Custom ROMs on 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Zekamon, May 25, 2017.

1. Zekamon
    OP

Zekamon Now with extra salt!

Sep 16, 2016
    Germany
    What do you guys think?

Can we expect Custom ROMs like on Android devices any time soon?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    CAn you expand how you mean custom? Not romhack etc?

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Do you mean a custom OS? If so, technically yes, but no one has developed any

4. Zekamon
    OP

Zekamon Now with extra salt!

Sep 16, 2016
    Germany
    I mean like a completely custom OS with new functions, a new look and so on.

Just like the Custom ROMs on rooted Android devices.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

5. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hah, no. The reason there are "Community ROMs" and things like Cyanogenmod for Android is because the base OS is open source. For a similar setup on the 3DS, you would need to re-implement the entire OS by yourself. Nobody is going to put in that kind of work.

Joel16 likes this.
  6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I suspect the most we'll see is something Linux based, either GNU/Linux or a beta Android.

7. smileyhead

smileyhead Vinesauce is my favourite anime.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I'd love it if it'd happen, especially if it was based around the Switch's interface (those big buttons and simplistic design would work really well on the 3DS), but I don't think it'll ever happen.
    I remember @MarcusD working on a HOME Menu replacement (a custom launcher if you will), but I don't know how far that went.

8. MarcusD

MarcusD ソノちゃん❤\xF0\x9F\x8D\xBC

Oct 16, 2015
    Austria
    /Users/Sono/
    Sadly we still have things that barely anyone has tackled yet (including but not limited to wifi, DSP, iirc NFC, and a small bit of MCU).

Also, you'd have to write a kernel-thingy for both CPUs, as some hardware is only accessible on only a specific processor (like GPU is only accessible on ARM11, and iirc touch screen, NAND, and the crypto hardware is only accessible from ARM9), so that's another headache factor.

And making a custom kernel/OS from scratch is definitely a shitton of time. Making it backwards-compatible with the 3DS is nearly impossible (considering that both the 3DS hardware and software is a backwards-compatibility hell).

But if all these doesn't frighten someone then have a good luck with it :P

9. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    You can if you can mod Linux for 3DS as base, but you cannot expect play 3DS/NDS/GBA games, Internet conection, sound, etc.

10. MarcusD

MarcusD ソノちゃん❤\xF0\x9F\x8D\xBC

Oct 16, 2015
    Austria
    /Users/Sono/
    if someone were to reverse engineer the things I said (NFC is not needed to function though) then it should be possible to do things with 3DS Linux

11. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Well since screen init was a pain early A9LH's days I don't think someone will bother with other fuctions.