Not open for further replies.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
Modded Wiis cannot read "normal" DVDs, only Wii games (burnt or otherwise).

I thought you could install WADs already?
I'll be back when this has all been sorted out properly or when PatchMii is out. I guess all will become clear then.

Yes, from the SD card or a modified real wii game.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
skawo96 said:
Hammi said:
skawo96 said:
If everyone without a modchip will be able to read backups, Nintendo will be ekhm...very angry and will be trying to stop homebrew, homebrew channel, TP hack and so on (thay started to do it, but not that good as they would). Now, if you have a modchip you void the varranty, so if your wii broke, your screwed and you have to practically buy ba new wii, what can refund the games you pirated. A custom IOS that you can uninstall then ...y' know...They will try their best to stop it. They can even do the worst things like bricking machines with IOSxxx, because a customization like this would just shorten lifespan of the Wii, and a few da best titles like "Horzez" would stop coming for Wii, because NO ONE would buy them.

Dude, are you sure you thought this through? Do you really think that the target audience for "Horzez" would softmod their wii? I honestly don't think they even know something like that is possible.
Lol, it was a joke and an example, dude. I'm saying that these companies making games like these may stop making games for wii, because who would buy a game like this...just run custom ios, download, burn, play. And you void no warranty. So, if companies would stop making games for wii, wii would have shorter lifespan - remember Dreamcast? Piracy ATE it! No games were made for it, 'cause nobody had bought them when you just downloaded iso and burned it on CD.
there still makeing dreamcast game in japan.
What?
wacko.gif
Only "games" I see are homebrew ones.

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
linkinworm said:
skawo96 said:
Hammi said:
skawo96 said:
If everyone without a modchip will be able to read backups, Nintendo will be ekhm...very angry and will be trying to stop homebrew, homebrew channel, TP hack and so on (thay started to do it, but not that good as they would). Now, if you have a modchip you void the varranty, so if your wii broke, your screwed and you have to practically buy ba new wii, what can refund the games you pirated. A custom IOS that you can uninstall then ...y' know...They will try their best to stop it. They can even do the worst things like bricking machines with IOSxxx, because a customization like this would just shorten lifespan of the Wii, and a few da best titles like "Horzez" would stop coming for Wii, because NO ONE would buy them.

Dude, are you sure you thought this through? Do you really think that the target audience for "Horzez" would softmod their wii? I honestly don't think they even know something like that is possible.
Lol, it was a joke and an example, dude. I'm saying that these companies making games like these may stop making games for wii, because who would buy a game like this...just run custom ios, download, burn, play. And you void no warranty. So, if companies would stop making games for wii, wii would have shorter lifespan - remember Dreamcast? Piracy ATE it! No games were made for it, 'cause nobody had bought them when you just downloaded iso and burned it on CD.
there still makeing dreamcast game in japan.
What?
wacko.gif
Only "games" I see are homebrew ones.
thats because there only released in japan, and most of them are virtical shooters

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
These don't count. I could make game for GameCube like Tetris and would you count it as real GameCube game?

...who cares, back to the wii...

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WTF, these games are not homebrew, they are sold in the shops and published by major japanese game companies for the dreamcast

for one trigger heart excilea(cant remember the last name) was released about a month on dreamcast befor it was on XBLA

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
WTF, these games are not homebrew, they are sold in the shops and published by major japanese game companies for the dreamcast
rolleyes.gif
How many games are made by this company for Dreamcast, does them are licensed by Sega, and does Dreamcast is selling in these japanese shops with these games? Answers: Not many, maybe, no. Bah, does it mean something? Dreamcast died, because of piracy and this is a fact.
rolleyes.gif
When did you last time saw Dreamcast in console (not retro) shop, in box standing next to PS3s, XBOX360s and Wiis?

Back to wii. Please.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
skawo96 said:
linkinworm said:
rolleyes.gif
How many games are made by this company for Dreamcast, does them are licensed by Sega, and does Dreamcast is selling in these japanese shops with these games? Answers: Not many, maybe, no. Bah, does it mean something? Dreamcast died, because of piracy and this is a fact.
rolleyes.gif
Can you prove it with serious and reliable evidence(s) ?

Remember, everything that can't be proved doesn't exist.

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dreamcast didnt die because of piracy dreamcast died because it came out round the same time as ps2.. the didnt have a dvd drive and they didnt get many sold ... thats why so get your facts straight boy.. and because the ps2 have dvd and played dvd the main seller was ps2 it could make better games because of the space for the game dreamcast couldnt make bigger and bigger and better games because they limited to the cd

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I even said something!, dont eat me! NOOOO!

The same way you're saying that DC died because of PS2, then N64 should die because of Ps. Of course it did not, because was first that powerful homeconsole.

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
linkinworm said:
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
When did you last time saw Dreamcast in console (not retro) shop, in box standing next to PS3s, XBOX360s and Wiis?

Back to wii. Please.
what the dreamcast being sold next to ps3 got to do with anything? the fact is that in JAPAN JAPAN! they are still making games for dreamcast it doesnt matter if the console is dead.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/you-cannot-kill-i...ames-291108.php

i think i win here

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
Sorry I even said something!, dont eat me! NOOOO!

The same way you're saying that DC died because of PS2, then N64 should die because of Ps. Of course it did not, because was first that powerful homeconsole.

um yeh the dreamcast did die in uk and us because of the ps2 hmmmm maybe if u read up on it you would know but hey w/e you think you know

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I go to sleep and wake up to a warning and a thread that's twice as long, but mostly spam... great...

To the mod that was busy last night: The clarification on IOS is that we are entitled to any piece of software that is distributed freely and openly by Nintendo. For example, if someone who purchased a new Wii decided they would like Photo Channel 1.0 for the MP3 support, it's within our legal means to be able to provide it. The software is free and by purchasing a Wii, we've bought our rights to use it in any legal manner we see fit.

It's the equivalent of a Windows Service Pack. Nothing more, nothing less.

@Everyone talking about a softmod/DVD drive:

The firmware on the Wii drive is probably read only, meaning that any modification to it isn't going to happen. An alternative would be to simulate the header in homebrew and force the drive to start at the first sector. Modifying the IOS could also allow you to redirect the syscalls to USB or SD.

In any case, this thread has gone downhill from all of the warnings...

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
teq said:
So, I go to sleep and wake up to a warning and a thread that's twice as long, but mostly spam... great...

To the mod that was busy last night: The clarification on IOS is that we are entitled to any piece of software that is distributed freely and openly by Nintendo. For example, if someone who purchased a new Wii decided they would like Photo Channel 1.0 for the MP3 support, it's within our legal means to be able to provide it. The software is free and by purchasing a Wii, we've bought our rights to use it in any legal manner we see fit.

It's the equivalent of a Windows Service Pack. Nothing more, nothing less.

@Everyone talking about a softmod/DVD drive:

The firmware on the Wii drive is probably read only, meaning that any modification to it isn't going to happen. An alternative would be to simulate the header in homebrew and force the drive to start at the first sector. Modifying the IOS could also allow you to redirect the syscalls to USB or SD.

In any case, this thread has gone downhill from all of the warnings...

at least someone has said this i completely agree teq nice one. im always saying the same thing about the wii and thats its rights are ours when we purchase it nintendo give up all rights to it

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
An unmodded wii cannot read a DVD-R and this has nothing to do with it. Period.

A modded wii can read DVD-Rs but IOS restricts you to game format DVDs (signed and encrypted). The UnencryptedRead patch disables this restriction, which means that you can read standard format DVDs and DVD-Rs (movies, normal ISO9660 filesystems, etc). If you have a modchip.

End of story.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elfsander said:
The DVD drive's firmware isn't readonly. This because drivechips alter it to make the wii run backups.

The D2x isn't the drive's firmware, but rather an I/O controller.

The drivechip never comes in contact with the firmware.

marcanAn unmodded wii cannot read a DVD-R and this has nothing to do with it. Period.

A modded wii can read DVD-Rs but IOS restricts you to game format DVDs (signed and encrypted). The UnencryptedRead patch disables this restriction, which means that you can read standard format DVDs and DVD-Rs (movies, normal ISO9660 filesystems, etc). If you have a modchip.

What controls sector reads, then? D2x?

There has to be some software intervention somewhere along the line... these games aren't exactly streamed sequentially, like movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1