Hacking custom IOS release

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
It's so bad that I could easily write a (legal) installer that, given his patcher, installs his custom IOS37 without actually requiring the original IOS37. He changed the title key and produced a patch for the resulting wad. Since the title key changed, the encrypted data now looks different, and the patch patches out EVERYTHING. His patcher contains the entirety of IOS37. Even without the title key mod, it still would contain a large amount of Nintendo code because everything AFTER his patches would encrypt differently (as that is how CBC encryption works) and still be included.

This thing is just as illegal as distributing the original IOS37, or even more (since the code here is patched).

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
marcan said:
It's so bad that I could easily write a (legal) installer that, given his patcher, installs his custom IOS37 without actually requiring the original IOS37. He changed the title key and produced a patch for the resulting wad. Since the title key changed, the encrypted data now looks different, and the patch patches out EVERYTHING. His patcher contains the entirety of IOS37. Even without the title key mod, it still would contain a large amount of Nintendo code because everything AFTER his patches would encrypt differently (as that is how CBC encryption works) and still be included.

This thing is just as illegal as distributing the original IOS37, or even more (since the code here is patched).
oooo thats bad news, after i installed it i have yet to see what change it has made tbh, so i guess you wont be taking it into the patchMii?

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
PatchMii already contained the patches that Waninkoko used for his IOS before he did. They are the signing disable patch, and the dvd unencrypted read restriction disable patch. Except we do it by patching decrypted data, and download the originals from the internet automatically, which is completely legal.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
They are the signing disable patch, and the dvd unencrypted read restriction disable patch.

*Has a fit of excitement* So we will be able to read stuff off DVD-Rs in some form on unmodded Wiis? I assume that's what it means anyway. Oh, and thanks for introducing some information to this chaos, I've been extremely confused by the whole thing.
This opens a lot of doors, so thanks Marcan.

And I think the suggestion from his post is to avoid using this custom IOS release from Waninkoko as it's illegal (and besides that, difficult to obtain anyway). Just wait for PatchMii people.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
They are the signing disable patch, and the dvd unencrypted read restriction disable patch.

*Has a fit of excitement* So we will be able to read stuff off DVD-Rs in some form on unmodded Wiis?

No. Calm down again
tongue.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
No. Calm down again
Okay, lol.
But what does it mean? Modded Wiis can already read off DVD-Rs can't they? So I don't see the benefit. Besides, modding is illegal
tongue.gif
, so why would Bushing, Marcan and Co. support it.

Oh, and I guess the signing disable patch means the trucha bug is exploitable again (or totally ignorable)? So region-freeness for modded Wiis still? Stop me if I'm going wrong again.

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
No. Calm down again
Okay, lol.
But what does it mean? Modded Wiis can already read off DVD-Rs can't they? So I don't see the benefit. Besides, modding is illegal
tongue.gif
they dont, i think they want to release something that can boot modified disks like a recovory disk, or linux disk, without the need for a modchip. not for backups, if that was the case they could probs modify there patched IOS to read off an elf on a burned disk, but still keep it so that burned wii games wont work.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
No. Calm down again
Okay, lol.
tongue.gif
If everyone without a modchip will be able to read backups, Nintendo will be ekhm...very angry and will be trying to stop homebrew, homebrew channel, TP hack and so on (thay started to do it, but not that good as they would). Now, if you have a modchip you void the varranty, so if your wii broke, your screwed and you have to practically buy ba new wii, what can refund the games you pirated. A custom IOS that you can uninstall then ...y' know...They will try their best to stop it. They can even do the worst things like bricking machines with IOSxxx, because a customization like this would just shorten lifespan of the Wii, and a few da best titles like "Horzez" would stop coming for Wii, because NO ONE would buy them.

Bushing supports modchips, because he wants Nintendo to "go away" from his project of homebrew and get their Horzez on pirates.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
they dont, i think they want to release something that can boot modified disks like a recovory disk, or linux disk, without the need for a modchip. not for backups, if that was the case they could probs modify there patched IOS to read off an elf on a burned disk, but still keep it so that burned wii games wont work.
Wait, you've confused me more. Are you sure what you're saying is correct?

Can someone once and for all clarify exactly what Marcan said means for Wiis?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
No. Calm down again
Okay, lol.
tongue.gif

Modded Wiis cannot read "normal" DVDs, only Wii games (burnt or otherwise). The drive itself rejects the disc on an unmodded wii.

Hammi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
If everyone without a modchip will be able to read backups, Nintendo will be ekhm...very angry and will be trying to stop homebrew, homebrew channel, TP hack and so on (thay started to do it, but not that good as they would). Now, if you have a modchip you void the varranty, so if your wii broke, your screwed and you have to practically buy ba new wii, what can refund the games you pirated. A custom IOS that you can uninstall then ...y' know...They will try their best to stop it. They can even do the worst things like bricking machines with IOSxxx, because a customization like this would just shorten lifespan of the Wii, and a few da best titles like "Horzez" would stop coming for Wii, because NO ONE would buy them.

Dude, are you sure you thought this through? Do you really think that the target audience for "Horzez" would softmod their wii? I honestly don't think they even know something like that is possible.

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
linkinworm said:
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
No. Calm down again
Okay, lol.
tongue.gif

Modded Wiis cannot read "normal" DVDs, only Wii games (burnt or otherwise). The drive itself rejects the disc on an unmodded wii.
well we will see wont we, because the wii can read other formats other than the wii, GC games for example, and VC games that are on disks, umm with old homebrew for GC you could boot GCOS disks not a wii game.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Hammi said:
skawo96 said:

Dude, are you sure you thought this through? Do you really think that the target audience for "Horzez" would softmod their wii? I honestly don't think they even know something like that is possible.
Lol, it was a joke and an example, dude. I'm saying that these companies making games like these may stop making games for wii, because who would buy a game like this...just run custom ios, download, burn, play. And you void no warranty. So, if companies would stop making games for wii, wii would have shorter lifespan - remember Dreamcast? Piracy ATE it! No games were made for it, 'cause nobody had bought them when you just downloaded iso and burned it on CD.

Kairi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Several sites are saying that’s its been confirmed that with the patched IOS and modified gensplus that it is indeed loading roms from the dvd drive on non modded wii's. I installed it and had no luck but i know my dvd burner is in need or replacing and is very dodgy at the moment can anyone confirm that it does or does not work on unmodded wii's?

linkinworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
Hammi said:
skawo96 said:

Lol, it was a joke and an example, dude. I'm saying that these companies making games like these may stop making games for wii, because who would buy a game like this...just run custom ios, download, burn, play. And you void no warranty. So, if companies would stop making games for wii, wii would have shorter lifespan - remember Dreamcast? Piracy ATE it! No games were made for it, 'cause nobody had bought them when you just downloaded iso and burned it on CD.
there still makeing dreamcast game in japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...