WiiHackNewbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

My Wii's disc drive seems to have died, so I think that's a pretty good opportunity to get it replaced and hardmodded.

Since I'll be able to play burnt discs, I was wondering if a few things were possible...

1) With Super Mario All-Stars Anniversary Edition, would it be possible to make a custom version of that game and replace All-Stars with any other SuperNES rom and then burn that to disc so its playable on the hardmodded Wii? It's better than Virtual Console because I'd get both Classic Controller and horizontal Wiimote support. Specifically, I want to have the "All-Stars + World" version of the game instead. If so, how?

2) On a similar note, is it possible to have self-contained emulator+rom combinations on disc and playable? Like Virtual Console WADs, but on disc. Getting tired of having to hook up the N64 to play some GoldenEye.

So, if either of those are possible. A brief tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiHackNewbie said:
Hi,

My Wii's disc drive seems to have died, so I think that's a pretty good opportunity to get it replaced and hardmodded.

Since I'll be able to play burnt discs, I was wondering if a few things were possible...
I'm just going to stop you there. Unless you buy a drive from an old Wii, you won't be able to play burned discs.

Wez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
WiiHackNewbie said:
Hi,

My Wii's disc drive seems to have died, so I think that's a pretty good opportunity to get it replaced...
I'm just going to stop you there. Unless you buy a drive from an old Wii, you won't be able to play burned discs.

I think you need to re-read, OP already knows this.

To the OP; I'm not sure for definite about replacing the All star games, I think these are actually ported for the Wii and not actually roms and an emulator but i may be wrong (I dont own it).

As for number 2# search for the selfbooting wii emu disk.

WiiHackNewbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wez said:
JoostinOnline said:
WiiHackNewbie said:
Hi,

My Wii's disc drive seems to have died, so I think that's a pretty good opportunity to get it replaced...

I think you need to re-read, OP already knows this.

To the OP; I'm not sure for definite about replacing the All star games, I think these are actually ported for the Wii and not actually roms and an emulator but i may be wrong (I dont own it).

As for number 2# search for the selfbooting wii emu disk.
Oh, okay. I assumed Nintendo went a rom+emulator route like they did for The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition and Master Quest on the GCN.

And, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For the record: you DO know that softmodding allows you to use a USB drive for loading games, right? I don't really see the point of hardmodding considering you can just get an external USB drive and have all wii games and homebrew running from that.

As for your questions:

1. i don't know for getting it on the disk, but there is a "all stars + world" wad as wiiware floating around on the internet. You'll need to softmod your wii to use it, but if you do, you can just install that on your wii itself.

2. Wez's solution is probably the easier, but you may want to look into PunEmu as well. This is also an emulator disc, except that you have to add all the gameboy, nes, snes, genesis or n64 roms manually before creating an actual disk. That way, you can fill up a disc with just the games you want to play, rather than have 10 gazillion random games you never heard of.

(keep in mind that this project uses wii64 for N64 roms, and that far from all games work on that emulator, let alone play fluently).

WiiHackNewbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wever said:
For the record: you DO know that softmodding allows you to use a USB drive for loading games, right? I don't really see the point of hardmodding considering you can just get an external USB drive and have all wii games and homebrew running from that.
A few reasons:
- Because I only really considered this once my disc drive died.
- I don't want to copy and store all the games I've already bought.
- I can replace the drive and hardmod it because I know someone who will do it for me. He was going to replace the drive for me regardless when it stopped working (Nintendo's warranty has expired) and asked if I wanted it modded in the process. So, I've agreed thinking I can do something nifty with it (and that's what I'm looking into).
- While unlikely, softmodded could brick my Wii, hardmodding shouldn't.

Thanks though! I'll keep your other suggestions in mind

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...these are valid reasons (except maybe the last...that's a matter of viewpoint). Hope you'll have fun with it.
smile.gif

Oh, and worth mentioning: softmods and hardmods aren't exclusive. You can have them both on your wii. I even heard of someone using a backup disc to run an exploit to install the homebrew channel.
tongue.gif

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hardmods can brick by installing out of region game updates. Depending on the update this may ore may not be easy to recover from. If you update from an out of region disc you will semi brick your wii. This can have many effects depending on the current region and that of the update, but take for example a Korean wii system that takes an update from an NTSC-U game, this would permanently brick the wii, there is no fix. There may or may not be other region setting system menu mismatch that cause issue, I don't know, but you can brick a hardmod, it is no safer than a softmod since there is no recovery in place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves