives screen of the Nintendo 2ds and the same as the old Nintendo 3ds.
Photoshop CS6

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since